Deciding if I should do Low Carb to lose weight?

Options
After successfully losing 80 lbs in 2005 on Atkins, I regained all of it plus about another 160 lbs and now find myself at nearly 400 lbs, constantly waking up each night to snack in order to fall back asleep, and only to find myself bingeing and telling myself I will restart Monday and then fall off by Monday night. To be honest, I am afraid of starting Atkins or any low carb diet again, as I am afraid I will yo yo back and forth and lose a bunch of weight, only to gain it all back. I do remember being full, not having binges, and feeling pretty great in 2005 while losing all that weight. I never really went through all 4 stages of Atkins so I didn't follow I to the T.

Anyone on here have long-term success sticking with Atkins or low carb? I am at a cross roads and have to go see my Dr this Friday for a follow up and am afraid nothing is going to change for the better, Unless I do something I can stick with. Thanks!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Lower carb helps a lot of people in the ways you already mentioned.

In the process of losing my weight and the following ten years of maintenance I've tried all kinds of strategies so I think it is sometimes a moving target.

The bottom line for all my meandering ways has always been calories calories calories. Eating fewer carbs than I used to does work for my hunger levels, so does eating two larger meals a day only.

Find what works for you and a way that you can use long-term. I think start with logging all your food every day and paying attention to how foods make you feel - do they help you feel full longer, etc.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I guess you need to ask yourself, why did you quit Atkins? Did you find it sustainable? Can you live long term with low carb?

It is definitely a viable option and many of the low carb success stories hang out in the low carb group.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The only way to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. Some people do that eating low carb, some do it by eating smaller portions of all foods, some people need a diet with a specific food plan, some do it by eating "clean". The important thing is to find a way of eating that you enjoy and that keeps you full on the right amount of calories. Finding it can take some trial and error.

I know some people who lost weight eating low carb and enjoyed it so much they continue to eat that way successfully in maintenance. I was never able to stick with low carb (I actually find grains and potatoes fill me up with a reasonable serving) so it just didn't work for me.

I think it's important for you to figure out why you regained. Was it because you didn't really like eating low carb? Or were there other issues involved?

Whatever way you decide to eat, put your stats into MFP to get your calorie goal. Then just start logging your food to see where all your calories are going and where it will be easy to tweak your serving size or make lower cal substitutions. Avoid drinking calories as much as possible. Move more, however and whenever you can. You can do this!
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Reducing carbs/sugar can have a significant affect on your appetite due to fluctuations in your blood sugar. Carbs generally make you want more carbs. Consider that as a factor. I tend to be a lower carb person normally. When I switch to just veg/meat/cheese my appetite largely goes away. Be aware though, if you are a stress eater, you can still mow through a block of cheese just as easily as someone else noms sleeves of oreos. ;)
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Yes.....go LC no sugar or white carbs for one month, you can always drop this woe. I'm LCHF because the high fat reduces cravings.
    Some ppl can not handle processed foods, give it a try ---- Good Luck
  • shampbj
    shampbj Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    All carbs are not created equal (at least when it comes to satiety). I find I can handle whole grains and other non-processed carbs just fine, but if I eat sugar-y and white flour-y things, I easily fall off track and get more and more cravings. It is of course possible to eat cake for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and stay within your calorie allotment, but most people are not going to feel fully satisfied and well-fueled that way. Personally I used to be a carb fiend, but I found adding more protein to my diet than I would usually eat by natural inclination really does make me feel fuller longer when paired with unprocessed carbs (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc.) and a variety of fruits and vegetables and healthy fats. The key to satiety is finding the combination that works for your body, so I echo the idea that you need to track for a while and see what foods keep you full and what keep you reaching for another snack.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has reduced appetite eating low carb. I personally do not find fat satiating, I need a mix of protein and carbs to feel full and not deal with cravings. And I rarely overate stereotypical "carbs".

I just wanted to add that, because when I tried low carb I was still hungry and crave-y all the time and felt like a failure, because all I heard was that fat is universally satiating. It is for some people, not everyone!
  • bluets2011
    bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It's about what fits your individual needs. I've tried a few diets before, and struggled for most of my life with binge and emotional eating. 47 days ago I started LCHF and my insulin is balanced (no naps after lunch) or comatose states during working hours, I feel full all the time and some days struggle to reach my calorie goal (1200). And! Lost 13pounds. I couldn't be happier and it seems it's a way of eating I'd be able to live on. I will want to go back to wine once I reach goal :-)
  • brendacs21
    brendacs21 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I did the atkins as well in 2005, I lost about 40 lbs. I gained it all back! Why? Because I was miserable the whole time and missed carbs so the minute I got thin I ate all the carbs I wanted. This go round I have lost 24 lbs by reducing my carb intake. But the difference is I don't count every single carb , I am just mindful of not eating non stop like I used to. I don't miss or crave carbs because I still eat them. I think this time I can sustain this new way of eating
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am not sure it can be called successful if you gained it back plus more.

If you could do it long term and stick with it, then do so. Or maybe a smaller deficit eating all foods would be better. Start by tracking EVERYTHING. This will help you see what you are eating and what you could change.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!