Prune Question! please help! Thanks!

Hey guys!! I need to add prunes to my diet and have no idea what they taste like!! does anyone know what to mix them with? how to buy them -- if they are an actual fruit and not dried, then Im hoping that way. and also what to eat them with because Im like 100% sure I will not like the taste lol. I don't like a lot of things lol. Thanks. :)

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    They're dried plums. I like them in cereal, oatmeal, in rice dishes (diced first), or just by themselves. You will probably find them alongside other dried fruits (like raisins and apricots, etc) in the store.

Why do you *need* to eat them?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Why? Constipated?

They are just dried plums. They taste similar to raisins. In other words, gross.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I love a prune. They're juicier than raisins but I like them too. But yeah, why do you need them? Dried apricots are also good for constipation if that's the issue.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Prunes are dried plums.

Mixing them with something may be problematic. They've got a distinct taste, tend to be sweet but not as sweet as dates. I cook with them, they pair well in a lamb tagine, with roast duck or chicken. You may want to Google recipes with prunes to get some ideas.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Why do you need to add prunes to your diet?
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Hellobeautifuls Posts: 64 Member
    I had an injury for quite a bit -- and haven't been able to really move -- so someone told me its a good idea to eat prunes for a variety of reasons, especially for my back - since Ive been sitting a lot. And they're supposed to be really healthy for you so I really wanted to add them to my diet. And thanks! Ill def look up recipes... I never had raisins before so I guess Ill just have to try them to really know. lol but thanks :) but the cereal seems like a good idea since people have that with raisins... Ill def try that!
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 402 Member
    I love prunes and find them absolutely delicious. I think they are one of the most underrated foods out there. Prunes in syrup and soft prunes are my favourites.
  • Hellobeautifuls
    thanks! theres a difference between soft prunes and prunes?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Well that's certainly a new one to me. Eating enough and healthfully whilst recovering is about all that's necessary beyond physical treatment of the injury.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    thanks! theres a difference between soft prunes and prunes?

"Soft prunes" may be referring to stewed prunes, where prunes are cooked slowly, sometimes with other fruits or some spices. The result can be a topper for oatmeal or pancakes or just eaten by itself for a sweet treat.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Prunes are dried plums.

because "prunes" have become synonymous with "things old people eat so they can poop," there was a rebranding campaign a few years back where they tried to re-name them to "dried plums" and you will still see advertising and packaging that call them that.

I have however never heard the term "Soft prune" and I've never, ever encountered a "hard" prune. Prunes are dried, but they're still soft and sticky.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Prunes are tasty. Try them!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Prunes are delicious. I love them. On my 12th birthday I had a chocolate cake with prunes in it. That was a bit of a surprise but still tasty.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    I had an injury for quite a bit -- and haven't been able to really move -- so someone told me its a good idea to eat prunes for a variety of reasons, especially for my back - since Ive been sitting a lot. And they're supposed to be really healthy for you so I really wanted to add them to my diet. And thanks! Ill def look up recipes... I never had raisins before so I guess Ill just have to try them to really know. lol but thanks :) but the cereal seems like a good idea since people have that with raisins... Ill def try that!

Here's an article with health benefits of prunes and some ways to eat them. I like the taste, and like them as a snack with nuts. If it turns out you like their taste a lot too, be careful about not eating too many prunes as their most well known benefit is to relieve constipation.

http://www.healthline.com/health/food-nutrition/top-benefits-of-prunes-prune-juice#eating-moreprunes11
  • Hellobeautifuls
    thanks everyone!! definitely trying them! and lol to the chocolate cake!! pretty excited to try them after that one!! haha! :smile: and thanks for the article! bookmarking it!! o:)o:)
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Tinned prunes in juice are delicious. I can just eat them on their own or they're nice with some yoghurt.
  • Hellobeautifuls
    thanks!! Im so excited!! lol! I have a little list going! pretty excited to try them now! lol! thanks guys!! :):):)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Wrap those suckers in bacon! YUM!
    They are good. I like them pitted, dried, straight up as a snack. I like em better cold. They are chewier.
    But have blended them in my smoothies before.
    Daughter didnt know what hit her, but she wasnt constipated anymore. Woop!
  • Hellobeautifuls
    lol! bacon?? ok! ill try it! lol. and blending it-- that sounds kinda cool for a hotter summer day. thanks!! thats awesome!