Prune Question! please help! Thanks!

Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I suspect "move" means bowels. Eating prunes gets stuff moving better. If you have a bad back, doing that can be painful and eating prunes would reduce the effort
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Hellobeautifuls Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    thats what I meant to write -- physical therapist. same thing, though. I'm seeing a doctor. but thanks again. I have a doctor! and a reason for all of this - so I've been seeing doctors! but I have a main doctor - thank you. ! I just wanted to write that to explain so there's no other confusion!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    thats what I meant to write -- physical therapist. same thing, though. I'm seeing a doctor. but thanks again. I have a doctor! and a reason for all of this - so I've been seeing doctors! but I have a main doctor - thank you. ! I just wanted to write that to explain so there's no other confusion!!

Physiotherapists and personal trainers are not even close to the same thing. My physiotherapist was amazing at getting my pain levels and mobility back under control when my neck injury had gotten so bad that I was getting daily migraine-like headaches from it and couldn't work. Don't underestimate the value of a good physiotherapist. They have a lot of great tools at their disposal.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I find prune juice works better. I try to drink it without really tasting it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I like to cut them up, soak them in brandy or rum, and use them as a mix in for homemade ice cream (regular custard base).
  • taypop5
    taypop5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I LOVE PRUNES!! So yummy. They are like healthy candy... But watch out a few too many and you'll be panicking to get to the loo! They work EVERY time
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Options
    Thanks guys! The ice cream sounds awesome! Lol! But idk about a liquid!! Lol! And I'll def watch out for too many!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This caused me to have the possibly stupid question: what is prune juice, isn't it just plum juice? (I love plums, but don't think I've had a prune, although I enjoy dried apricots in many of the savory uses mentioned upthread.)

Anyway, I looked it up, and I guess the answer is "not exactly, a prune is made from a specific type of plum."

http://mentalfloss.com/article/52986/how-do-you-juice-prune

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prune
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    lol a personal trainer and a physiotherapist are not even close to being the same thing.
  • StephanieOugh2014
    StephanieOugh2014 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you find you can't eat prunes everyday and you're in Canada then the product holy crap or skinny b is awesome. It's a mix of a few things like chia that help aid your bowels. Mix it with a liquid and let it stand for a few minutes to overnight. I like it with yogurt. It's like a cereal and all natural.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

This caused me to have the possibly stupid question: what is prune juice, isn't it just plum juice? (I love plums, but don't think I've had a prune, although I enjoy dried apricots in many of the savory uses mentioned upthread.)

Anyway, I looked it up, and I guess the answer is "not exactly, a prune is made from a specific type of plum."

http://mentalfloss.com/article/52986/how-do-you-juice-prune

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prune

It's nasty, nasty stuff. Very thick and if you spill any (like my mom did all the time) it gets really sticky and stains carpets and clothing. And the brownish colour is pretty off-putting, too.

Can you tell I'm not a fan? ;)
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Options
    I def accidentally picked up some plum juice and had a cup of that last night! Haha! That's so funny! Not my most favorite thing! And either it has a lot of sugar added or they are very high in sugar! Lol! But checking out that website because I now have a whole bottle of it! Lol and lol! I def can understand why you're not a fan snickers!! Lol! And thanks Stephanie! Maybe they have some by me! And it doesn't need to be everyday but more often than not - especially before I ask my doctor to see if it would help or not!
  • 7sorok
    7sorok Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Try this dessert: In pitless prune put piece of walnut and top it with a touch of sour cream - it's delish.
  • jilleebee77
    jilleebee77 Posts: 329 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else has mentioned it, but if it something you REALLY want to do/eat you can also get the baby food puree and add it to shakes/smoothies.

They are very sweet indeed. I love them just by themselves. My husband HATES them (and raisins) and thinks I am crazy to eat them lol
  • GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    hesn92 says they are gross, but I think they are awesome. I just eat a couple right out of the bag.
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Options
    The prune juice is what I really like -- I have the prunes and I bought a bag ... so I'm trying diff ways. But the juice - is anyone else a fan of that? I think I really like it! Lol!
  • Hellobeautifuls
    Options
    And thanks guys!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Well, of course they're high in sugar. They're dried plums. I really don't think they're going to anything for an injury - perhaps your friend misunderstood (as people in here did) and thought you needed to move your bowels and not your body?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    ....and you were so sure you wouldn't like it. Has it helped your back at all?
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they are not "dry"... they're just "dried". It's been years since I had one, but they're very juicy and sweet. Not tough or "dry". If I'm not mistaken, you can even get the vacuum sealed individual prunes now that you literally toss in your purse and eat at your convenience. Prune Juice, and though? Not so much. It's a little thick for my tastes.