Goal Reached! 135 lbs down--please be encouraged if you have 100+ to lose!

Options
JulieSHelms
JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
It was success photos here on MFP that kept me going, so I'd like to share my own in hopes it will encourage others who feel like they are facing an impossible mountain.

My doctor's advice before I got started? Women with PCOS can't lose weight. The most they can hope for is to maintain...

Age 50
5'8" (& large frame)
SW 300 lbs
GW 165
Duration: 2.3 years
(That includes a 7 month break where nothing was lost. Then I started at MFP and got things going again).
History: Overweight since age 18, Obese since age 22, Morbidly obese since 25. I'm now at my high school weight once again...34 years later! :smile:

Measurements:
Bust 47"-36" (11" lost)
Waist 47"-31" (16" lost)
Hips 53"-39" (14" lost)

Clothing sizes:
Tops--26 Womens to 6/8 Misses
Pants--24W to 10M
Shoes--10WW to 10B
Bra--44C to 34B

Other improvements:normal sugar, normal cholesterol, resting heart rate--60 (down from 100), removed beta blockers (heart arrhythmia is gone) and cutting back on PCOS meds. I ran 5k for the first time yesterday and exercise 6 days/wk. Before, I could run... not more than 10 steps. I've been strength training for 11 months now. I feel so much younger, stronger, and healthier.

Here is the quick before and after, followed by more of step-by-step progress pictures:

1glnvmi8ldfs.jpg

And the progress over 2 years:

tjiiakpukgih.jpg4rlezysg0ui5.jpg

A note about excess skin, just a fact of life with the larger amounts of weight loss. I've got quite a bit especially at tummy and thighs. But I think exercising really helped it not be as bad as it could have been--seemed to tighten up the underlying connective tissue. I'm including one last picture that shows the excess skin at my knees and thighs just so you know what to expect (sorry I don't do underwear pics--will just have to leave that excess skin to the imagination!)

3lbg37c8rn5q.jpg

Those legs aren't pretty, but damn are they strong now! :smiley:

Replies

• SleepingSwan
    SleepingSwan Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!! Well done on your outstanding achievement. I'm sure you will inspire and encourage many people with your story, me included. X x
  • Thehardmakesitworthit
    Thehardmakesitworthit Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Brava! Brava!!!!!! You are stunning and we all know what kind of hard work has been realized! Congrats my friend!
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic!!!!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    YOU LOOK INCREDIBLE !!!
  • SairyGamp
    SairyGamp Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations, you look amazing. This is sooo motivational.
  • havronab
    havronab Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!! You look fabulous. My starting stats and goals are very similar to yours, so it's very encouraging to see what you have accomplished. Congrats!
  • JudyKenova1
    JudyKenova1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What kind of a heart arrhythmia did you have?
    I have PCOS, fatty liver and PVC's...on beta blocker.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Wonderful way to go
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    wow amazing transformation
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a great result after some dedicated work. You look so strong and happy :-) Thanks for sharing
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this -- you give me more hope! Congratulations, and may you have many healthy years!
  • JulieSHelms
    JulieSHelms Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words. :smile:

@natajane
    Do you have any tips on keeping consistency?
    I think the big thing for me (since obviously I have tried and failed at dieting over the last 3 decades) was when I realized I couldn't go on a diet--this just had to be a complete lifestyle change. Somehow that outlook gave me the determination and success because there is no end point, just a new way of doing things forever. My husband asked me why I was still counting calories after I had reached my goal...well, because this is how I do things now.

@JudyKenova1
    What kind of a heart arrhythmia did you have?
    I have PCOS, fatty liver and PVC's...on beta blocker.
    I don't know what kind it was-- no one ever said (it felt like I was dropping beats--like getting punched in the chest). But they suspected it was my thyroid causing it and my thyroid's been wonky for years. I was actually pulled off the beta blocker because my blood pressure has gotten so low since I've lost weight (it runs around 80/40) and they are also a bp med. Thankfully the arrhythmia didn't come back after--so not sure if the weight loss somehow affected that or what. For PCOS, I'm on Spironolactone, also a bp medicine, that I take as a testosterone blocker. So here I already have lowish bp and I was on two bp lowering meds off-label. Two weeks ago I blacked out from low bp and fell face first on a pile of rocks. The dr. wants me off the spiro now, but I just can't because otherwise I will lose my hair. So we compromised and cut it back and are watching my T levels. PCOS just really sucks all around! I'm perimenopause, so just hoping that and weight loss will lessen the PCOS and I can get off all of it.

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!