Is Diet Coke really that bad? Anyone feel better after quiting?

Options
1235»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It depends who you ask..

-People who have a dependence on it and need to drink it everyday will say soda is the nectar of the Gods and will shut down anyone who points out anything negative about it.

OR

-People who have successfully kicked the habit, or others who had to stop drinking because it affected them in a negative way.

Both groups will have a vehement opinion on either side.

I used to be a smoker, plus had one or two other unhealthy addictions/habits and used all the excuses and justifications in the book. No, I'm not comparing soda to cigarettes, but i recognise the excuses and comments people use to justify whatever their habit may to be...

What about people who just enjoy it every now and then because they acknowledge that there is solid foundation to claims that it is harmful?

Valid point :smile: I drink a glass of regular soda when we go out to eat, 2-4 times a year or so. I had a sip of my friends diet coke once, or coke zero or whatever it was and it just tasted wrong, that was my first and last taste of diet soda!
    My posts are more directed toward those that MUST drink it everyday, for me personally, being reliant on something that will make me feel like crap if i don't have it everyday would drive me nuts.

Who said anything about feeling like crap if you don't have it everyday?
    I honestly don't know anyone who MUST drink soda every day. I know people who drink soda/diet soda every day because they like it.

I drink coffee and/or tea every single day, because I like it and it gives me a little energy bump. But if any given day for same reason I can't have a cuppa, I'm fine. I drink diet soda/Crystal Light pretty much every day because I think it's yummy, but when I stay with my brother and they don't have any, I just drink water (or beer LOL). I think it's an assumption that people who get passionate about defending diet soda are doing so because they NEED it. Maybe they're just sick and tired of others suggesting they are addicted to a toxic chemical when they are really just enjoying a health-neutral beverage that made it easier for them to lose weight?

Just do a search of the 10,000,000 "I'm addicted to soda" threads and the suffering these people go through when they try to kick the habit.

Eh, I think it's just a habit like many others. Soda is easy to drink mindlessly, people do, and when they stop -- and this would be anything they were used to consuming regularly and liked -- they'd miss it. Totally apart from the caffeine (as I know what that feels like), I do miss coffee when I don't have it, since I enjoy drinking something besides water (I drink water too), I find it comforting, I like it. If I cut it out and didn't have a good reason in mind or anything to replace it with, it would be hard, but not because I'm dependent on it.

Heck, for that matter, I ALWAYS have a drink by me, and often it's water. If I couldn't have water by me to take a sip from, or if I was expected to eat a meal without a drink, I'd find it difficult and bothersome. I'm not addicted to water (well, except as everyone is, of course, but I don't need it all the time like I'm used to), and yet I'd find that bothersome.

Granted, sometimes people ARE overly dramatic, but they are about lots of other things they try to limit or cut too. I get it. I liked eating mindlessly whatever was around too, and know that can be a hard habit to break and it can be particularly hard with drinks.
  • bettymharris6037
    bettymharris6037 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    I will start by saying that I am a diet soda drinker, but I am also a dental hygienist. The acidity of diet (and regular) soda puts you at a higher risk of cavities. If you sip on one can of soda for awhile or if you drink more than one throughout the day it can have devastating effects on your teeth. Keep in mind it is not the amount you drink, it is the amount of time your teeth are exposed to it. So drink it fast and rinse out with water when you are done!

What if someone used a straw to drink it? I see this a lot with coffee drinks - people using a straw to avoid staining their teeth.

I'm a ridiculous person, but I like to avoid using straws because of the minute possibility that it might increase the wrinkling of the skin around my mouth.

That is so funny, I told someone today that my mouth looks the same as someone who has smoked for 20 years because I drink out of a straw all day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    CatchMom13 wrote: »
    I will start by saying that I am a diet soda drinker, but I am also a dental hygienist. The acidity of diet (and regular) soda puts you at a higher risk of cavities. If you sip on one can of soda for awhile or if you drink more than one throughout the day it can have devastating effects on your teeth. Keep in mind it is not the amount you drink, it is the amount of time your teeth are exposed to it. So drink it fast and rinse out with water when you are done!

What if someone used a straw to drink it? I see this a lot with coffee drinks - people using a straw to avoid staining their teeth.

I'm a ridiculous person, but I like to avoid using straws because of the minute possibility that it might increase the wrinkling of the skin around my mouth.

That is so funny, I told someone today that my mouth looks the same as someone who has smoked for 20 years because I drink out of a straw all day.

Yeah, the wrinkle thing is why i never drink out of straws.

• paulwatts747
    paulwatts747 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Don't like 'em so don't drink 'em. Water is pretty good though. And I do like tea, tiny bit of skim milk, no sugar.
  • tlanger251
    tlanger251 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    there is some research about diet soda and obesity... i'll try to look for a link maybe... There is usually a small amount of carbs in zero calorie drinks and some of those artificial sweeteners can spike your blood sugar and cause a craving for sugar... google "good and bad artificial sweeteners" I do keto, and i started drinking a ton of diet energy (soda stream) six days ago (instead of my 8 ounce red bull a day) and I got kicked out of ketosis big time. but also i ate popcorn so i'm going to do some detective work. i really hope it's the corn and not the diet drinks!
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I drink at least one diet soda a day. I have consistently lost weight. I don't feel any worse for the wear.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    tlanger251 wrote: »
    there is some research about diet soda and obesity... i'll try to look for a link maybe... There is usually a small amount of carbs in zero calorie drinks and some of those artificial sweeteners can spike your blood sugar and cause a craving for sugar... google "good and bad artificial sweeteners" I do keto, and i started drinking a ton of diet energy (soda stream) six days ago (instead of my 8 ounce red bull a day) and I got kicked out of ketosis big time. but also i ate popcorn so i'm going to do some detective work. i really hope it's the corn and not the diet drinks!

I'll save you some work - every link anybody has ever posted shows correlation, and correlation is not the same as causation. One can draw a lot of false conclusions from correlation.

For example, here's a correlation: I see a lot of fat people exercising; therefore, exercise makes you fat.
    Does that make sense?

Yes. Correlation without cause is pretty reasonable in this case. Non-overweight people are probably less likely to have ever had an addiction to soda in the first place (that's a lot of extra calories that would have taken its toll), and thus aren't drinking tons of the diet stuff now in lieu of it. Those already reaching for a sickeningly sweet beverage are presumably already craving sugary stuff.

And as for the ketosis person: um, yeah popcorn=starch.
  • cardioxxbunnyxx
    cardioxxbunnyxx Posts: 39 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I, myself, was addicted to Diet Coke/pepsi. I loved the fact of how it felt me full during my 9-5 job and curbed my 2:30 afternoon slump.. and I was drinking this stuff almost every day.. until I started getting dizzy feeling, like my head was very heavy and could tip back.. like vertigo, at random times, even if I just ate! I went to the doctor and told him what I would eat and drink, and he urged to me cut back on the Diet Coke.. I ended up having an acute toxicity in my body due to the Aspartame. Once I quit the soda, I didn't get that feeling anymore.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I, myself, was addicted to Diet Coke/pepsi. I loved the fact of how it felt me full during my 9-5 job and curbed my 2:30 afternoon slump.. and I was drinking this stuff almost every day.. until I started getting dizzy feeling, like my head was very heavy and could tip back.. like vertigo, at random times, even if I just ate! I went to the doctor and told him what I would eat and drink, and he urged to me cut back on the Diet Coke.. I ended up having an acute toxicity in my body due to the Aspartame. Once I quit the soda, I didn't get that feeling anymore.

Considering the amounts of aspartame you'd need to actually get toxicity from the byproducts, I'd say you should change your doctor.

https://www.andeal.org/topic.cfm?cat=4089
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    tlanger251 wrote: »

I'll save you some work - every link anybody has ever posted shows correlation, and correlation is not the same as causation. One can draw a lot of false conclusions from correlation.

For example, here's a correlation: I see a lot of fat people exercising; therefore, exercise makes you fat.
    Does that make sense?

exactly, they did a study of overweight people and found that they drink diet soda, so diet soda must have some impact on obesity even though it is zero calories..

excess calories cause obesity people, not zero calorie drinks!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

so you drank 20+ gallons of diet soda a day???????
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

More likely one of the 1% of the population that suffers from phenylketonuria
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Unlikely, you'd know from your infancy if you have it since it requires a special diet low in phenylanine.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options

Extremely extremely unlikely.

Nobody who has PKU does not know they have it - it is diagnosed in infancy and people with it must follow an extremely strict diet from infancy onward, for life.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are two reasons I'm happy I quit Diet Coke:
    1. I was less ravenously hungry. I'm one of those people who is made hungry by fake sugar. In my head? Perhaps. I don't care. It was true for me. Diet coke made me crave sweets.
    2. My time being tortured by the dental hygienist was cut in half. She noticed immediately that I had stopped the diet coke. Tooth cleanings are a breeze now.