Do you eat pizza every week?

Options

Replies

• yoherbs421
    yoherbs421 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    GoldenEye_ wrote: »
    I got fat eating pizza +/- 2 times a week- now I don't even really enjoy it anymore. Nowadays I prefer sushi made with pearl barley instead of white rice or miso soup. The best thing is that I could have them every day if I wanted to and still lose weight. It's awesome!! I also have chocolate every day and cookies and ice cream at least twice a week and never have to feel guilty. Have I mentioned yet that I love calorie counting? :#

You got overweight from over eating in general. Go enjoy a slice or two every now and then. Track it. And make sure you stay within goal. I eat all kinds of junk some days but I know its okay because MFP told me so lol. Everybody go enjoy food, just don't be a pig about it!
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    yoherbs421 wrote: »
    I got fat eating pizza +/- 2 times a week- now I don't even really enjoy it anymore. Nowadays I prefer sushi made with pearl barley instead of white rice or miso soup. The best thing is that I could have them every day if I wanted to and still lose weight. It's awesome!! I also have chocolate every day and cookies and ice cream at least twice a week and never have to feel guilty. Have I mentioned yet that I love calorie counting? :#

You got overweight from over eating in general. Go enjoy a slice or two every now and then. Track it. And make sure you stay within goal. I eat all kinds of junk some days but I know its okay because MFP told me so lol. Everybody go enjoy food, just don't be a pig about it!

You did also read I don't really enjoy it anymore right? ;) That's the only reason I don't eat it anymore. As you can also read I replaced it with other foods some people would consider bad and that I still enjoy them because I track them now! Taste buds do change in the process. I also wasn't overweight, just at the top of a healthy weight. I know your intentions are good though, so thanks for that! But you seem to have stopped reading after the first half of my first sentence.
  • yoherbs421
    Options
    When I read "got fat eating pizza" I pictured somebody morbidly obese, my bad!
  • my4boys2002
    my4boys2002 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Pizza is my favorite food I've been having a slice a week
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Pizza is life.
  • GoldenEye_
    GoldenEye_ Posts: 330 Member
    Options

I guess it's an easy mistake. Here in the Netherlands most people just don't weigh that much!
  • karlschaeffer
    karlschaeffer Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Not every week. Had pizza last night for dinner. 1 or 2 slices fits into the calorie count nicely. If really being "healthy", fill up on salad, then have 1 slice.
  • yoherbs421
    Options

I guess it's an easy mistake. Here in the Netherlands most people just don't weigh that much!

Lucky europeans dont get the junk like they do here in NA. I don't weigh that much either!
  • hlwampler1
    hlwampler1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I ate pizza last night....I have 8 year old boys. I swear they would live on the stuff if I'd let them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I usually have pizza or something similar (tonight was spaghetti with meat sauce, garlic bread and wine) every week.

If that slice from Whole Foods fits your calories, how would it harm your weight loss?
    By eating more than one!!!

Any food that you eat that puts you in a surplus of calories would be a deterrent to weight loss, however, OP said the pizza was within her calories and seemed to be hung up on the fact that pizza is bad somehow, just because it's pizza.

I had a 1/4 of a large pepperoni pizza from dominos last night from a concession stand at an event. It was 600 calories and really filling. I'm in maintenance, but even when I was losing I could have fit that in on a regular basis.

I just never understand why people think that all pizza is some huge calorie bomb and/or inherently bad because of the components of it.

I get a frozen pizza in Australia that is about 800 calories for the whole pizza. It's not quite as good as a take-away pizza but it is reasonably good. We have that on a day when we've done a moderate 50 km bicycle ride because I know I've got the calories for it.

However, when we've done a 100+ km bicycle ride, I got to Dominos and get a pizza worth 1200 cal or more. :)
  • double_nn
    double_nn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat pizza every week. My husband and I split an Amy's frozen pizza, and it's 390 calories for half of it. We also make a home made pizza that's pretty good and filling (since I add greens to the top)
  • DaddyDunk91
    DaddyDunk91 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Waiting for dominos to arrive as we speak!!
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    I love it but rarely eat it. It takes up too many of my calories...does nothing to help me get to my protein goal...and it leaves me hungry.

If I really want something pizza like I'll throw one together on lavash bread with a ton of meat on it. It isn't the same but it gets the craving satisfied.
  • mom2kateRH
    mom2kateRH Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a homemade deep dish (gasp!) Pizza in the oven right now. And, I'm going to have a glass of wine, too.
  • celestestar
    celestestar Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love pizza, i would eat it everyday if i could, but only eat it once a blue moon as i tend to eat the entire pizza in one go
  • MontyMuttland
    MontyMuttland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The pizza topic comes up on this forum pretty regularly and there's always a division of opinion about how good or otherwise pizza is for you, often with complaints about people demonising pizza as some kind of anti-food.
    The point that nobody can dispute is that if you eat a quantity of pizza that is within your daily calorie allowance, then you won't gain weight from it, the same as any other food or drink you consume.
    However, that doesn't change the fact that pizza isn't a great choice from a nutritional point of view, so not really an awesome choice for anyone who is struggling to control their weight.
    Before jumping down my throat about the last statement, I would urge you to read this article:
    http://physiqonomics.com/eating-too-much/
    It's been linked in many topics and is an essential read for anyone looking to understand more about nutrition and being in control of what you're eating.
    Those who cannot bear to read it all should at least scroll down to the section about Calorie Density to gain a better understanding of why pizza isn't such a great food choice.
    It's calorie dense and often pretty high in fat too.
    As someone living in the UK, I looked up several types of pizza available to buy here, to get an idea of the calorie density.
    You can repeat the same exercise wherever you are in the world and find similar results.
    In the UK, many pizzas are pretty small, the ones I looked at ranging from 345g to 450g for the entire pizza, though some 600g+ examples can be found here as well.
    The pizzas contain between 220 calories and 300 calories per 100g (depending mostly on the toppings and type of base).
    Now 100g of pizza is a tiny amount by anyone's standard, and I doubt there are many people who would only eat that amount in one meal.
    I'm not here to argue how much people actually do eat, just to say that at that density of calories, you're soon racking up big numbers without actually eating a whole big amount of food.
    For comparison I had a look at some pizzas available from Walmart in the USA and noted that a medium pizza over there was typically 700-750g and an extra large was anything 1275g+
    If nothing else, that shows that a typical slice of pizza in the US is somewhat bigger than you'll typically get in the UK, so when people say they only have a couple of slices, you really can't tell too much from that. It could be just 200g of pizza, but it could also be 500g of pizza.
    Of course it's possible to make pizzas that are far lower in calories, you'll see people giving details of their own creations all the time, so let's not be saying categorically that pizza is evil.
    But on average it's just not great.
    If you're on a reduced calorie diet to try and lose weight, there are far better food choices you can make to sustain your body and keep hunger at bay.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    A piece of traditional veggie pizza, which would be tomato sauce, mozzarella and some veggies has pretty balanced macros and several food groups. Because it is fairly high in fat and has some protein and carbs as well, it's very filling. Sure I could hoover down 1000 cals of pizza, but if I eat with my goals in mind, 2 slices with a side salad and a beer is a filling, nutritious, and super yummy meal. I'd call that pretty awesome.

Maybe you've been eating the wrong pizza.

ETA: calorie dense foods are only dangerous if you aren't monitoring your portions or if the food isn't satiating. If pizza fills you up and you log it toward your cal goal, how is that bad?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    No. But then I have never eaten pizza that often in my life.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Lucky europeans dont get the junk like they do here in NA. I don't weigh that much either!

I live in the US and all the things I am tempted to overeat are available in abundance in Europe.