How the heck do you eat 1600 calories a day??

Options

Replies

• grimmc603
    grimmc603 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    At some point you must have consumed excessive calories consistently to become overweight, it doesn't just happen by accident.

Have you completely changed your eating habits and food/drinks consumed since you started to try and lose weight?

Liquid drinks ( Starbucks, Soda ) were my downfall. Also, I was recently diagnosed with a debilitating disease. So exercise was none existent for the last year. I used to go all day without eating except for dinner. Or I would grab chips or something throughout the day. Dinner was my meal, and that consisted of a meat, veggie and starch. Now I only drink tea or water, no processed foods, and no unnatural sweets like candy and ect. So, someone whose never been an all day eater trying to do this right, and trying to eat 1600 calories a day is frustrating.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    grimmc603 wrote: »
    At some point you must have consumed excessive calories consistently to become overweight, it doesn't just happen by accident.

Have you completely changed your eating habits and food/drinks consumed since you started to try and lose weight?

Liquid drinks ( Starbucks, Soda ) were my downfall. Also, I was recently diagnosed with a debilitating disease. So exercise was none existent for the last year. I used to go all day without eating except for dinner. Or I would grab chips or something throughout the day. Dinner was my meal, and that consisted of a meat, veggie and starch. Now I only drink tea or water, no processed foods, and no unnatural sweets like candy and ect. So, someone whose never been an all day eater trying to do this right, and trying to eat 1600 calories a day is frustrating.

My dinners routinely come in around 1600 calories.

Unless you have a medical prohibition, there's no reason to not have a large dinner. If IF is your habitual/Natural eating pattern, just go with it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I eat about the same calories in 1 large meal and 2 smaller meals (late lunch and dessert). It's not hard....
  • nisa628408
    nisa628408 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with mskimee. You can't really log your food accurately unless you weigh your food. Then when understand the right portions, you can adjust your intake to balance everything out
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It's ok to eat most or all of your calories at one meal. Just try to make sure that meal is relatively balanced. Some ways to add calories: Include a roll with butter, or a glass of milk. If it's too hard to get 1600 in one meal then add another large snack or meal. A smoothie with milk and yogurt and fruit maybe some protein powder can easily be another 300 calories. Nuts are a good high calorie snack. Bananas have 100 calories each.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Funny, 1600 is about the minimum I can eat without feeling like I'm starving

I can't go that low without wanting to eat the drywall right off the kitchen walls. My dinner alone is usually well over 1000 calories.

Same here. One of the key reasons I do IF. I can hold off starting to eat and do a filling protein smoothie mid day but come dinner......
  • chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    Are you weighing food?

No but buying a scale today. Any suggestions on a good one?

I bought one from $15 and it works really great
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    I honestly do not understand these dilemmas.

Lol..Well, when you have never looked at calories before and have no idea how to eat healthy it can be confusing and overwhelming trying to change your life. Who knew that it takes this much healthy food to get to 1600 calories!

Fats are healthy :). Cook your veggies with olive oil or butter, add some avocado, eat more meat! Based on your descriptions that you tended to grab sugar loaded drinks in the past, and tended not to eat much food until dinner time, why not replace those sugary coffee drinks with a better version? Make a coffee protein powder smoothie for the morning to get a few hundred calories. It keeps your habits mostly intact for now, just in a "healthier" way. As time goes on, you may want to adjust, but that might be an easy place to start.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    I'm starving on 1600 calories
  • Juniper210
    Juniper210 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    Are you weighing food?

No but buying a scale today. Any suggestions on a good one?

Ozeri Digital Scale is a really good one and less than 13 bucks.

Here's a typical day for me when I was doing 1600

Breakfast - Whole wheat english muffin (110 cal), Large Egg (70), cheese (50), 1/4 avocado (50) served with half an apple (350 total)

Lunch - Flatbread wrap (100), 2 tbsps peanut butter (190), 2 tbsps dried cranberries (70) (360 total)

Snack - 1 cup Nonfat greek yogurt (120 cal), 1 tbsp peanut butter (90), 2 tbsps walnuts (90), 100 grams strawberries (30) (330 total)

Dinner - Pork Tenderloin 4 oz (120), kale (30), roasted potatoes with peppers & onions (110), roasted brussel sprouts (60), 1 tbsp olive oil (120) (440 total)

Dessert - Sea Salt Caramel Halo Top (80)

Total for the day - 1560