What type of people are attracted to Myfitnesspal?

Options

Replies

• reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm a planner. I like graph, maps, lists. I have piles of lists. Calorie counting appealed to me because it leaves no guess work. It organizes my diet for me so I don't have a mountain of half filled notebooks lying around.
    I'm am also in the best shape of my life because of the upperhand it gives me.

This!
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm a techie freak, open source lover, organizer and planner personally and professionaly. Logging food, water and exercise is like a game :) This topic made me think...I believe not everybody can make success with MFP. Regular users and specially those who post success stories are enough mature/organized/determined/motivated or all together to reach their goal. Those who lack these traits sooner or later quit logging. Several of my friends did just that and I feel really sorry for them. Maybe they will be able find support in their social circles.
  • Phildog47
    Phildog47 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The commonality traits are dependent on which forum you are posting in.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    So, I am curious if all Myfitnesspal user share a common characteristic. Is it a personality trait? Are we all good at something?
    Few of us are short on opinion.

Congrats on losing 10 pounds.

I wanted a tool to track calories. MFP is one of many. The mobile app works pretty good - it's at least in the top three of the calorie counting apps. There is a significant number of users who only use the mobile app, many who don't even know about the community that exists.

Ahhh.. the community. At once repellent and comforting, like your own fart.

I'm likely stuck using MFP for awhile. Maybe forever. Even if a better app and a better website exists (I'm sure it does), the relationships I've made here would make it hard to leave. How much can you really improve looking up food and tracking nutrients? There's just not that much room to leap-frog what's here now. And my friends here.. well, I don't hate them.

Also, this:
    I like the large food database

And the forums make me feel like a genius
  • russbittles
    Options
    I don't know about others, but I am a video game player, and a computer programmer. I think in terms of completing tasks, tracking data, meeting goals, and competing against myself. MFP allows me to apply these traits to my weight loss and strength building goals.

I look at my food log, and think, how can I get the best tasting, most nutritious meal, and stay under my calorie goal for the day? Then I game the system. I add exercise to the mix, because it allows me some flexibility with my meal choices, and even some dessert options. I make healthier food choices, because I get to eat more, stay full longer, and still lose weight.

Seeing the weight drop off some weeks, and not during others, lets me know what works and what doesn't. I then apply this knowledge to the game. Also, seeing the number of days logged in a row go up is like a "score" for me, so I know I'm constantly improving, because my "score" goes up.

Then there are the non scale victories. I need to buy a new shirt for a job interview. I need new pants. I can see lines in my calves and triceps. I can walk 6.2 miles in 100 minutes. These are all measurements of success for me.

Life is a game, and I plan on winning.
  • cristileigh
    cristileigh Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Executive Assistant... that loves to Socialize about a common interest. Accountablity here.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm goal-oriented, like to plan, strategize and analyze. Once I develop habits and systems I like, I tend to stick with them. I'm not a fad type of person at all.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I'm an English teacher and a writer. I'm a totally creative type of person, but I also enjoy planning everything.
  • curly1986
    curly1986 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm a planner. When ever I'm driving somewhere I've never been before I look at the route on google maps, I even look at it on streetview. I write lists for everything, if I dont things just swim round and round in my head. I do a household budget every month. I keep a diary so I know when all my daughters school holidays are, and what activities she does and appointments we have etc. I like to be organised and prepared. For me MFP falls into that category, its another way of being in control and knowing whats going on.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I have a very freethinking, artistic personality.
    I'm also fat and enjoy budgeting.
    This worked out for one side of me, at least. ;]
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,328 Member
    Options
    I am an MFP addict , but I have NEVER logged a single meal. I just tot it all up in my head. Before you all shout I have lost 47 lbs in total and am now normal BMI. Only a few lbs to go now.

I love it for the forums, the success stories, which I find so inspiring, and I love to log my weight and measurements. I am the kind of person who keeps a running total of everything in their head, OCD, and I know all the .calorie values off by heart. I cook all my own delicious meals.

I love that definition, Muscles, Fatties and Pervs. I used to be a fatty, now I am getting to be a muscle!:laugh: . I have also found a great thread that really encourages me every day. I could not have done it without the help I get on there from some wonderful women.

I am so fit I could bust! (I am 63) :love:
  • CGraceEat
    CGraceEat Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes! I agree with the earlier poster that XKCD is an awesome comic and that guy "gets me" too! haha!

I agree - I think people who respond more to data, logic, facts and assessments will be motivated by MFP. Others might find all the stats a little daunting...

That said, I think it's a great tool to really identify areas that may be problematic in one's diet and stay on top of activity. I find the food log really helpful in terms of identifying how much sugar/sodium I'm using. Tools like this could be really helpful for someone trying to keep track of those items in particular.
  • alwaysgreen17
    alwaysgreen17 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have a chemistry background. I like MFP because I like numbers and charts. I am obsessed with looking at the graphs under the reports tab, haha.
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I'm a visual learner, a planner, I love sticky notes and a good checklist can get me off! lol I like the huge database of food, I like the reports you can generate, I like that its tied to my fitbit, I like that it has a mobile app, I like the forums for when I need information, motivation, or just want to yuck it up. The food journaling has become ingrained into my life. I love MFP to keep me on track and dropping pounds.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Fat kids, Skinny Kids, Kids who climb on rocks.

Tough kids, sissy kids...

even kids with chicken-pox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fQwJdXFQlU
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I LOVE working out, and I love having supportive people to converse with, as well as a convenient way to keep track of what I eat. This site rocks!

• Bridget28152723
    Bridget28152723 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The other day somebody defined MFP as standing for "Muscles, Fatties, and Pervs." True enough to be hilarious. All kidding aside, it's a great place to get the structure ( keeping track of calories and exercise) to make the job much easier.

wow that is funny! i guess im a muscle/fatty..jk......i was really into the numbers thing and lost 10 in the first month too. Its been 2 yrs. now and i dont log food as i know whats what but now i have the best FL on mfp and consider them my friends! im more into losing inches and building muscle now. Its for all different kinds of people i think.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Architect and 3D artist. technical and artistic blend. I like the friendships I developed here,
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    "Oh, MFP, you're so pretty" :love: :laugh:

I am the creative, visual, English teacher type. I write poetry, draw, sing. I love to scrapbook and create visuals on the computer. And I steer clear from math, science, forms, data, and pretty much anything else that would make me sound "smart." MFP works for me because I work well with clear rules and expectations. I'm a rule follower ("oh no, I only have 15 calories left? guess I can't have that chocolate cake." Plus I love the social aspect of MFP. I love having friendly faces who are in this with me.

I think we have all types here. Whether someone sticks around or not just depends on motivation and circumstances.
  • wendyrap2
    wendyrap2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm very organized and a big control freak and I love all forms of technology, I'm also very visual, the fact that I can log everything on my phone really appeals to me. Everyone has asked my secret so I tell them and so far no one gets it, they say it's too much work or they logged before and it didn't help. Seriously I have a full time job and two kids who are very active and in sports and a husband who works 2 jobs so I do it all on my own a lot, if I have time most people should be able to do this too. Honestly I think they're not motivated and that's their business/loss I guess, I just wish I knew about this about 50 pounds ago!

casi me vi en un espejo!!!! definitivamente creo que todos los que somos atraidos a este sitio es por el control y la disciplina que tenemos. no es facil que todos se enganchen pero el que lo hace seguramente obtendra buenos resultados!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!