Scale Differences

Options
Earlier this week my doctor's scale (you know the weights and balances scales from old) had me at 7 lbs less than my weight watcher's scale and my regular old scale. Which would I believe? Today at home my WW scale was 2.6 lbs more than my other scale. What to do???

Replies

• thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I always go with my own personal scale, since that's the one I use most often.

Meanwhile you might think about testing your home scale to see how accurate it is. Sometimes they get less accurate with age or low batteries.
  • cookiemcguire
    cookiemcguire Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I should probably change the WW battery and see if it then jives with the analog scale.
  • caryll4
    caryll4 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself first with a 3 lb weight, then I weigh myself and it gives me a true reading, if you don,t have a 2 lb difference from last weight taken it registers last reading I learned by throwing a pair of scales away ,then went to web of digital scales . That works for me
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,248 Member
    Options
    The scale you use most often.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    ...What to do???

Stop weighing on multiple different scales. Pick one scale and use only that one, in the same location and under similar/consistent conditions as much as possible (e.g., in the morning right after getting out of bed, naked, after going pee).

Different scales will give different readings, and your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. If you weigh at home on your scale in the morning, then weigh at the doctor's office in different clothing after you've eaten, drank, exercised, etc., your weight will have changed.

As the old saying goes, "Man with one watch knows what time it is; man with two watches is never sure".
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have a digital and non digital. My digital has me always at about 5lbs heavier than the normal one I use the normal one all the time.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,912 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...What to do???

Stop weighing on multiple different scales. Pick one scale and use only that one, in the same location and under similar/consistent conditions as much as possible (e.g., in the morning right after getting out of bed, naked, after going pee).

Different scales will give different readings, and your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. If you weigh at home on your scale in the morning, then weigh at the doctor's office in different clothing after you've eaten, drank, exercised, etc., your weight will have changed.

As the old saying goes, "Man with one watch knows what time it is; man with two watches is never sure".

Totally that ^^^^.

You don't have a "true weight", only a multi-day/week weight trend. If the trend's going in the right direction over time, you're golden.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...What to do???

Totally that ^^^^.

You don't have a "true weight", only a multi-day/week weight trend. If the trend's going in the right direction over time, you're golden.

Exactly. Really, there's no such thing as a "true weight" other than in the sense that it's a snapshot of your weight at that particular moment in time. If you step off the scale and go take a pee, you'll weigh less; if you go to the kitchen and drink a pint of water, you'll weigh more. If you weigh before and after dinner, the difference could be as much as a few pounds; same thing if you weigh before bed and when you get up in the morning. As @AnnPT77 said, the trend is what matters.