starvation mode

Options
124»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    @stu7397 have a google around fasting diets and intermittent fasting. They're proven to prevent things like alzheimer's and dementia and reduce reduce insulin resistance, lowering the risk of type 2 diabetes. Also shown to be beneficial for heart health and stress levels so considering my grandmother had dementia I'm more than willing to do anything to reduce my risk of getting it.

Google it. Might be surprised

No, and also not relevant to OP's problem.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    After only a quick look at the picture, and even if you don't consider the relatively big measuring error, I could see sugar logged at 22 calories (packets usually contain 2-4 grams of sugar, not a tablespoon). 2 tablespoons of sugar contain nearly 100 calories, more if not level (when people scoop sugar they usually don't scrape away the excess). That's just one item, without even looking at the rest. It's quite possible you are getting 100-200 extra calories over what you're logging from sugar alone, without even considering the rest of the diet.

sugar-calories-in-a-teaspoon.jpg

MFP is great, but the database entries can be very inaccurate. I suggest using only USDA entries and weighing your food whenever possible, including packaged food.

Good illustration, and this was exactly what I was thinking -- that coffee could be far higher in calories than logged, and that would relate to the prior situation of just coffee + dinner being more than assumed also.

OP, what about the avocado? TBSPs are also a bad way to measure avocado, which is really calorie dense. I love it and eat it often, but would weigh it. (And if you were really concerned about too few calories, why not eat more avocado -- like half of one -- with the sandwich? There are other places it would be easy to bump calories too, but I agree that probably you are eating more and that's why no loss.)
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    This is what MFP says I eat in one day. I tried to add the photo but it would only let me add it as an attachment. This is a screenshot of my food.

Check to see the brown rice calories on the box/packaging is it for prepared or precooked. How are you weighing it? Also are you actually putting 2 tablespoons of salad dressing or just pouring what you think is 2 ?

The coffee creamer, are you pouring or is it in a packaging? are you measuring out 4 tbsp?

Just a few mistakes on those three things could easily be a 500+ calorie difference
    This is what MFP says I eat in one day. I tried to add the photo but it would only let me add it as an attachment. This is a screenshot of my food.

Check to see the brown rice calories on the box/packaging is it for prepared or precooked. How are you weighing it? Also are you actually putting 2 tablespoons of salad dressing or just pouring what you think is 2 ?

The coffee creamer, are you pouring or is it in a packaging? are you measuring out 4 tbsp?

Just a few mistakes on those three things could easily be a 500+ calorie difference

I will take a look at the brown rice. It is uncle bens, not the instant kind it takes like 20 minutes to make it in the rice cooker. I am also measuring out all of my liquids, oj, dressing and such as well as using measuring spoons for the cream and sugar. I am trusting my packaging for my fruit that there is one serving in it however, I now see how that could be the wrong thing to do. I am sure with the increase in calories it is going to take a bit of time for my body to get used to it. I am a bit confused that if starvation mode is a myth, have I just slowed my metabolism down really slow and is 1100 calories enough to get it back to normal?

You haven't "slowed your metabolism". ;)
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Since no one has asked, and these are relevant:
    How tall are you?
    Starting weight? Current weight? Goal weight?
    How long did you only eat 500 calories a day?
    Why were you only eating 500 calories a day?