Starting Strength on calorie deficit?

Options
13»

Replies

• cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Okiludy wrote: »
    I have lost 41lbs since I started. I began doing Starting Strength about 2 months in. I have run either SS or a more powerlifting program based on SS for about 3 months. I have seen pretty amazing gains on my deadlift (65-380 for reps) and squat (45-315 for reps). My bench is lagging but still with decent gains (45-175 for reps).

I have eaten in a deficit the entire time. I was morbidly obese to start with and now am getting close to overweight. I am eating 40% of my calories in protein and at a loss rate of 2lbs a week. I can still maintain this as still in obese range. Once I hit overweight range going to cut deficit to 1lbs loss a week. When I don't eat enough protein recovery is harder and longer and that is a concern of mine. 40% seems to be around sweet spot for me. I don't know if this follows any study just what works for me.

Oh and I am 45 and haven't been in close to normal weight range in 15 years.

I'm not following, you're saying you increased your deadlift by 315lbs in only 3 months? It sounds like you could have started a lot higher on your initial lifts when you started. You would have to do 20-25lb jumps consistently all the way up to 380lbs, that doesn't seem sustainable. I've had a run with people lately on internet forums spreading a lot of BS. I'm not saying you're one of them, but can you explain how you did this? This is not typical from what I've read/seen/heard from others doing the program.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »
    I have lost 41lbs since I started. I began doing Starting Strength about 2 months in. I have run either SS or a more powerlifting program based on SS for about 3 months. I have seen pretty amazing gains on my deadlift (65-380 for reps) and squat (45-315 for reps). My bench is lagging but still with decent gains (45-175 for reps).

I have eaten in a deficit the entire time. I was morbidly obese to start with and now am getting close to overweight. I am eating 40% of my calories in protein and at a loss rate of 2lbs a week. I can still maintain this as still in obese range. Once I hit overweight range going to cut deficit to 1lbs loss a week. When I don't eat enough protein recovery is harder and longer and that is a concern of mine. 40% seems to be around sweet spot for me. I don't know if this follows any study just what works for me.

I'm not following, you're saying you increased your deadlift by 315lbs in only 3 months? It sounds like you could have started a lot higher on your initial lifts when you started. You would have to do 20-25lb jumps consistently all the way up to 380lbs, that doesn't seem sustainable. I've had a run with people lately on internet forums spreading a lot of BS. I'm not saying you're one of them, but can you explain how you did this? This is not typical from what I've read/seen/heard from others doing the program.

I could have but if you read the program you start light to learn lifts. I could have started maybe the 225-250 range. I had never done a dead before and 2 days ago pulled 405 twice.

Being a fat i actually think helped in squats and deadlifts. Don't discount my body weight until April was 275+. Standing up from a chair was like a 100+ pound squat for normal weight person.

Edit: I forgot, I am not doing large jumps anymore. I am doing micro plate jumps and also am not on Starting Strength now. I am doing a weekly linear powerlifting progression.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cdahl383 wrote: »

I could have but if you read the program you start light to learn lifts. I could have started maybe the 225-250 range. I had never done a dead before and 2 days ago pulled 405 twice.

Being a fat i actually think helped in squats and deadlifts. Don't discount my body weight until April was 275+. Standing up from a chair was like a 100+ pound squat for normal weight person.

Edit: I forgot, I am not doing large jumps anymore. I am doing micro plate jumps and also am not on Starting Strength now. I am doing a weekly linear powerlifting progression.

This is actually why I like Greyskull LP with the microplates- although I don't have a specific powerlifting focus, the program can be tailored for powerlifting. I love its flexibility and small progression, plus have the last set as AMRAP allows me to hit rep PRs, even if I can't go heavier, which it harder for me to do at a deficit and being generally pretty weak as a beginner.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you're going to do Starting Strength, I'd suggest you get to one of their coaches to get form checks and help. And you're damned lucky, Dr. Sullivan is in your neighborhood.