Barbell Strength Class or HIIT

Options
I am looking at taking a class at my local lifetime fitness. I think that the barbell strength or HIIT class seems like a really good overall body workout.

But, what is the difference? They seem kind of similar except one uses barbells, and the other one... well, I'm not sure what type of weights they use if any at all.

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?
  • trorion
    trorion Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Both are almost certainly HIIT programs designed to create a sustained boost in your metabolism. I would honestly say go to whichever one is more fun for you. I'm assuming you can switch at any time.
  • PPumpItUp
    PPumpItUp Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    HIIT is high intensity interval training. It can be done swimming, sprinting, rowing, etc. but typically with not weights. Both are beneficial. Have you done any strength training before?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    HIIT is typically cardio...lifting is lifting.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and what you will enjoy the most. Tryout both for a couple weeks and see which one you enjoy the most. If this is a real HIIT class, these are taxing and can be very difficult. Depending on your fitness level, you might not want to try this one first. True HIIT is usually recommended to be done 1-2 times per week due to the level of difficulty (and depending on your goals/fitness level). Good luck.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

But is it an actual lifting class or a cardio class with a bar? I've seen those.
  • itsfuntobedevilinabluedress
    Options
    Try them both and pick the one you like more.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

But is it an actual lifting class or a cardio class with a bar? I've seen those.

Ah, could be...one of the gyms I used to belong to offered an introductory to barbell lifting class and it was basically to get form down on squats, bench, OHP, dead lift, etc...so that's what immediately popped into my mind.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals and what you enjoy. Why not try both? Or alternate.

They are completely different though, that's if it's actually HIIT at all.
    Very high probability that the HIIT class isn't - probably just circuit training wearing a fashion label.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options

I think it is more of a cardio class with a barbell and some weights on the end.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    My main goal right now is to lose some belly fat. My current routine takes a lot of time out of my day. I went in for a regular check up with my doctor, and she said that I should try a class because it would be less boring (that spending time on the stair-master) and I would probably get a better workout.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Without knowing what the barbell class is we cannot give a recommendation. Well at least about the classes. I do recommend that whatever you do, strength training of some sort should be a part of it.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    What are you doing now that takes so long? Personally, I would try both classes and see which appealed to me more and seemed more effective. You might find you like both and can alternate.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If it's Les Mills BodyPump, it's awesome and fun, so try it. If not, it's likely just an unbranded version of Pump. Yes. It's faster and the barbell is lighter. But you can pile on as much weight as you want and it still covers all of the same moves as well as covering legs, back, chest, biceps, triceps, and shoulders. Typically with a lot of push ups and crunches thrown in as a cool down. It's a an hour full of hitting target areas and plenty of dudes take it, too. The only people who don't get anything out of it are people who don't try increasing weight.

If it's a Pump type class...you'll be sore. And it makes it easier to supplement in the weight room without stressing too much because you know you already got a full body strength session.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    HIIT is high intensity interval training. It can be done swimming, sprinting, rowing, etc. but typically with not weights. Both are beneficial. Have you done any strength training before?

Would you consider Metabolic Weight Training to be HIIT?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Depends on the format.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If it's Les Mills BodyPump, it's awesome and fun, so try it. If not, it's likely just an unbranded version of Pump. Yes. It's faster and the barbell is lighter. But you can pile on as much weight as you want and it still covers all of the same moves as well as covering legs, back, chest, biceps, triceps, and shoulders. Typically with a lot of push ups and crunches thrown in as a cool down. It's a an hour full of hitting target areas and plenty of dudes take it, too. The only people who don't get anything out of it are people who don't try increasing weight.

If it's a Pump type class...you'll be sore. And it makes it easier to supplement in the weight room without stressing too much because you know you already got a full body strength session.

I went last night and you are absolutely right. It was fun compared to spending 30 or 45 min on the stair-master. I was surprised that they could hit every area of the body in an hour, but they did. Not much rest between sets either. I will probably try the HIIT program too, but I really enjoyed and got a good workout from the one I went to last night.

Great! I love it and take it 4 days per week. I also take Body Combat for Cardio to avoid toiling away on ellipticals. The pump class still makes me sore every time and I've been taking it for months. I'm glad you enjoyed it!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    mmapags wrote: »

Depends on the format.

Makes sense. I've done 5 exercises, 6 reps each. All in a sequence. 1.5 minutes between sets and 5 sets. It was pretty intense. Trying to remember what they all were. Squats into rows, into deads, into hanging cleans, into overhead press. About 20lbs on the 45 lb bar. Great workout! Not going to build muscle mass but it works the muscle groups kinda similar to body weight workouts. Could be an option for the OP.