Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    PPumpItUp wrote: »
    HIIT is high intensity interval training. It can be done swimming, sprinting, rowing, etc. but typically with not weights. Both are beneficial. Have you done any strength training before?

Would you consider Metabolic Weight Training to be HIIT?

Depends on the format.

Makes sense. I've done 5 exercises, 6 reps each. All in a sequence. 1.5 minutes between sets and 5 sets. It was pretty intense. Trying to remember what they all were. Squats into rows, into deads, into hanging cleans, into overhead press. About 20lbs on the 45 lb bar. Great workout! Not going to build muscle mass but it works the muscle groups kinda similar to body weight workouts. Could be an option for the OP.

Barbell complexes like you mentioned are a tried and true way to build strength, conditioning and increase work capacity. Certainly don't want to do them for every workout, but they are a good tool .
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    HIIT is high intensity interval training. It can be done swimming, sprinting, rowing, etc. but typically with not weights. Both are beneficial. Have you done any strength training before?

Depends on the format.

Makes sense. I've done 5 exercises, 6 reps each. All in a sequence. 1.5 minutes between sets and 5 sets. It was pretty intense. Trying to remember what they all were. Squats into rows, into deads, into hanging cleans, into overhead press. About 20lbs on the 45 lb bar. Great workout! Not going to build muscle mass but it works the muscle groups kinda similar to body weight workouts. Could be an option for the OP.

This is definitely not HIIT. It sounds more like circuit training. These are great workouts too, but you don't get the same after benefits as HIIT.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Depends on the format.

This is definitely not HIIT. It sounds more like circuit training. These are great workouts too, but you don't get the same after benefits as HIIT.

Help me understand the difference because, honestly, I'm not at all clear what defines whether a workout is HIIT or not.
  • mmapags
    Options

Depends on the format.

Barbell complexes like you mentioned are a tried and true way to build strength, conditioning and increase work capacity. Certainly don't want to do them for every workout, but they are a good tool .

Agree, not every workout. I was doing this routine 1 day per week for a little variety. I tend to do this in the winter when my workouts are indoors. I do sprints and burpees when I can get outside.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    "Barbell strength" is somewhat ambiguous, but sounds nothing like HIIT.
  • mmapags
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »

People keep saying what HIIT isn't but nobody says why and what it is. Have you ever done Metabolic Weight Training?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

People keep saying what HIIT isn't but nobody says why and what it is. Have you ever done Metabolic Weight Training?

I'm not trying to define what HIIT is or isn't, just simply saying that HIIT and "barbell strength" do not sound like comparable activities.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options

What exactly is Metabolic Weight Training? I've just been so old-school my whole life: run, push-ups, sit-ups, lift weights. But, man, all that gets so old after a while. That's when I started the stair-master to liven things up. It was a good addition to my workout but so very boring.
  • Kintsugi_Haikyo
    Kintsugi_Haikyo Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and what you will enjoy the most. Tryout both for a couple weeks and see which one you enjoy the most. If this is a real HIIT class, these are taxing and can be very difficult. Depending on your fitness level, you might not want to try this one first. True HIIT is usually recommended to be done 1-2 times per week due to the level of difficulty (and depending on your goals/fitness level). Good luck.

I am going to try out the HIIT class, but later this week. I'm still sore from Monday's Barbell Strength class. Of all places, I'm sore in my thighs. I wasn't really prepared for back and front squats I guess.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    HIIT: High Intensity Interval Training

Short burst of high activity followed by a slightly longer period of lower activity.
    Rest, rinse and repeat.

Example? Sprint up the hill, walk back down, catch your breath and do it again.
    It doesn't need a special class or equipment.

HIIT is a more efficient form of "cardio" in most cases.

If you want to lose weight quickly then HIIT will help you do it because of the large calorie output.
    But if you want to keep the weight off then you probably need strength training to raise (or at least maintain) your BMR.

Alternate both.
  • mmapags
    Options

What exactly is Metabolic Weight Training? I've just been so old-school my whole life: run, push-ups, sit-ups, lift weights. But, man, all that gets so old after a while. That's when I started the stair-master to liven things up. It was a good addition to my workout but so very boring.
    http://www.mensfitness.com/training/workout-routines/5-best-barbell-complex-workouts-burn-fat-and-build-muscle

Some examples. Also, a great thread that continues the discussion on what HIIT is and isn't here
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10568908/your-definition-of-hiit#latest
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Depends on the format.

Help me understand the difference because, honestly, I'm not at all clear what defines whether a workout is HIIT or not.

HIIT is High Intensity Interval Training...basically it is repeating an exercise with full intensity for a given period, then taking a rest for a given period, then repeating that Interval. For example, I do HIIT on the elliptical. I go with 100% intensity for 15 seconds, rest for 15 seconds, then repeat. I do this for 10-20 minutes. That is one example of HIIT. As stated above you can do it with other exercises, but it has to be full exertion and repeating intervals.