Dairy???

Options

Replies

• jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Anyone else find it... ironic? ... that the person saying how bad dairy is...

wait for it...

...consumes dairy every day?

can't give up that Ben and Jerry's and sour cream on a baked potato is like peas and carrots. lol
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

wait for it...

Oh my God, this website. I would try to tell people the things we see here, but nobody would believe me.

IDK - they might. I mean, some of this falls into "you can't make this stuff up" territory.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    kissa714 wrote: »
    It makes zero sense to consume another animals milk, and animal milk based products. The reason that so many people are "lactose intolerant" is because we're not supposed to be eating that stuff. The only beneficial part of dairy is the high protein content and you can get that from meat, nuts, beans, seeds and even leafy greens.

Are we not supposed to eat nuts? Cuz I know a whole lot more people with nut allergies than I do with lactose intolerance.

People who are lactose intolerant are the exception...not the other way around

According to the NIH,
    Approximately 65 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy.
    https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/lactose-intolerance#statistics

Not that I think that's any reason for those with the genetic good fortune to continue producing lactase as adults not to eat it.

Probably need to hightlight this from the NIH article posted.

Approximately 65 percent of the human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. Lactose intolerance in adulthood is most prevalent in people of East Asian descent, affecting more than 90 percent of adults in some of these communities. Lactose intolerance is also very common in people of West African, Arab, Jewish, Greek, and Italian descent.

The prevalence of lactose intolerance is lowest in populations with a long history of dependence on unfermented milk products as an important food source. For example, only about 5 percent of people of Northern European descent are lactose intolerant

The 65% that are lactose intolerant covers a relatively small portion of the MFP users. From this site:
    https://www.foodbeast.com/news/map-of-milk-consumption-lactose-intolerance-around-the-world/

It turns out that over 90% of China's population is allergic to lactose, which might explain it's low consumption. ... Back over in the US, lactose intolerance varies by race with about 74% of African Americans, 87% of Indians and 14% of Caucasians with some kind of lactose allergy.

So in the US and Western Europe we're probably talking around 20-30% of the adult population being lactose intolerant.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It makes zero sense to consume another animals milk, and animal milk based products.

Makes sense to me (and my ancestors who passed on the genes that make it easy to digest for me, just like AnnPT says above).
    The reason that so many people are "lactose intolerant" is because we're not supposed to be eating that stuff.

No, it's because (for the most part) at least some of their ancestors come from areas of the world where there was no need or custom to consume it regularly, so fewer people developed the ability to do so. IMO, that's unfortunate for them, but says nothing about what people in general are "supposed to" be doing.

It seems that a good number of people find it biologically easy to consume whatever food is available even to the point of becoming overweight or obese. Does that mean we are "supposed to" do that and it makes no sense to use our minds to figure out how to stay slim? Of course not!
    The only beneficial part of dairy is the high protein content and you can get that from meat, nuts, beans, seeds and even leafy greens.

Also, it tastes good.

Eating dairy (and red meat) has been linked to heart disease, diabetes and some types of cancer. Humans are, to my knowlage, the only animals who consistently give themselves diseases because of what they eat.
    If your ancestors were meant to eat dairy, they wouldnt have needed to develop the ability to eat it in the first place. They were eating nothing but fruits, vegetables and small amounts of meat WAY before they started domesticating animals.

people were eating meat and probably drinking animal milk since the beginning of time. in some parts of the world they even drink camel milk, some drink goats,others drink horse milk(although its harder to milk a horse compared to a cow). you dont give yourself diseases by eating certain things, some things are genetic and are flaws in your DNA. some animals probably have been domesticated since the beginning of time. I mean someone had to get the idea to get milk from a mammal and try it for themselves. it had to come from somewhere. and as for those who are lactose intolerance again they lack an enzyme in their body to digest it. it has nothing to do with what you eat that causes it.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    musicfan68 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

wait for it...

Yeah, I noticed that...Lol...

Makes @kissa714 look pretty hypocritical, really. If you are going to say that something is so bad for you, then you probably shouldn't be eating it, otherwise your argument is pointless. (Hers is pointless anyway, but...)

Come on, Ben and Jerry's doesn't have any dairy in it. SMH.

FYI for @kissa714 following are the ingredients in B&J Fudge Brownie Ice Cream as an example
    http://www.benjerry.com/flavors/chocolate-fudge-brownie-ice-cream

CREAM, LIQUID SUGAR (SUGAR, WATER), SKIM MILK, WATER, SUGAR, COCOA (PROCESSED WITH ALKALI), WHEAT FLOUR, COCOA POWDER, SOYBEAN OIL, EGG YOLKS, INVERT CANE SUGAR, EGGS, EGG WHITES, GUAR GUM, SALT, CARRAGEENAN, VANILLA EXTRACT, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, SODIUM BICARBONATE.

Not sure where @kissa714 is from, but in the US ingredients in a food product are listed in the order of highest content to least.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It makes zero sense to consume another animals milk, and animal milk based products.

Makes sense to me (and my ancestors who passed on the genes that make it easy to digest for me, just like AnnPT says above).
    The reason that so many people are "lactose intolerant" is because we're not supposed to be eating that stuff.

No, it's because (for the most part) at least some of their ancestors come from areas of the world where there was no need or custom to consume it regularly, so fewer people developed the ability to do so. IMO, that's unfortunate for them, but says nothing about what people in general are "supposed to" be doing.

It seems that a good number of people find it biologically easy to consume whatever food is available even to the point of becoming overweight or obese. Does that mean we are "supposed to" do that and it makes no sense to use our minds to figure out how to stay slim? Of course not!
    The only beneficial part of dairy is the high protein content and you can get that from meat, nuts, beans, seeds and even leafy greens.

Also, it tastes good.

Eating dairy (and red meat) has been linked to heart disease, diabetes and some types of cancer.

What studies do you think convincingly suggest that eating moderate amounts of dairy cause cancer? I'm only aware of correlation studies even for meat, and the evidence on dairy on the whole is not negative in those same studies. Surely you aren't talking about the Campbell stuff?
    If your ancestors were meant to eat dairy, they wouldnt have needed to develop the ability to eat it in the first place. They were eating nothing but fruits, vegetables and small amounts of meat WAY before they started domesticating animals.

How does one define what one is MEANT to eat? As we were talking about in another thread, that seems to presume a designer with intent, so let's get that out on the table, okay?

Why is what humans ate, I dunno, 100,000 years ago, relevant and not what we ate 5000 years ago or, say, what we can eat and get good nutrients from now? Also, depending on where humans were and who we are talking about and the time of year, "small amounts of meat" may well be incorrect.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    I also like and consume cheese. Full fat and I don't blot the oil.

What oil? Is blotting cheese a thing? Ick.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It makes zero sense to consume another animals milk, and animal milk based products. The reason that so many people are "lactose intolerant" is because we're not supposed to be eating that stuff. The only beneficial part of dairy is the high protein content and you can get that from meat, nuts, beans, seeds and even leafy greens.

Sorry have to call you out on that. Supposed is not objective term. As mentioned earlier in the thread. Northern Europeans specifically (others too) have the genes to digest lactose in a great way. They produce an enzyme called lactase that does the trick. Lactose intolerant people will produce either less of it (and can digest fermetend dairy foods) or not and cannot eat diary.
    If you state not supposed to you basically say that the body is wrong for producing an enzyme that allows us to eat something that is a great food source and has helped many a population to survive.
    Plus we are not just talking cows dairy Around the world also milk and milk products are produced from goat, sheet, buffalo, yak, camel and horse milk (lama I think as well but not sure)

As a comment on your list of protein
    If you then say but but some people can't because they are intolerant then my answer would be - you are not suppoed to heat grains then either because there are celiacs that are in fact gluten intolerant. Same for nuts because there are people with allergies. So not suppoed to is complete and utter nonsense! Specifically as you so totally recommend foods that are also limited for some people

For just about every foodstuff there will be people that have either problems digesting and or intolerances

OP: if you feel you want to eat and can handle is try it. Like any food there is a part can you and a part do you like it. Specifically with cheeses and yogurt there is so much to choose from that it is a feast to try if that is what you like.
    I could not live without diary. My preferences are cheese and yoghurt. I have to limit cheese intake mainly because the cheeses I love best (blue soft) are also high calorie. But it is one of my go to treats

Yes, people have adapted to digesting dairy, but they haven't adapted to eating it without other consequences to their health. Health goes beyond just being able go digest something. There aren't any long term positive effects on health from dairy, but there are many negative ones. To answer the thing about nut allergies and grains: maybe humans shouldn't eat those as well. Plenty of people already think gluten free is the way to go as it is. I think those should be left up to the individual though, as I haven't seen much research on how nuts negatively affect ones overall, longterm health the way that dairy does.

Plenty of people thought the Earth was flat (some still do). Doesn't mean that it was ever true. Plenty of people also think that causation = correlation, and it most assuredly does not.

Unless you have Celiac's (rare) what would you NOT eat gluten?! It's been a part of the human diet since agriculture. We evolved to process it for reliable stores of energy in order to survive, same as dairy.

Also - re:
    I haven't seen much research on how nuts negatively affect ones overall, longterm health . .

. . . . If you have an allergy and consume nuts, you could die. That's a pretty negative effect.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

wait for it...

Perhaps it's akin to a smoker who recognizes that smoking is unhealthy, is unable to quit herself, but is warning others away.

That's all I got.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It does make sense to eat small amounts of meat, as we can see in many other species of animals in the world. While humans are the only ones who consume another animals milk. I'm not sure why people get so confused about that.

This is factually incorrect. If given a chance mammals will drink milk from another mammal. Not often a chance but it is observed in wild and domesticated animals.

Yep, predators will drink the milk in a lactating female if they take one down, or the milk in the belly of a baby animal. We've all seen the cute photos of cats begging for a squirt or two from the udder when a cow is being milked. Orphaned baby animals will happily nurse on another species mamma if she's willing.

Other animals don't drink milk to the extent we do because they haven't figured out how to keep other animals alive and milk them regularly like we do. Except for the ants mentioned upthread.

And as others have said, if it's only "natural" for us to do what other animals do in the wild, we are wholly and completely screwed. Unless I missed all the wild animals harnessing electricity, using toothpaste, cooking their food, developing language, building factories, writing books, wearing glasses...

that only happened in Atlantis...
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

Also, it tastes good.

Eating dairy (and red meat) has been linked to heart disease, diabetes and some types of cancer. Humans are, to my knowlage, the only animals who consistently give themselves diseases because of what they eat.

You might want to put your phone or lap top down, stop cooking your food, stop ironing your hair etc. After all we had no ability to do so before we ate dairy.
  • AliciaRenee1
    AliciaRenee1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As one of the "special few" with lactose intolerance even I struggle to give up my dairy (developed my intolerance as an adult as part of a mast cell disorder I have that has caused several anaphylactic allergies as well).

I have fat free natural yoghurt with gluten free museli and raw honey for breakfast most days (I also take lactase so I can process it - unless I want a good cleanout :D ) adds up to 252cal and I use a splash of lactose free milk in coffee/tea(or soy if I am out). I also love low fat ricotta on gluten free quinoa (rice like) cakes.

Even those of us with an intolerance can find a work around for it. I say have your dairy but go for the fat free/low fat options.

Also I tried Almond Milk for a bit and it was HORRIBLE! Destroyed many a good cup of tea/coffee with it.

No point "arguing" with kimny and kissa as you can't educate someone who has their own views so warped that they will stand on the pulpit and preach but not practice what they preach.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    As one of the "special few" with lactose intolerance even I struggle to give up my dairy (developed my intolerance as an adult as part of a mast cell disorder I have that has caused several anaphylactic allergies as well).

I have fat free natural yoghurt with gluten free museli and raw honey for breakfast most days (I also take lactase so I can process it - unless I want a good cleanout :D ) adds up to 252cal and I use a splash of lactose free milk in coffee/tea(or soy if I am out). I also love low fat ricotta on gluten free quinoa (rice like) cakes.

Even those of us with an intolerance can find a work around for it. I say have your dairy but go for the fat free/low fat options.

Also I tried Almond Milk for a bit and it was HORRIBLE! Destroyed many a good cup of tea/coffee with it.

No point "arguing" with kimny and kissa as you can't educate someone who has their own views so warped that they will stand on the pulpit and preach but not practice what they preach.

@kimny72 isn't arguing that dairy is bad.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Eating dairy ... has been linked to heart disease, diabetes and some types of cancer. Humans are, to my knowlage, the only animals who consistently give themselves diseases because of what they eat.
    There's no good evidence that reasonable amounts of dairy products are a risk factor for any of those things. Here's a recent review of the literature.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4703621/

In fact, consumption of low-fat dairy seems to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3785489/