How should I portion my calories throughout the day?

Options
I'm a 23 year old female at 5'7, 160lbs, eating ~1380 calories a day. Is there an ideal calorie breakdown by meal/time of day? Like how much should I eat per meal, what time, and how often? I know breakfast is the most important, but other than that I'm not sure the best order to eat my calories

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    nope, totally doesn't matter. it is all personal preference. weight loss has nothing to do with the time of day you eat - it is all about the calorie deficit.
  • limeysss
    limeysss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    nope, totally doesn't matter. it is all personal preference. weight loss has nothing to do with the time of day you eat - it is all about the calorie deficit.

Currently because of my work schedule, I skip breakfast (I feel sick every morning until about 11 my entire life) eat a small lunch around ~200 calories between 11 and 1, and consume the rest of my calories after 4 and with dinner. Is this ok?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Whichever way makes it sustainable and easy for you.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    however way you wish
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Try not to eat after about 7:30 :)
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    Panda8ach wrote: »

why
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options

why

some people might have digestive issues when they eat too close to bedtime, but that would be the only reason not to eat after a certain time of the day.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    True. OP if you have digestive issues preventing you from sleep/being uncomfortable at night because of late eating then definitely eat earlier but if you're asking for any perceived benefit to weight loss; there is absolutely none.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

whoops I broke that rule last night...approx. 1300 cal at 9pm and down 1lb this morning...
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Actually I somewhat disagree. Yes it's all about the calorie deficit but how and what you eat can help or hurt you.
    For instance - don't skip breakfast! Make sure you get protein and fats and not just carbs. Eating in the morning will accelerate your metabolism (ie help you burn more calories) AND reduce cravings and give you more energy.

There are studies that say eating smaller meals throughout the day also help keep your metabolism high and at the same time keep your cravings down. Also eating within 30 minutes of working out has shown to help you repair / rebuild your body after a tough workout.

But my best learning has been to eat breakfast even when I'm not hungry. It helps me stay to the plan for the entire day.

Best of luck!
  • Jeffagner2
    Jeffagner2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I changed the name of my meals to time periods (6-10am, 10-12, 2-6 and 6-10). I have a specific amount of calories assigned to each 4 hour window. It's better for me to have 4 goal periods each day and try to meet my calorie goal for that time period. It took some trial and error to figure out what time periods and calories totals and what ratios of carbs protein and fats were right for me. It might work for you.
  • limeysss
    limeysss Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    True. OP if you have digestive issues preventing you from sleep/being uncomfortable at night because of late eating then definitely eat earlier but if you're asking for any perceived benefit to weight loss; there is absolutely none.
    Nope! I was wondering if my metabolism would be less efficient by not eating all day, and then suddenly eating most of my calories. Idk how "starvation mode" works, but I've heard of it and wanted to make sure my body wasn't slowing down fat burning to conserve energy or something. It's something friends of mine mentioned but didn't have any solid advice or explanation to give me about it.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Arleigh7 wrote: »
    Actually I somewhat disagree. Yes it's all about the calorie deficit but how and what you eat can help or hurt you.
    For instance - don't skip breakfast! Make sure you get protein and fats and not just carbs. Eating in the morning will accelerate your metabolism (ie help you burn more calories) AND reduce cravings and give you more energy.

There are studies that say eating smaller meals throughout the day also help keep your metabolism high and at the same time keep your cravings down. Also eating within 30 minutes of working out has shown to help you repair / rebuild your body after a tough workout.

But my best learning has been to eat breakfast even when I'm not hungry. It helps me stay to the plan for the entire day.

Best of luck!

You have no idea what you're talking about, literally everything you've posted here is wrong.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    limeysss wrote: »
    Nope! I was wondering if my metabolism would be less efficient by not eating all day, and then suddenly eating most of my calories. Idk how "starvation mode" works, but I've heard of it and wanted to make sure my body wasn't slowing down fat burning to conserve energy or something. It's something friends of mine mentioned but didn't have any solid advice or explanation to give me about it.

That's because it's hooey. ;)
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    limeysss wrote: »

Currently because of my work schedule, I skip breakfast (I feel sick every morning until about 11 my entire life) eat a small lunch around ~200 calories between 11 and 1, and consume the rest of my calories after 4 and with dinner. Is this ok?

Yes, this is okay.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Arleigh7 wrote: »

Best of luck!

Another nope. None of this is true. There whole protocol of Intermittent Fasting is in direct contradiction to this.