What are you doing with your "FAT" clothes?

Options
Just wondering what you are doing with all your "fat" clothes? One of the best part of a healthier lifestyle is getting to buy newer smaller clothes, fitting into things that we wouldn't have thought about twice of buying X numbers of lbs ago.

Me personally once Ive completely out shrunk a piece of clothing I either give it away to charity or bin if not suitable to give away. I don't want to keep any of it apart from 1 item to remind me that this is how you use to be dont come back here.

So what are you thoughts?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It gets dropped off at a charity that does bi-monthly trips to Haiti and Honduras. If it's my really nice stuff, I donate it to a place that gives people clothes to wear to job interviews, etc.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I am saving them for when I find all the weight I lost. jk.

I have been giving them to a co-worker who can use them. I tried to get him to start in Jan 2013 when I did he said no. I remind him he could be much lighter by now every chance I get.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I'm still wearing mine... but they're fitting a lot nicer now! :)

I plan on doing whatever it takes to get rid of my "fat" clothes. (donate, yard sale, burn... whatever) ;)
  • llmcconnell
    llmcconnell Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My jeans I will give away, but most of my shirts will probably still fit or I will take them to a tailor to get taken in a bit. More and new clothes would be nice but I just want stuff that fits and I love some of my current clothes too much to give them away.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I took most to The Goodwill and checked to see if my mom wanted any of the ones she could fit into. But this is a great idea... Clothes are NOT cheep and I got with someone on there that had some of her "fat" clothes that were my size and she mailed them to me. It really helped me out and was very grateful for it... so maybe you can reach out to your friends and see if any of them are that particular size and see if they want them and send them their way! Good luck on your journey!
  • CactusF1ower
    CactusF1ower Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I took most to The Goodwill and checked to see if my mom wanted any of the ones she could fit into. But this is a great idea... Clothes are NOT cheep and I got with someone on there that had some of her "fat" clothes that were my size and she mailed them to me. It really helped me out and was very grateful for it... so maybe you can reach out to your friends and see if any of them are that particular size and see if they want them and send them their way! Good luck on your journey!

This sounds like an awesome idea!
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    As soon as I went down a size I went to GW and donated my old clothes and then bought new ones there, which saved me a LOT of money over the duration of my weight loss (went from a size 14 jean to a size 2/4 now and had to buy all the sizes in between lol). Now that I'm pretty much done losing weight I am buying some 'new' clothes from retail stores, like bras and such, but I still find the cutest things at GW and you can't beat their prices :)
  • AndiGirl70
    AndiGirl70 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Having struggled with weight for a lifetime I used to hang onto my fattie clothes just in case I needed them again. I know self fulfilling prophesy! Now I keep a bin in my closet and when they get too big to wear I donate them to a local charity. I don't ever intend to need them again.
  • lauriem1966
    lauriem1966 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I donated a bunch but I do have some really nice higher end tops that I will be having altered.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I donated all my good quality work clothes (suits, shoes, blouses, etc.) to a local charity that helps people of limited means get back into the work force. I kept 4 seasonal suits and 2 dresses, had them tailored. It took me awhile to part with the really nice stuff -- I had a significant amount of money invested in these suits. But I finally parted with them, because I never want to be able to fit them ever again.
    I donated my casual clothes to a few local charities and some family members.
    I gave all the okay-quality things away for free on our local "FreeCycle" site (where you can give or swap things).
    One thing I am doing is I'm keeping my new wardrobe down to a manageable size; I find it is much easier to get dressed when I don't have a bunch of choices. It also narrows my shoe choices down. I'm much happier with a smaller wardrobe. (And now hubby has room in the closet for his things, too!)
  • shelleywmorris
    Options
    After 7 months, I have over 5 large garbage bags full of them. At first, I think I was scared to get rid of them just in case. I am a pack rat anyway. But now, I think I want to wait until I am down to my goal size so I can see just how many bags I end up with through it all. Then, after I have lined up all the overstuffed (just like I used to be) bags, I will take a picture to remind myself how far I have come, and they will all be taken away for donation. I can't wait!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Some were taken in, some were given or thrown away. Others I can still wear.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'm washing and boxing things up now. I intend to keep one pair of pants, skirt, and top in the largest size I've still got as a reminder, but the rest will either be consigned if I can find a shop or given to charity.
  • tbullucks06
    tbullucks06 Posts: 128
    Options
    Keeping them as a reminder of where I don't want to go back to. :happy:
  • jhandur
    jhandur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Saving them to function as future maternity clothing. Part of them I already loaned to my sister in law for her pregnancy.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Donating most. I was going to try my hand at DIY tailoring some of my big button up shirts. Haven't taken the time to do it yet though.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I shove them in a big box I have in my room. I'm horrible with taking the time to deal with outgrown clothes though... I have a huge pile of kids clothes in a closet.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I donated them all.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I see if my friends want them first, then I donate the rest.
  • tazmaninaz
    tazmaninaz Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm donating everything, except for one of the largest shirts and largest for a before and after photo, then donating those.