What are you doing with your "FAT" clothes?

Options

Replies

• k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what you are doing with all your "fat" clothes? One of the best part of a healthier lifestyle is getting to buy newer smaller clothes, fitting into things that we wouldn't have thought about twice of buying X numbers of lbs ago.

Me personally once Ive completely out shrunk a piece of clothing I either give it away to charity or bin if not suitable to give away. I don't want to keep any of it apart from 1 item to remind me that this is how you use to be dont come back here.

So what are you thoughts?

I strongly believe that through death is life borne; a new beginning. So I'd opted to accommodate that, which I'd initially believed I'd needn't have done, as early as I'd had to.

6i88ya.jpg

Initially I'd thought to just keep them all and then see how it goes with my efforts and lo and behold, I was shedding all too quickly really, so whilst continuing with my reducing size, I'd immediately started sorting my wardrobe. The knits/the delicate formals from the casuals; Putting aside what I could recycle for me and my family and friends ~ cushions - scarves - water bottle covers ~ quilts ~ activity smocks ~ pet toys/blankies/beds ... I'd started with the cushions for outdoors (last year), mainly because they were the easiest to do. For the rest which weren't recyclable in my life ~> Donation for the majority and to the Consignment Store(s) for some.
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I donated the clothes which have gotten too big, except for the pants and shirt I'm wearing in my 'before' picture.

Opposite to fat clothes, I also had a whole bunch of skinny clothes, which I intended to wear when I got back to that size. Well, the weight loss journey took much longer than I thought. A few years ago I finally realized that even if I could fit back into them, I was never ever going to wear them again. They dated back from when I was 19-ish and about a decade had passed when I tossed them out. I can't even imagine the looks I'd get nowadays if I'd wear my 90's bellyfree tops lol
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Give mine to charity, and for pants I don't really need to buy more right now...My sister gave me a few of her pants so have plenty!
  • Rockmyskinnyjeans
    Rockmyskinnyjeans Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I have mostly sent them to friends from support groups and that I've met on MFP, as well. I've also done clothing swaps. I've also given a good deal of it to my mother recently. I had another box or 2 ready to mail to friends within a week or so. I do not hang on to my "fat" clothes any longer, as I feel like it only holds me back.
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I donated all mine to Dress For Success!
  • naou
    naou Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I still wear them :) Losing 55 lbs didn't change my body THAT much :( They're a little loose now though :)
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I held on to them for one year. I went from 16 to 6 now, so decided to donate them to Big Brothers in my neighbourhood. I wasn't ready to give them away earlier but when they started to look silly on me, I gave them happily away.
  • amylb0822
    amylb0822 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Likely some of them willbe donated... but many of them are going to be part of a huge bonfire... where I will sacrificing them as a means of ridding myself of the evil spirit "Obesitay"...
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    burn them and make smores
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    I turn my shirts into more workout shirts and my pants i donate
  • bootsiejayne
    bootsiejayne Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have sold mine on the cheap for folks who need them. Helps fund my new wardrobe.
  • AEMW8
    AEMW8 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Pants I'll get rid of. If they look okay, I'll make sure they're washed and donate to Goodwill. If they have holes or the like, I'll cut them up and make something else out of them.

T-shirts I'll cut up to make pillows or workout shirts.

Blouses/dresses, especially if they're button down, I'll keep and adjust if needed.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm a school teacher so I had TON of professional clothes. I kept all the nicer clothes to give away to friends/family and donated the rest. I swear I kept the Good Will in business for that month. lol

Also, I take a lot of my old rock band t-shirts and crafted them into new styles using Pinterest. It was a lot of fun!
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I had a yard sale and then realized I had friends/coworkers who needed clothes and then gave them what they wanted and the remainder to GOODWILL.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I have been giving them to a co-worker who can use them. I tried to get him to start in Jan 2013 when I did he said no. I remind him he could be much lighter by now every chance I get.

That sounds... really obnoxious.
  • RandysGirl1098
    Options
    I connected a local charity thrift store with my fitness center. I decorated and provided a nice bin for clothing drop-offs (slogan: Your Loss Can Be A Child's Gain). Each week, I gather the donated clothes and walk then five doors down to the thrift shop.
    They are thrilled to be getting clothing in much nicer condition than usual cast-offs. And we are all thrilled that we are smaller and are helping foster children at the same time. It feels great!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Just went through my fat clothes today.

I separated out all of my Polo stuff that is in great condition still. I am not one that really cares about labels and such, but when I was at my biggest I knew exactly what Polo size fit best. Shopping mostly online I quickly learned that not all big and tall sizes were equal, so after getting burned a couple of times I ended up sticking with Polo - and just grabbing stuff on sales. Now I have a huge lot ($1608 retail) of 5x/6x polo stuff. Will attempt to sell this and if I fail - will donate to someone. In this case Id rather make a good one on one connection - maybe with a younger guy who cant afford or find decent clothes - since I was in their shoes once.

Out of everything else, I ended up with 2 bags of random clothes (donating to a friend of my moms who is large) and a half bag to throw out.

I am kind of ****ting my pants to get rid of this though, to be honest...

Sidenote - I lost a hat size and potentially a shoe size too LOL
  • SEEotU
    SEEotU Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I intend to alter or repurpose mine.
  • Tannedtiffers
    Tannedtiffers Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    i've given them (4 different times) to friends of mine that wanted/needed them :)
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've given the away to others mostly. I did keep my old favorite jeans and t-shirt to use for after pictures though!