Going Plant-Based is the New Prescription, Says Nation’s Leading Physicians

Options
http://www.organicauthority.com/going-plant-based-is-the-new-prescription-says-nations-leading-physicians/
“A number of mainstream medical groups now endorse vegetarian (or vegetarian-ish) diets, including the American Cancer Society, the American Institute for Cancer Research, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and, over protests from the meat industry, the USDA group that issues dietary guidelines,” reports Mother Jones. “In 2014, the American College of Cardiology elected its first ever vegan president, Dr. Kim A. Williams. In 2013, Kaiser Permanente, the nation’s largest healthcare network, asked its physicians to suggest a plant-based diet to their patients. Just this week, the American Medical Association passed a resolution recommending that hospitals offer patients non-meat meals.”

Unsure if I qualify @ 7 servings of fruits / veggies a day.

Replies

• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    But we also have incisors and canines for tearing into meat...so some food should be animal based.

... and our ancestors were toasted by 30-35. :smile:
  • saintor1
    Options
    Modern medicine has not much to do with longer life spans....hygiene and processed water did. I am near 50 but was never treated medically

Most of modern medicine are required to process illness by bad habits anyway (most of heart, diabete and possibly cancer conditions are).

Meat eater here... (but not much) :wink:
  • saintor1
    edited June 2017
    Options
    The number one risk factor for both heart disease and cancer is age.

Cancer is often a lottery and yes has more probability as we age.

I don't think that it is true for heart disease. There are places in the world that it is rare even at 70-80 yo and those men have 110/70 blood pressure.

In both cases, we know that lifestyle has a direct impact, specially plant-based diets.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    I don't think that it is true for heart disease.

It doesn't matter what you think; it's a fact. http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20188499,00.html http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/UnderstandYourRiskstoPreventaHeartAttack/Understand-Your-Risks-to-Prevent-a-Heart-Attack_UCM_002040_Article.jsp#.WUsYrnp1HRE

My grandmother is my n=1 example. She died of heart failure at 88 years old, with no other risk factors applying.

There are in fact no places in the world where it's rare. Cardiovascular disease (e.g. ischaemic heart disease and strokes) are the world's top killers. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs310/en/ Both remain major killers even in economically disadvantaged places where infectious disease is more dangerous.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    But we also have incisors and canines for tearing into meat...so some food should be animal based.

... and our ancestors were toasted by 30-35. :smile:

Yeah no.
  • saintor1
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I don't think that it is true for heart disease.

It doesn't matter what you think; it's a fact. http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20188499,00.html http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/UnderstandYourRiskstoPreventaHeartAttack/Understand-Your-Risks-to-Prevent-a-Heart-Attack_UCM_002040_Article.jsp#.WUsYrnp1HRE

My grandmother is my n=1 example. She died of heart failure at 88 years old, with no other risk factors applying.

Bad interpretation.

People with bad habits will maintain their total cholesterol high, above 150 and damage their vascular system as they age.

If they did the right thing, it wouldn't be so.

Meet centenarian and retired heart surgeon Ellsworth Wareham, a vegan of 102yo.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2015/04/08/exp-human-factor-dr-ellsworth-wareham.cnn

• saintor1
    Options
    Yeah, yeah. And I can point to thousands of older non-vegans. So what?

the point is , where you want it or not and no matter the age, when total cholesterol is very low (like 150 or less), cardiac disease is very rare.

very low total cholesterol won't happen to typical meat eaters. this is why I keep my consumption low.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options

the point is , where you want it or not and no matter the age, when total cholesterol is very low (like 150 or less), cardiac disease is very rare.

very low total cholesterol won't happen to typical meat eaters. this is why I keep my consumption low.

I'm not sure what you mean by "typical" meat eaters. Maybe people who eat a lot more meat than doctors recommend? I eat meat daily, and my cholesterol is very low.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

I eat meat, my cholesterol is low. Your point is invalid.
  • saintor1
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »

I'm not sure what you mean by "typical" meat eaters. Maybe people who eat a lot more meat than doctors recommend? I eat meat daily, and my cholesterol is very low.

Actual north american guidelines call for a total cholesterol of max. 200.

We know that about 1/3 of victims with cardiac disease have it with-in the range of 150-200. Cardiac diseases not due to a predisposition is near non-existent for people with less than 150.

This is why many are pushing that this guideline of 200 is still too high.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Eating meat daily is one thing. Eating red meat or pork for 5 of them is definitely unhealthy. If 5 days out of 7 are fish, chicken, and shellfish...huge difference.

I personally could never stomach eating meat more than 3 days per week, but that's because I'm mostly grossed out by it, not because I think it's deadly.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options

You said nothing to support that point at all.