Going Plant-Based is the New Prescription, Says Nation’s Leading Physicians

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My doctor, a Kaiser physician, recommended red meat a few times a week and all the iron rich plants and supplements weren't bringing up my iron levels enough. I'm good now.

Though I also eat a lot of veggies and some fruit every day as well.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    ccsernica wrote: »
    I don't think that it is true for heart disease.

It doesn't matter what you think; it's a fact. http://www.health.com/health/condition-article/0,,20188499,00.html http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HeartAttack/UnderstandYourRiskstoPreventaHeartAttack/Understand-Your-Risks-to-Prevent-a-Heart-Attack_UCM_002040_Article.jsp#.WUsYrnp1HRE

My grandmother is my n=1 example. She died of heart failure at 88 years old, with no other risk factors applying.

Bad interpretation.

People with bad habits will maintain their total cholesterol high, above 150 and damage their vascular system as they age.

If they did the right thing, it wouldn't be so.

Meet centenarian and retired heart surgeon Ellsworth Wareham, a vegan of 102yo.

http://www.cnn.com/videos/health/2015/04/08/exp-human-factor-dr-ellsworth-wareham.cnn

My great grandma was a centenarian. She ate meat daily, along with eggs, cows milk, etc. I don't remember her having much seafood living in an isolated area in the middle of the US.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Modern medicine has not much to do with longer life spans....hygiene and processed water did. I am near 50 but was never treated medically

Most of modern medicine are required to process illness by bad habits anyway (most of heart, diabete and possibly cancer conditions are).

Meat eater here... (but not much) :wink:

Never had a vaccine? Never lived in a community with herd immunity because of widespread vaccination? Your mother gave birth to you in a cave or field with no medical assistance? She received no prenatal care? Never had a tetanus shot? Never used a topical antibiotic or antiseptic on a cut?
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Modern medicine has not much to do with longer life spans....hygiene and processed water did. I am near 50 but was never treated medically

Most of modern medicine are required to process illness by bad habits anyway (most of heart, diabete and possibly cancer conditions are).

Never had a vaccine? Never lived in a community with herd immunity because of widespread vaccination? Your mother gave birth to you in a cave or field with no medical assistance? She received no prenatal care? Never had a tetanus shot? Never used a topical antibiotic or antiseptic on a cut?

Since when is a vaccine a treatment? I would rather rank those preventive measures otherwise than a treatment, but I'll give you that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Since when is a vaccine a treatment? I would rather rank those preventive measures otherwise than a treatment, but I'll give you that.

It's preventative treatment that saves lives...I mean really?

People used to die all the time from things we now are vaccinated for...

Have you never been given an antibiotic? Those save countless lives too...
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Yeah, yeah. And I can point to thousands of older non-vegans. So what?

the point is , where you want it or not and no matter the age, when total cholesterol is very low (like 150 or less), cardiac disease is very rare.

very low total cholesterol won't happen to typical meat eaters. this is why I keep my consumption low.

I eat meat, poultry, fish, etc...my cholesterol used to be really high...it's in the optimal range now for both LDL and HDL...likely because I also eat a lot of veg and fruit and exercise regularly...
  • saintor1
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You are getting it wrong. Antibiotics came late in the game (since late 40s-50s), so does large scale vaccination.
    The dramatic increase of lifespan started before.

I am not against modern medicine or anything (my dad was a doctor), but I believe that, since thousands of year and particularly in the last 200 years, increasing the lifespan has more to do with basic hygiene and drinkable [treated] water.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

You are getting it wrong. Antibiotics came late in the game (since late 40s-50s), so does large scale vaccination.

I am not against modern medicine or anything (my dad was a doctor), but I believe that, since thousands of year and particularly in the last 200 years, increasing the lifespan has more to do with basic hygiene and drinkable [treated] water.

Penicillin came into play in 1928.

In 1900 the average life expectancy for a white male was 47 years...in 2000 it was 75...but sure, advancements in medicine have nothing to do with that...

herp derp....
  • saintor1
    Options

Penicillin came into play in 1928.

In 1900 the average life expectancy for a white male was 47 years...in 2000 it was 75...but sure, advancements in medicine have nothing to do with that...

herp derp....

In 1930, average life expectancy for a white male was 60 yo, that was BEFORE vaccins and penicillin. So from 47 (your number) to 60, that is a drastic improvement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penicillin

"Penicillin was discovered in 1928 by Scottish scientist Alexander Fleming.[3] People began using it to treat infections in 1942."

Two different things.

• cwolfman13
    Options
    Average life expectancy increased from 1900 because of a dramatic drop in infant mortality. And yes, that was largely due to modern medicine.

unpossible....
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Yeah, yeah. And I can point to thousands of older non-vegans. So what?

the point is , where you want it or not and no matter the age, when total cholesterol is very low (like 150 or less), cardiac disease is very rare.

very low total cholesterol won't happen to typical meat eaters. this is why I keep my consumption low.

I dont eat much meat and red meat only in a blue moon and my LDL is high.
    Eating meat is not the only means of increasing dietary cholesterol. You are omitting other food groups, lack of movement, body weight and genetics.
    Also there were studies that very low cholesterol isnt great for you either.

Back to the good ol "everything in moderation".

Edit: There is nothing wrong with eating lean meats. OR even a big juicy steak. But how these meats are prepared and how often along with the rest of the diet and lifestyle contributions are also important factors. This thread is silly. There are plenty people with terrific cholesterol numbers who have heart attacks.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    the human body is capable of making cholesterol if the circumstances are right.

Antibiotics may be good in life threatening situations but they carry a down side. As well as eliminating the bacteria which is causing the problem antibiotics will change and reduce the balance of digestive bacteria especially if several courses are taken within a period, I have read many recomendations for digestive microbes to be suplemented when taking a course so as to maintain a good balance.

A totally plant based diet runs the risk of being lower in vitamin b12 than is helpful. It is there but not in the quantities humans are regarded to require so meat eating is often advisable.

There is also another problem with the water soluble vitamin b 12, there is a specific microbe which is required to make the "intrinsic factor" which encapsulates the molecules of b 12 to facilitate their transit through the stomach to a lower stage where it can be easily absorbed.
  • saintor1
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Average life expectancy increased from 1900 because of a dramatic drop in infant mortality. And yes, that was largely due to modern medicine.

unpossible....

Totally correct, it was too early.

Better hygiene and general water chlorination, that is.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

unpossible....

Totally correct, it was too early.

Better hygiene and general water chlorination, that is.

I'm pretty sure @cwolfman13 was being sarcastic.
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »

That would be pretty much always. We need cholesterol -- not as a nutrient, but as an essential part of our biochemistry.
  • saintor1
    Options
    I'm pretty sure @cwolfman13 was being sarcastic.

*I know.*

• Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Clean water in the industrialized world likely also greatly increased the lifespan of average human. Still today it is a huge problem. In 2000 WHO estimated that 2.2 million people died from diarrheal diseases. This does not include other other water born pathogens. http://pacinst.org/app/uploads/2013/02/water_related_deaths_report3.pdf

Back on topic: Okinawa had a traditional diet that was huge in carbohydrates but included a large portion of fish and pork. Calorie intake was fairly low overall. They were at times the oldest living group in Japan and even the world. I live here and can honestly say that there are more people active in 70s and older than I have ever seen also. They walk to the store and post office. I saw a 70 year old man climb a mango tree to pick fruits. So exercise or more appropriately activity also means a lot.

Sardinia Italy is a well known area for longevity in the western world. They also eat larger amounts of fish and include milk and eggs into the diet.

So neither of these documented long life populations are strict vegetarians. The diets include whole foods and not processed crap and even have indulgences in wine or awamori. They don't avoid all carbs, fat, or animal protein. They just eat stuff in moderation in comparison to the modern western world. They also remain active far later in life.

Side note: The last generation of long lived people on Okinawa do to diet may be retired already. Most people born post war eat no better than average person in the US. Sure they eat more fish but the sodium intake is pretty damn high and processed foods are a go to. The difference is most people still exercise nightly with walks and jogging. Morbid obesity is far from the norm but there are plenty of people in 30's and younger in the obese BMI group. Pretty rare to see an obese person in 40's and older here.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »

Antibiotics may be good in life threatening situations but they carry a down side. As well as eliminating the bacteria which is causing the problem antibiotics will change and reduce the balance of digestive bacteria especially if several courses are taken within a period, I have read many recomendations for digestive microbes to be suplemented when taking a course so as to maintain a good balance.

A totally plant based diet runs the risk of being lower in vitamin b12 than is helpful. It is there but not in the quantities humans are regarded to require so meat eating is often advisable.

There is also another problem with the water soluble vitamin b 12, there is a specific microbe which is required to make the "intrinsic factor" which encapsulates the molecules of b 12 to facilitate their transit through the stomach to a lower stage where it can be easily absorbed.

You don't have to eat meat (or other animal products) to get B12. Supplements are easy to find and affordable and there are also many fortified foods.

Since many people have to wind up supplementing anyway (the largest group of people with B12 deficiencies in the US is people over 65, not vegans), eating animal products solely for B12 doesn't make much sense.