Yoga - 3 poses - two week challenge - Round 2 (starting Monday, June 26)

Options
daneejela
daneejela Posts: 461 Member
So, here is the round two of the 3 pose yoga challenge.
Rules are simple, 3 poses, 2 weeks, you can either add a new poses or continue with a poses from the last challenge (i.e if you're working on more advanced poses).
The idea behind is to get non overwhelming intro into yoga and maybe to get a habit of daily yoga routine. New round starts on Monday, so that we have a bit or pause from the last challenge and time to prepare for the next :) Everyone is welcome to join!

(copy from the last challenge)
For all of you who are beginners in yoga and feel overwhelmed with it's complexity and so many poses (or maybe you are at advanced level but have some poses that you'd like to master) here is a simple challenge:

- Pick (only) 3 yoga poses that you want to learn/master.
- Daily do those 3 poses focusing on correct alignment.
- Log at this thread that you did it for a day :)

Looking forward to new round :) Any reflexions, suggestion, wishes, advices are welcome as usual :)

Replies

• jellybean0975
    jellybean0975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun, count me in!
  • ddnorwood
    ddnorwood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm new to yoga. Any suggestions for beginner poses?
  • daneejela
    Options
    I am also a beginner, so maybe I am not right person to give a suggestions, but here are some of mine favorites:
    (I've chosen it based on sedentary lifestyle common issues - weak hips, tight chest)

- downward dog (great hamstrings and back stretch, chest opener)
    - puppy pose (or modification with chair) feels great as an upper back stretch
    - bridge pose
    - chair pose
    - tree pose (great for balance, hip strength and stability, hip opener)
    - moon pose (similar benefits as tree pose)
  • Charm_1
    Charm_1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What a wonderful idea! I've been wanting to try Yoga but have no idea where to start. Learning 3 poses sounds manageable.

^^^^Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into these.

Count me in! :)
  • daneejela
    Options
    My tree poses for this round are:

- Triangle pose
    - Half moon pose
    - Warrior III

I've wanted to choose dolphin pose and one-leg downward dog, but my upper back/neck is really bad those days, so I think it's better if I just stay away from anything that adds pressure to that part.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I would like to join. I felt so wonderful after doing a yoga challenge in May and I trolled your last challenge! Good one. I don't even know all the pose names. But here they are:

- warrior pose with variations
    - triangle pose
    - Lotus (with meditation)

• DodieAnnB
    DodieAnnB Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    I am also a beginner, so maybe I am not right person to give a suggestions, but here are some of mine favorites:
    (I've chosen it based on sedentary lifestyle common issues - weak hips, tight chest)

- downward dog (great hamstrings and back stretch, chest opener)
    - puppy pose (or modification with chair) feels great as an upper back stretch
    - bridge pose
    - chair pose
    - tree pose (great for balance, hip strength and stability, hip opener)
    - moon pose (similar benefits as tree pose)

Glad you pointed some out. I had no idea what to search for
  • daneejela
    Options
    Girls, I am so happy you're interested! :)

It was really good this morning, I am happy with the chosen poses. In the warrior 3 my body was shaking, I guess my hips are too weak, which was a confirmation that I need those poses.
    I am not much into spiritual part of the yoga, but there is something in this triangle pose that makes me feel so good :)
  • JMAE1979
    JMAE1979 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds fun, I need yoga in my life. I'm going to pick my 3 poses today!
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Curvykinkycurls Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Namaste ladies! I'd love to join this challenge please.

My poses for today are for
    Knees - Extended triangle pose
    Hips - Marichi's/Sage pose
    Lower back - Downward facing dog
  • AmyM831
    AmyM831 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I would love to join. I am older and a beginner. So I choose, plank, warrior and tree.
  • jackinorrie
    jackinorrie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    This is GREAT!! I am in. I know the challenge started today-so I'm going to research my three poses and I will get back to you as soon as I'm done them. Thanks everybody I'm really excited about this!
    Jacki
  • jackinorrie
    jackinorrie Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Ok. Here are my 3:

Bound Angle pose
    Bridge pose
    Dolphin pose

WEEK1

Day 1 - done
  • AmyM831
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1-Done
  • daneejela
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1 - done
    Week 1 Day 2 - done :)

P.S. I'm so happy that you ladies joined the challenge! <3
  • AmyM831
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1-done
    Week 1 Day 2-done
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Options
    Day 2 done
    Knees - Extended triangle pose
    Hips - Marichi's/Sage pose
    Lower back - Downward facing dog

Namaste - thank you - after a workout it was great to do these poses to stretch out before bed!
  • daneejela
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1 - done
    Week 1 Day 2 - done
    Week 1 Day 3 - done

:)

It so funny, I am wanting to try yoga for years, collecting poses, I have a huge Pinterest board with all sorts of poses and routines. But every time I would get to the point to actually do it I would delay it for the next day or week, or next season etc.
    I feel lazy now also, but then I say to myself - hey, it only three poses and only two weeks. You can do the darn few minutes just for the sake of challenge. And when I do it, it feels so good afterwards :)
  • AmyM831
    Options
    Week 1 Day 1 - done
    Week 1 Day 2 - done
    Week 1 Day 3 - done

After just doing them for 3 days, I see a slight improvement. I am able to hold the plank and warrior for 40 seconds now. The tree for now, I just try to see how long I can go without falling over. Form will come later, I just have to get my balance first. That one is going to take awhile to master.
  • Curvykinkycurls
    Options
    @AmyM831 hahaha.....you just reminded me of my yoga teacher, she told us never to use the B word :smiley: imagine your whole foot is a rooted to the ground, feel each and every toe connect with the ground and then attempt the pose.