Why eating too little calories is a bad idea.....

Options

Replies

• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    2aycocks wrote: »
    I'm one of those who is scratching my head about not losing. I've been doing this for 70 days. I log everything and measure portions. I lost 5 pounds immediately and have not lost anything since. I used MFP to calculate my calories based on 1 pound per week. I would be happy for you to look at my diary over the past 2 months and see what else I can do. I would appreciate the input.

You would probably receive more input on this by starting your own thread- many posters that regularly help people with issues like this probably won't find it here. I looked through about a week of your diary and noticed some room for improvement with your logging. It's late, so rather than breaking it down for you, here is a post I created to help new ones with their accuracy:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10640205/the-basics-of-accurate-logging#latest

You may think you can't be *that* far off, but there are many here that can attest to a food scale getting things moving again even though they thought their logging was fine. Also, I saw one day where you just logged 1500 for the day. Everybody does that once in a while, but if it happens regularly, it's going to interfere with your progress. The good news is, if that first 5 lbs has stayed off, you are losing, just at an average of .5 lb/week instead of 1. Tightening up your logging should probably fix that really easily :)
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    mamacom13 wrote: »
    @2aycocks I lost 7 pounds fairly quickly, but now I have stalled. I tried lowering my calories for the day and felt like I was going to pass out. I guess I need to workout harder. I don't know.

I don't know what kind of time-frame you are talking about here, but if it's just been a few weeks or less, you haven't stalled. Most people lose several lbs of water weight right off the bat and then it may seem like nothing is happening for a while, but the fat loss just needs some time to show up on the scale. If you are logging accurately and in a calorie deficit, the scale will catch up eventually. Do NOT lower calories, or make any changes really, until you have at least a month's worth of data to go on (and for a woman, 5 or 6 weeks, since we have all those fun fluctuations due to hormones) and even then, look at the accuracy of your logging first.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    VUA21 wrote: »
    folgers86 wrote: »
    My only issue with posts like these is regarding people, like myself, who work with their doctor and are cleared for a medically supervised low calorie diet. Right now my doctor is ok with me eating 900-1000 calories a day and I work with her, a trained professional who knows my medical history. I understand there are people who really need information like this, but it really irks me when MFP tries to reset my goals that I discussed ad nauseum with my doctor.

I'm about to do that as well, also under medical care. For the next 72 days I am going to be highly monitored and on an insanly low caloric intake pre-surgery. I'm also getting a daily supplement that conatins every micronutrient I need, while having my blood work checked very regularly. Why can't some people understand that when medical professionals (doctors) put you on a diet, they do know what they are doing.

because many times we have seen/heard stories of people being put on VLCD diets by doctors who have provided no nutritional support; or using questionable supplements that only they sell...FWIW, most doctors unless they specialize in weight loss surgery only receive about 5 hours of nutrition training during their med school years

That bites. I have two MD's working with me. One is an MD, registered dietician, and internist (he holds two separate MD's). So yeah, I trust him with nutrition. The other is a plastic surgeon and dietician as well, while I never had weight loss surgery, I am getting my flap removed due to massive weight loss that I did over several years. The looser I can get my skin, the better for surgery, while remaining healthy.

My situation is far from normal and not recommend without being under very strict medical observation.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,609 Member
    Options
    My situation is far from normal and not recommend without being under very strict medical observation.

So you see how/why a general use web site (geared to people who are NOT under strict medical observation and testing and do NOT have a time sensitive medical need that will offer them more health benefits than the risks they're taking to get there) is primarily addressing a different audience?

There are many things in life that we CAN do.
    They even sound like good ideas at the time.
    And yet they sometimes bite us in the *kitten*.
    And then we look back and think: "hey, this ended up being a bad idea. Should have done a better cost-benefit analysis".
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My only issue with posts like these is regarding people, like myself, who work with their doctor and are cleared for a medically supervised low calorie diet. Right now my doctor is ok with me eating 900-1000 calories a day and I work with her, a trained professional who knows my medical history. I understand there are people who really need information like this, but it really irks me when MFP tries to reset my goals that I discussed ad nauseum with my doctor.

I'm about to do that as well, also under medical care. For the next 72 days I am going to be highly monitored and on an insanly low caloric intake pre-surgery. I'm also getting a daily supplement that conatins every micronutrient I need, while having my blood work checked very regularly. Why can't some people understand that when medical professionals (doctors) put you on a diet, they do know what they are doing.

because many times we have seen/heard stories of people being put on VLCD diets by doctors who have provided no nutritional support; or using questionable supplements that only they sell...FWIW, most doctors unless they specialize in weight loss surgery only receive about 5 hours of nutrition training during their med school years

That bites. I have two MD's working with me. One is an MD, registered dietician, and internist (he holds two separate MD's). So yeah, I trust him with nutrition. The other is a plastic surgeon and dietician as well, while I never had weight loss surgery, I am getting my flap removed due to massive weight loss that I did over several years. The looser I can get my skin, the better for surgery, while remaining healthy.

I was on a medically supervised liquid diet before bariatric surgery. I’ll pass on a pro tip. No marathons for you. Take it easy as you will be dizzy and weak. Accept all hand holds. Best of success to you.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I was on a medically supervised liquid diet before bariatric surgery. I’ll pass on a pro tip. No marathons for you. Take it easy as you will be dizzy and weak. Accept all hand holds. Best of success to you.

@jgnatca

I can barely jog 3 miles at a sloths pace (I run as slow as a heard of turtles running through peanut butter, but I run). So yeah I won't be running a marathon anytime soon. I'm one a major deficit now...one week before surgery I up my calories a lot. Day before...ugh...water, nothing else. I've been told recovery from a tummy tuck (I prefer to call it belly flap removal) is a lot like a C-section...at least I won't have a newborn to look after. At least I'm listed as "ideal candidate", lost weight from eating properly & exercise, and have kept if off for a year, so per my plastic surgeon, I should recover much faster than average.

Thank you, and yes I will be accepting any and all help I can get for my recovery. My best friend has offered to come over daily just to make me lunch.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump bump