Infused water! What's up with this trend?

Options
I always see people posting pics of their water infused with fruits or cucumber. Are there real benefits to it? If yes, what? Please explain. Other than taste what else could be the benefits....

Replies

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    lol @ cucumber water
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It just tastes good depending on the fruit. Cucmber water does not sound very good. But apparently people like it.
    The health benefit would be that it gets some people to drink more water (if they don't like plain water) and it has no or very little calories.
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet pop so I like something with flavor
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I like cucumber and lime together. Again, not any health benefits, but it tastes good and helps me to drink more water rather than soda.
  • savalex0808
    savalex0808 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Cucumber water, is almost an oxymoron, since cucumbers are actually 96% water already. and I agree with MommyMeggo, it always seems slimy.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It makes plain water taste better? I personally find cucumber water gross...

An alkaline compound called cucurbitacin is produced by the plant to make its leaves less attractive to animals. Some of this compound often accumulates in the stem end of the fruit as well. Lack of adequate sunlight can increase this compound in the fruit.

One answer to remove this bitterness is to peel the cucumber before eating or infusing with it.

A few thin slices of peeled cucumber, some mint leaves, and a pinch of salt in a pitcher of cold water, left for an hour or two in the fridge, makes a nice refreshing beverage on a summer day.

Alternatively, try ice cold pickle juice and vodka. Seriously.

There is a bar I go to that does a vodka martini with two infused vodkas (one horseradish, one dill) and they garnish it with a tiny pickle. One of my favorite cocktails ever, perfect on a hot day.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    just a way to help choke down more water.....
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I know that infusing water isn't good for anything except adding flavor to it, but the people posting about it on social media never seem to. It's always about this "alkalizing" or "belly fat melting" or "metabolism boosting" recipe they found.

It's all horse crap. If you don't care to keep them as a friend, make sure and let them know. Otherwise, keep scrolling. It's seldom worth the effort.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I know you're supposed to soak some some plants in water to draw out the poisons, but you're not supposed to drink it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    sansob wrote: »
    I always see people posting pics of their water infused with fruits or cucumber. Are there real benefits to it? If yes, what? Please explain. Other than taste what else could be the benefits....

It makes you trendy. Other than that, no benefits at all. :)
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I sometimes throw some mint, basil, whatever is around in a pitcher of water just to make it taste better. It helps me drink more, but I don't think there's any other benefit.