Infused water! What's up with this trend?

Options

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Cucumber water, is almost an oxymoron, since cucumbers are actually 96% water already. and I agree with MommyMeggo, it always seems slimy.

You want slimy try okra in water. Someone convinced me to try it for health benefits it was like drinking spit!!! Never again.

Oh gawd no.
    I know all about slimy okra from making gumbo.
    But drinking in water? ...gag me with a spoon
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I use one, too. And I'm not some *holistic nut*. We buy tons of fresh strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries each week (mostly for my cereal) and I use the berries that look like they won't ripen up/too ripe to eat in my infuser so we aren't wasteful.

I love the taste of the fresh fruit in my water. That's my only other reason. I don't like plain water and since that's all I drink now...it makes it more enjoyable.

Some people use it for lemon, ginger, and cucumber to help digestion and suppress the appetite a bit. *shrugs* no woo to it, really.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    doggerland wrote: »
    I sometimes throw some mint, basil, whatever is around in a pitcher of water just to make it taste better. It helps me drink more, but I don't think there's any other benefit.

Mint.
    I think I might like that.
    *adds to grocery list*

Plant some. You'll never run out. Seriously: Most mint plants are terrible thugs - spread like crazy.

I have such a black thumb. Mine always dies. :(
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    I sometimes throw some mint, basil, whatever is around in a pitcher of water just to make it taste better. It helps me drink more, but I don't think there's any other benefit.

Mint.
    *adds to grocery list*

Plant some. You'll never run out. Seriously: Most mint plants are terrible thugs - spread like crazy.

Even better.
    Now ill have an excuse for mojitos.
    "But look at all this mint!!"
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options

Mint.
    *adds to grocery list*

I have such a black thumb. Mine always dies. :(

Wanna come kill mine? ;) Moisture, part shade, humus-y soil, and it usually runs wild, I swear.

Other readers: Buy a plant you like the smell of. It varies widely, and you might not like one from unknown seeds.

Back on topic: Pineapple sage also tastes good in infused water (or cocktails).

Moat herbs are easy to grow.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I keep going back and forth about getting a soda stream! I'm currently hooked on Polar waters that I can get from Boxed and drink at least 2 liters a day, lol. Pricey, but still less so that La Croix ;). When you add fruits, it works best to cut them up into chunks, or if you don't cut them up, use a toothpick or a fork to pierce the berries. it infuses better that way.
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    I like cucumber strawberry infused water. I have a great love for seltzer and before I found good flavored seltzer that I like, I would infused my plain seltzer with fruit and vanilla beans. I would drop in a few small chunks of pineapple or berries or a small section of split vanilla bean and put it in the fridge with the cap on tight until the next morning. It's delicious.

This sounds amazing! I'm obsessed with sparkling water (to the point I buy Costco packs of La Croix weekly). I want to get a SodaStream just to make sparkling water but have been hesitant because I wasn't sure of a good way to flavor it without buying the little flavor bottles. I love infused water of all sorts so not sure why I didn't think to do that for sparkling water too, so thanks for the idea! :)

I keep going back and forth about getting a soda stream! I'm currently hooked on Polar waters that I can get from Boxed and drink at least 2 liters a day, lol. Pricey, but still less so that La Croix ;). When you add fruits, it works best to cut them up into chunks, or if you don't cut them up, use a toothpick or a fork to pierce the berries. it infuses better that way.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It's just for flavor. No health benefits other than maybe drinking more water if you think it tastes better.
  • walking4me2day
    walking4me2day Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I grate some Turmeric and Ginger in mine...
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    On a similar note, What's up with alkaline water? I was buying water the other day, and totally confused by the types of water on the shelf, smart water, alkaline water....etc. What the hay? What happened to plain old H2O?
  • MommyMeggo
    Options
    ereck44 wrote: »
    On a similar note, What's up with alkaline water? I was buying water the other day, and totally confused by the types of water on the shelf, smart water, alkaline water....etc. What the hay? What happened to plain old H2O?

There is much controversy surrounding alkaline water and its effects on the body.
    Claims that an acidic pH causes an array of symptoms and feeds cancers, etc.
    Many bottled water brands have been tested and show to be acidic. Hell, my out-of-the-faucet is the most alkaline water Ive tested aside from the Essentia brand. (for the sake of curiosity)
    A simple google search may enlighten you. :) But read from reputable sources.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options

I became quite familiar with it when I discovered I had a serious Gastric Ulcer. I was down to living on greens and protein shakes and figured anything NOT acidic was at the top of my list. I can't say whether it helped anything, but I didn't like it up or have crippling pain, so a good investment for sure. We have a Zero Pitcher for years now and never drink tap water (ugh the chlorine taste... we even give the cat filtered water) so I don't buy the alkalized water anymore, but there's no reason to not give it a shot.
  • amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    1. It tastes good
    2. It feels like a treat and thus replace wine or cocktails
    3. It uses up extra herbs and berries
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I love my cucumber infused water! It tastes great.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Claims by idiots thinking that by drinking alkaline water or consuming alkaline foods will put the body in an alkaline and not acidic state.
    Problem is, it's BS. The body regulates pH on it's own REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU EAT OR DRINK. But, they won't tell you that. It doesn't sell.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• WendyLeigh1119
    edited June 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Claims by idiots thinking that by drinking alkaline water or consuming alkaline foods will put the body in an alkaline and not acidic state.
    Problem is, it's BS. The body regulates pH on it's own REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU EAT OR DRINK. But, they won't tell you that. It doesn't sell.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

While it's true that the body alkalizes itself... GI problems, illness, and disease change that balance. If the body actually alkalized itself PROPERLY then Reflux, Ulcers, and other GI problems would not be caused by or exacerbated by foods, beverages, or medications. And yet.... the that's exactly what Gastroenterologists will limit or have you eliminate. That's also what actual Medical Doctors point to as the cause of a variety of GI disorders.

So while it's *supposed to* regulate itself... that's not actually reality. And food and drinks absolutely affect that ability.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

While it's true that the body alkalizes itself... GI problems, illness, and disease change that balance. If the body actually alkalized itself PROPERLY then Reflux, Ulcers, and other GI problems would not be caused by or exacerbated by foods, beverages, or medications. And yet.... the that's exactly what Gastroenterologists will limit or have you eliminate. That's also what actual Medical Doctors point to as the cause of a variety of GI disorders.

So while it's *supposed to* regulate itself... that's not actually reality. And food and drinks absolutely affect that ability.
    I'm sorry, let me fix it................................GENERAL POPULATION who aren't suffering from health issues don't need to worry about pH balance.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    It makes plain water taste better? I personally find cucumber water gross...

An alkaline compound called cucurbitacin is produced by the plant to make its leaves less attractive to animals. Some of this compound often accumulates in the stem end of the fruit as well. Lack of adequate sunlight can increase this compound in the fruit.

One answer to remove this bitterness is to peel the cucumber before eating or infusing with it.

A few thin slices of peeled cucumber, some mint leaves, and a pinch of salt in a pitcher of cold water, left for an hour or two in the fridge, makes a nice refreshing beverage on a summer day.

Alternatively, try ice cold pickle juice and vodka. Seriously.

There is a bar I go to that does a vodka martini with two infused vodkas (one horseradish, one dill) and they garnish it with a tiny pickle. One of my favorite cocktails ever, perfect on a hot day.

When I was at the symphony last winter, after the performance they offered these amazing orange and earl grey tea infused gin martinis. It was probably the single most delicious drink I've ever had. I don't even like gin! I've always been a vodka martini girl.
    The bergamot in the earl grey tea just made the drink sing.
    But I couldn't get the recipe!!!!
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    I don't think people do it for any claimed benefits. From what I understand, it's to make water taste better (whatever that means, I can imagine what it means but I can't understand it) so they can drink their 8 cups a day without having to drink water that tastes like water. I tried it once out of curiousity, disgusting. It doesn't have enough taste to be juice and has just enough taste to stop being water, which is not what I want when I'm thirsty.
    Hail, a kindred spirit!
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I used to work with someone who would drink from a two liter bottle of water filled with eight green tea bags and cold water. It looked and smelled like the dregs of a stagnant lake.

He was convinced it was a magical fat burning metabolism booster or something.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The infuser bottles will disappear once people find out how hard they are to clean.