Infused water! What's up with this trend?

Options

Replies

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    doggerland wrote: »
    I sometimes throw some mint, basil, whatever is around in a pitcher of water just to make it taste better. It helps me drink more, but I don't think there's any other benefit.

Mint.
    I think I might like that.
    *adds to grocery list*
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    It tastes good, especially if you're sipping it at a spa...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    sansob wrote: »
    I always see people posting pics of their water infused with fruits or cucumber. Are there real benefits to it? If yes, what? Please explain. Other than taste what else could be the benefits....

It provides for something different than plain water. I like watermelon and basil...we usually only do this when we're having guests and cooking out and hanging out on the patio. It's just something refreshingly different out in the heat.
  • Runninjustincase
    Runninjustincase Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Personally I can't drink any water 'infused' it gives me migraines. Though I like to squirt lemon in my water!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The benefit is when it makes your water taste better. Personally I don't like cucumber water but I've infused other fruits and it's yummy.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I don't think people do it for any claimed benefits. From what I understand, it's to make water taste better (whatever that means, I can imagine what it means but I can't understand it) so they can drink their 8 cups a day without having to drink water that tastes like water. I tried it once out of curiousity, disgusting. It doesn't have enough taste to be juice and has just enough taste to stop being water, which is not what I want when I'm thirsty.
  • Btheodore138
    Btheodore138 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I like infused water because it reminds me of the glorious one time of year I get to go to the spa. Mmmm...fancy spa water.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I like cucumber strawberry infused water. I have a great love for seltzer and before I found good flavored seltzer that I like, I would infused my plain seltzer with fruit and vanilla beans. I would drop in a few small chunks of pineapple or berries or a small section of split vanilla bean and put it in the fridge with the cap on tight until the next morning. It's delicious.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I love the taste of infused water. I don't think there are any benefits other than that.

Same here. I was at a hotel in Knoxville not long ago, and they had a couple of infused water dispensers in the lobby with interesting mixes (fruit, maybe cucumber, maybe mint too) -- both were super tasty, but of course I've forgotten specifically what was in them, darn. Quite refreshing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    I like cucumber strawberry infused water.

Me too, it's a nice mix. On a somewhat different topic, I do a cucumber, strawberry, watermelon smoothie in the summer that is delicious too.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I would rather drink plain water and save the fruit for sangria :smiley:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I love the taste of infused water. I don't think there are any benefits other than that.

Same here. I was at a hotel in Knoxville not long ago, and they had a couple of infused water dispensers in the lobby with interesting mixes (fruit, maybe cucumber, maybe mint too) -- both were super tasty, but of course I've forgotten specifically what was in them, darn. Quite refreshing.

Hilton hotels tend to do this (probably others too). It's a nice touch, especially when you've been travelling all day. I was at one that had strawberries and rosemary. Been meaning to try that again at home.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Cucumber water, is almost an oxymoron, since cucumbers are actually 96% water already. and I agree with MommyMeggo, it always seems slimy.

You want slimy try okra in water. Someone convinced me to try it for health benefits it was like drinking spit!!! Never again.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Cucumber water, is almost an oxymoron, since cucumbers are actually 96% water already. and I agree with MommyMeggo, it always seems slimy.

You want slimy try okra in water. Someone convinced me to try it for health benefits it was like drinking spit!!! Never again.

Man, I gag just thinking about that.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    DamieBird wrote: »
    I like cucumber strawberry infused water. I have a great love for seltzer and before I found good flavored seltzer that I like, I would infused my plain seltzer with fruit and vanilla beans. I would drop in a few small chunks of pineapple or berries or a small section of split vanilla bean and put it in the fridge with the cap on tight until the next morning. It's delicious.

This sounds amazing! I'm obsessed with sparkling water (to the point I buy Costco packs of La Croix weekly). I want to get a SodaStream just to make sparkling water but have been hesitant because I wasn't sure of a good way to flavor it without buying the little flavor bottles. I love infused water of all sorts so not sure why I didn't think to do that for sparkling water too, so thanks for the idea! :)

Agreed that infusing water has no benefits other than making it taste good, but the taste makes it extremely easy for me to obliterate my water goals, especially since I don't like room-temp water, and can't drink plain water in the morning (no clue why, but it makes me feel sick to my stomach).
  • Losinandmovin
    Losinandmovin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think infused water tastes awful. If I'm going to flavor my water, I'll use the sugar-free drink packets. I know: chemicals. But I drink my water, and ultimately, that's my goal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    doggerland wrote: »
    I sometimes throw some mint, basil, whatever is around in a pitcher of water just to make it taste better. It helps me drink more, but I don't think there's any other benefit.

Mint.
    I think I might like that.
    *adds to grocery list*

Plant some. You'll never run out. Seriously: Most mint plants are terrible thugs - spread like crazy.