Losing body fat - females

Options

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    You're already at a healthy weight. You are going to have to be spot on with your calories to see any loss. Do you use a food scale?

Am I right that if she looking at losing fat, not weight (recomp), that she might need to tweet the macros and do more lifting than cardio?

Yes. Lifting and protein at .8g per pound of body weight. I personally just shoot for a full gram per pound.
  • GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns
    Options

bbell1985 wrote: »
    Absolutely diligent, 1000%. No food scale. Always at a 100-300 calorie deficit on MFP too. 1840 seems like way too much to me. Are there any females my size that maintain at that?

No food scale is not 1000%. Sorry.

I maintain on that but I weigh more than you. I'm also lazy AF and hate moving.

By diligence I mean I log every single thing I eat 100% of the time.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    1840 doesn't sound like a lot to me. I'm 5'3 and maintain on around 2000,though I'm (probably!) a lot older than you.
  • GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns
    Options
    1840 doesn't sound like a lot to me. I'm 5'3 and maintain on around 2000,though I'm (probably!) a lot older than you.

You are probably not, lol.
  • GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns
    Options
    You're already at a healthy weight. You are going to have to be spot on with your calories to see any loss. Do you use a food scale?

Am I right that if she looking at losing fat, not weight (recomp), that she might need to tweet the macros and do more lifting than cardio?

Yes. Lifting and protein at .8g per pound of body weight. I personally just shoot for a full gram per pound.

I eat 1.5g per lb
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    An experiment using a food scale to see if you are truly eating the amount of calories you think you are would take one unknown out of the equation, in order to figure out where you need to make changes. Go to WalMart or Target. Buy a digital food scale (They're usually under $20). Weigh and log everything for 2 weeks. See if you were accurate or not. If you were, take the scale back and get a refund. If not, keep it. It can't hurt and it might help.

770f6zk43tjb.jpg
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Absolutely diligent, 1000%. No food scale. Always at a 100-300 calorie deficit on MFP too. 1840 seems like way too much to me. Are there any females my size that maintain at that?

I'm 5'3", 147, and slowly recomping on an avg of 2400 a day (carb cycling)

Good for you. You must move more than me.

actually likely not - in fact I was pretty much a slug this weekend - I avg about 11k steps a day, maybe an hour of cardio a couple nights a week, more so on the weekends depending on where in the triathlon season if it, but I rarely get I more than 10-12hrs a week, limited strength training
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

No food scale is not 1000%. Sorry.

I maintain on that but I weigh more than you. I'm also lazy AF and hate moving.

By diligence I mean I log every single thing I eat 100% of the time.

if your logging is off by 25% because no food scale, then you are just logging everything 100% of the time with a 25% error rate...

get a food scale and start using it..you will probably find that your intake is closer to the 1800 that MFP gives you for maintenance.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Definitely, spend the $15 on a food scale, you will be very surprised. How do you even track things like raw meat without a scale?
  • MrsDan1667
    MrsDan1667 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

I'm 5'3", 147, and slowly recomping on an avg of 2400

You must move more than me.

actually likely not - in fact I was pretty much a slug this weekend - I avg about 11k steps a day

Dang woman! I'm 5'3 (122) on 1200 bc I avg around 3500 steps/day. I feel like I'm moving all day (I stand in my home office. Constantly moving but at most 4-5 steps at a time). Could I really eat upwards of an extra 1000 calories more just by getting an additional 7500 steps/day? That's like practically double what I eat now!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I agree with others. If you are lean, a food scale goes a very long way. Even trained professionals are off as much as 400 calories. Think of what non trained people can be off. So you may think 1500 is what you are eating, but it's probably closer to 2000 calories.

Also, why are you working out 2 hours a day? That is a bit much.
  • GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I agree with others. If you are lean, a food scale goes a very long way. Even trained professionals are off as much as 400 calories. Think of what non trained people can be off. So you may think 1500 is what you are eating, but it's probably closer to 2000 calories.

I enjoy my 2 hours.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I enjoy my 2 hours.

What does your current lifting routine look like? Not sure if you mentioned it
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Yes, and a month isn't very long. Patience, grasshopper.
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking hard about your stats and why you're not losing body fat.

You've been tracking your body fat for a month, depending on if you're tracking daily or weekly or just twice, this might not be enough. Just throwing that out there.

It's obvious that you aren't actually in a calorie deficit. No offense it's just we all try our best and get it almost right, but not quite. The scale does have the final say.

I think more importantly that you're cardio is ruining things for you. At 5'2" and 110 lbs 23%, you've got a slight build. We'll assume the BF scale is correct, they aren't, but we'll assume because that's all we really have and that's ok, they're typically off by 5% or so.

At these stats you've got 25.3 lbs fat and your lean mass is 84.7 lbs. I imagine that you are ok with your weight being 110 lbs and that's great. What it means is that to be 110 lbs and have less BF, you need to gain some muscle. If you want to get to 20%, you'll either be 83 lbs lean mass (just guessin') and 103.8 lbs BW w/ 20.8 lbs fat. I know it's kind of not what you're thinking, but you might be better off to try and gain 3-5 lbs muscle (which will come with 3-5 lbs fat btw, taking you up to 120 lbs, then losing 6-10 lbs by calorie deficit. That should take you to 110 lbs at 20% BF with 88 lbs lean mass and 22 lbs fat. Have a good structured lifting program like Strongcurves. Don't do a tonne of cardio. Cardio is catabolic (eats muscle), a little is fine, good for cardiovascular health and all that, but don't overdo it. Yes, I'm talking about gaining 3-5 lbs of fat so you can lose it again.

I pick bulk :) who'd'a thought?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options

I enjoy my 2 hours.

I dont doubt it. But realize that it may not be helping you, especially if you are only doing hiit and cardio. In the end, your programs drive the results. If you arent getting results, then your program isnt right for you. At that point, either insanity kicks in or you change to drive different results.

So what is your lifting program?
  • GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns
    Options

I enjoy my 2 hours.

I dont doubt it. But realize that it may not be helping you, especially if you are only doing hiit and cardio. In the end, your programs drive the results. If you arent getting results, then your program isnt right for you. At that point, either insanity kicks in or you change to drive different results.

I don't have a program I follow. I will go lift on the gym floor and do arms/chest and then do an hour HIIT strength class. Another day I will do legs on the floor and then do a kickboxing class. I do les mills classes a lot as well. I want to try crossfit.....kinda all over the place.
    I am happy with my weight now (I was 99lbs at one point and struggled with eating problems) but since I started at my gym (05/16) I have put on those 11lbs and eat WAY healthier. My only issue is with body fat percentage and just need advice on the best way to lower it.
  • GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    I've been thinking hard about your stats and why you're not losing body fat.

You've been tracking your body fat for a month, depending on if you're tracking daily or weekly or just twice, this might not be enough. Just throwing that out there.

It's obvious that you aren't actually in a calorie deficit. No offense it's just we all try our best and get it almost right, but not quite. The scale does have the final say.

I think more importantly that you're cardio is ruining things for you. At 5'2" and 110 lbs 23%, you've got a slight build. We'll assume the BF scale is correct, they aren't, but we'll assume because that's all we really have and that's ok, they're typically off by 5% or so.

At these stats you've got 25.3 lbs fat and your lean mass is 84.7 lbs. I imagine that you are ok with your weight being 110 lbs and that's great. What it means is that to be 110 lbs and have less BF, you need to gain some muscle. If you want to get to 20%, you'll either be 83 lbs lean mass (just guessin') and 103.8 lbs BW w/ 20.8 lbs fat. I know it's kind of not what you're thinking, but you might be better off to try and gain 3-5 lbs muscle (which will come with 3-5 lbs fat btw, taking you up to 120 lbs, then losing 6-10 lbs by calorie deficit. That should take you to 110 lbs at 20% BF with 88 lbs lean mass and 22 lbs fat. Have a good structured lifting program like Strongcurves. Don't do a tonne of cardio. Cardio is catabolic (eats muscle), a little is fine, good for cardiovascular health and all that, but don't overdo it. Yes, I'm talking about gaining 3-5 lbs of fat so you can lose it again.

I pick bulk :) who'd'a thought?

Thank you! This makes a lot of sense to me!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I enjoy my 2 hours.

I don't have a program I follow. I will go lift on the gym floor and do arms/chest and then do an hour HIIT strength class. Another day I will do legs on the floor and then do a kickboxing class. I do les mills classes a lot as well. I want to try crossfit.....kinda all over the place.
    I am happy with my weight now (I was 99lbs at one point and struggled with eating problems) but since I started at my gym (05/16) I have put on those 11lbs and eat WAY healthier. My only issue is with body fat percentage and just need advice on the best way to lower it.

Get on a structured lifting program... build muscle...Either Recomp or Bulk/Cut.
  • GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns
    Options
    Definitely, spend the $15 on a food scale, you will be very surprised. How do you even track things like raw meat without a scale?

I buy premeasured chicken breast, you know the individual breast filets? Those things. I don't really eat any other meat. I will very occasionally have an angus burger (on a "cheat" day)