Losing body fat - females

Options

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Definitely, spend the $15 on a food scale, you will be very surprised. How do you even track things like raw meat without a scale?

I buy premeasured chicken breast, you know the individual breast filets? Those things. I don't really eat any other meat. I will very occasionally have an angus burger (on a "cheat" day)

They still aren't guaranteed to be the weight it says on the box.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Definitely, spend the $15 on a food scale, you will be very surprised. How do you even track things like raw meat without a scale?

I buy premeasured chicken breast, you know the individual breast filets? Those things. I don't really eat any other meat. I will very occasionally have an angus burger (on a "cheat" day)

In fact, they vary wildly. from what it says on the box.

The Angus patties I use tend to be much closer.. Probably because they're formed meat vs whole.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I agree with others. If you are lean, a food scale goes a very long way. Even trained professionals are off as much as 400 calories. Think of what non trained people can be off. So you may think 1500 is what you are eating, but it's probably closer to 2000 calories.

Also, why are you working out 2 hours a day? That is a bit much.

I enjoy my 2 hours.

I dont doubt it. But realize that it may not be helping you, especially if you are only doing hiit and cardio. In the end, your programs drive the results. If you arent getting results, then your program isnt right for you. At that point, either insanity kicks in or you change to drive different results.

So what is your lifting program?

I don't have a program I follow. I will go lift on the gym floor and do arms/chest and then do an hour HIIT strength class. Another day I will do legs on the floor and then do a kickboxing class. I do les mills classes a lot as well. I want to try crossfit.....kinda all over the place.
    I am happy with my weight now (I was 99lbs at one point and struggled with eating problems) but since I started at my gym (05/16) I have put on those 11lbs and eat WAY healthier. My only issue is with body fat percentage and just need advice on the best way to lower it.

Kind of all over the place is the biggest reason people don't get the ideal body they want. Get a structured program, like found in the link below. Balance that with some HIIT/Tabata/Cardio and call it a day. And either recomp or do a slow cut. But lifting will provide you real body change.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns
    Options

The Angus patties I use tend to be much closer.. Probably because they're formed meat vs whole.

I'm sure all meat varies in weight from what the package actually says. Just saying how I figure about how much my chicken weighs.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

I'm sure all meat varies in weight from what the package actually says. Just saying how I figure about how much my chicken weighs.

You should weigh them for a week.

The results will disturb you
  • psuLemon
    Options

Packaging can be off by 20% to comply with standards.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I do think it would be good to consult a professional and get the skinfold calipers done rather than trusting that scale. You may have less fat than you think to begin with, but by all means work on your muscles. :)
  • GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns
    Options

You should weigh them for a week.

The results will disturb you

I will. I ordered a food scale on Amazon.
  • GirlsJustWannaHaveGuns
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I do think it would be good to consult a professional and get the skinfold calipers done rather than trusting that scale. You may have less fat than you think to begin with, but by all means work on your muscles. :)

How accurate is the skinfold caliper test if you have excess skin (not fat, skin!)? I have a medical issue that causes this.

• sinead29
    sinead29 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    • Try switching to 40% fat, 45% protein, 15% carbs/sugar and lowering your calories by about 100 a day. That seems to assist with fat loss while maintaining muscle.
    • Your carbs/sugar need to be very low to burn the bad fat and you do need the extra healthy fat to give you energy and keep you satiated while you "cut". I like salted peanut butter, coconut oil, and plain butter for this.
    • I agree that weighing your food as opposed to measuring it is much more accurate and you *are* eating more than you think you are.
    • Measure it and then weigh it and you will see that you are easily eating more than you think you are.
    • Also, try to do this 1 week on and 1 week off (go back to your other way of eating to see if you feel any different).

Let us know how it works out.

15% carbs- thats evil :-D
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    sinead29 wrote: »
    • Try switching to 40% fat, 45% protein, 15% carbs/sugar and lowering your calories by about 100 a day. That seems to assist with fat loss while maintaining muscle.
    • Your carbs/sugar need to be very low to burn the bad fat and you do need the extra healthy fat to give you energy and keep you satiated while you "cut". I like salted peanut butter, coconut oil, and plain butter for this.
    • I agree that weighing your food as opposed to measuring it is much more accurate and you *are* eating more than you think you are.
    • Measure it and then weigh it and you will see that you are easily eating more than you think you are.
    • Also, try to do this 1 week on and 1 week off (go back to your other way of eating to see if you feel any different).

Right?!? I'd freak.
  • psuLemon
    Options

You 100% absolutely do not need to cut carbs and sugar down to burn the bad fat... In fact, the healthiest places in the world are 70% carb. You cut body fat by reducing calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

no you dont have to cut carbs and sugar, and that will not help fat loss or maintain muscle. to maintain muscle you need to eat enough protein and do a resistance or weight training program,cutting carbs is not going to do anything for fat or muscle. I eat a lot of carbs sometimes 300g a day and guess what? Im still losing fat its because Im in a deficit.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    sinead29 wrote: »

Right?!? I'd freak.

id starve on 15% carbs,I would want to eat all the carbs in the house
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't suggest doing resistance training and cardio on the same days if you want to lose fat (Source; Eklund 2016)

http://suppversity.blogspot.ca/2016/08/study-quantifies-disadvantage-of-doing.html

"Fat mass decreased in all regions in the Different Day-groups, while significant changes in Endurance+Strength and Strength+Endurance were not found during the training intervention; furthermore, in women, the difference achieved statistical significance with Different Day women losing significantly more total body fat than those in the Endurance(then)Strength and Strength(then)Endurance groups " - (edited for clarity removing abbreviated terms)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I really wouldn't suggest doing resistance training and cardio on the same days if you want to lose fat (Source; Eklund 2016)

http://suppversity.blogspot.ca/2016/08/study-quantifies-disadvantage-of-doing.html

"Fat mass decreased in all regions in the Different Day-groups, while significant changes in Endurance+Strength and Strength+Endurance were not found during the training intervention; furthermore, in women, the difference achieved statistical significance with Different Day women losing significantly more total body fat than those in the Endurance(then)Strength and Strength(then)Endurance groups " - (edited for clarity removing abbreviated terms)
    fat is lost in a deficit so it doesnt matter if you weight train and do cardio on the same day from what Ive read and researched. fat is mostly burned at rest anyway.
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

fat is lost in a deficit so it doesnt matter if you weight train and do cardio on the same day from what Ive read and researched. fat is mostly burned at rest anyway.

Please reread the research and where it says "significantly more". Their energy inputs were the same, so the results are not diet related.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    edited June 2017
    Options

Please reread the research and where it says "significantly more". Their energy inputs were the same, so the results are not diet related.

what is "significantly more"? how much more? more calories may be burned yes, fat is lost with diet. you cannot out exercise a bad diet.if you are eating more than you burn you wont lose fat.simple science.
  • lilolilo920
    lilolilo920 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

The issue I have with this study is the fact that the subjects' food intakes were all self-reported, meaning that any and all of them could be over or underestimating their intake, or even lying about it to make themselves look better. Just my $0.02.