Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Do you think parents should teach their kids how to count calories?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• Lyric_Momma
    Lyric_Momma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    There comes an age that it might become appropriate, but young children NO!
    My son is 3. He lives off of pizza and PB&J. Luckliy he loves fruit, but veggies are a struggle. He's 3... I'm letting him be a kid, but I will be teaching him healthy habits. He knows apples are healthy because they come from trees. As his mom I am responsible for making sure he gets proper nutrition. Sure I let him have junk food, but his "candy pops" are really yogurt that I have frozen. His pizza has scrambled eggs hidden under the cheese.

?? As his mom, it's also important to teach him the *correct* reason why some foods are more nutritious than others.

You missed the part where I said he is only three!
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Oh definitely yes. Not too young though, because I can see how introducing it too early might exacerbate unhealthy relationships with food.

My dad explained it all to me around age 11. Knowledge is power. I know a few adults that haven't a clue how calories work. Not surprisingly, they all struggle with obesity.
  • champagnemoni
    champagnemoni Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. It is good for kids to know what is in their food and make healthy life choices, but I don't expect them to actually do it. Why should a 10 yr old have to measure their food? Let them be kids and eat. All this will do is make them develop an eating disorder. Young girls have a hard enough time as it is with social media this will only make it worse.