Replies

• Secondhalf35
    Secondhalf35 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My skin has improved. A lot of the dryness has gone
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I went to 90% plant-based on March. 100% vegetarian. Still eat eggs, cheese and yogurt. It's been life changing in a very good way. If it's plants, I eat as I want without weighing or measuring. unlike a teeny 3oz serving of chicken, I eat copious amounts of food and get full.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    I went to 90% plant-based on March. 100% vegetarian. Still eat eggs, cheese and yogurt. It's been life changing in a very good way. If it's plants, I eat as I want without weighing or measuring. unlike a teeny 3oz serving of chicken, I eat copious amounts of food and get full.

Do you still weigh nuts and seeds and then things like dried fruit? Yesterday I was snacking on some dried apricots and didn't check the nutrition label til afterwards-I ate 400 calories worth :p This afternoon I had some mixed nuts and some dried blueberries and afterwards realized how high in calories it was, ouch. I'm in maintenance so I'm not trying to lose weight but I'm nervous that I may actually start gaining due to all the lovely, calorie dense foods I'm now eating!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Do you still weigh nuts and seeds and then things like dried fruit? Yesterday I was snacking on some dried apricots and didn't check the nutrition label til afterwards-I ate 400 calories worth :p This afternoon I had some mixed nuts and some dried blueberries and afterwards realized how high in calories it was, ouch. I'm in maintenance so I'm not trying to lose weight but I'm nervous that I may actually start gaining due to all the lovely, calorie dense foods I'm now eating!

I would very strongly recommend weighing them, at least at first until you get an idea of what an acceptable portion looks like. I go 100% plant based twice a year for about 2 months each and I gain if I'm not careful even with all the other restrictions (some days are raw foods and oil-free). Nuts are my downfall.

I don't experience improved skin/energy/digestion...etc. I just feel normal, no difference at all. I'm dying for dairy by the end of it, but other than that no positive or negative changes.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options

The vast majority of studies around meat are correlation studies and they typically ignore other aspects of diet and overall lifestyle. One can eat quite healthfully eating meat...the problem with the SAD is that it includes a lot of meat and very little veg and fruit...it's a *kitten* diet and that's what most of the correlation studies are looking at, but just saying it's the meat.[/quote]

Excuse me, but what does the phrase mean "its a *kitten* diet. i keep seeing that around here. (kitten) ???

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    The vast majority of studies around meat are correlation studies and they typically ignore other aspects of diet and overall lifestyle. One can eat quite healthfully eating meat...the problem with the SAD is that it includes a lot of meat and very little veg and fruit...it's a *kitten* diet and that's what most of the correlation studies are looking at, but just saying it's the meat.

Excuse me, but what does the phrase mean "its a *kitten* diet. i keep seeing that around here. (kitten) ???

[/quote]

It's the kitten filter. Any profanity gets changed to kitten.
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    Wtn_Gurl wrote: »
    The vast majority of studies around meat are correlation studies and they typically ignore other aspects of diet and overall lifestyle. One can eat quite healthfully eating meat...the problem with the SAD is that it includes a lot of meat and very little veg and fruit...it's a *kitten* diet and that's what most of the correlation studies are looking at, but just saying it's the meat.

It's the kitten filter. Any profanity gets changed to kitten. [/quote]

ah thank you!

• Secondhalf35
    Options
    I didn't weigh for two days as was that busy so I probably burned most of it off. I will track and weigh today
  • Secondhalf35
    Options
    Hummus on rice cakes. The best. In moderation unfortunately lol
  • Secondhalf35
    Options
    Sorry fellas in advance. My monthly visit from mother nature feels much more mellow since increasing plant foods and cutting out dairy
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Has anyone switched to a plant based diet and found switch ok. I've heard so many positive reports

Totally.... I'm into my second year and feel great. I have no problem with getting enough protein. I never feel bloated or heavy as I did when I ate meat. I'm healthy my health screening proves it - I have the stats and I find it easy to maintain my weight. I lost the majority of my weight (nearly 30 lbs) whilst transitioning but give it a try. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Or you could do what I did to get started, cook one vegetarian meal a week. You'll soon add another. Good luck :)
  • Secondhalf35
    Options
    Thank you, sounds really positive. It is definitely helping things out
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Has anyone switched to a plant based diet and found switch ok. I've heard so many positive reports

Totally.... I'm into my second year and feel great. I have no problem with getting enough protein. I never feel bloated or heavy as I did when I ate meat. I'm healthy my health screening proves it - I have the stats and I find it easy to maintain my weight. I lost the majority of my weight (nearly 30 lbs) whilst transitioning but give it a try. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Or you could do what I did to get started, cook one vegetarian meal a week. You'll soon add another. Good luck :)

I'm having the opposite happen-now that I eat a mostly plant based diet I'm always bloated/feel heavy, due to all the beans and veggies I'm eating. It bothers me a bit since I used to have a flat stomach but now I always look like I'm pregnant :p
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options

Yes. It works fine as long as you get B12 and keep track of your complete protein goals. Neither of which is hard to do.
  • Secondhalf35
    Options
    For sure. I take a vegan multi vit which contains b12. I do think I need to find nice vegan protein shake to help keep levels topped up. I track food at min
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I'm having the opposite happen-now that I eat a mostly plant based diet I'm always bloated/feel heavy, due to all the beans and veggies I'm eating. It bothers me a bit since I used to have a flat stomach but now I always look like I'm pregnant :p

Oh that sounds awful, now you mention it I did have a period when I felt like that too. I soon figured out that was because my diet solely consisted of beans. Seems the body can only take so many. Anyways I varied my diet to incorporate other recipes and lo and behold no more of that awfulness. Good luck to you too @OliveGirl128 :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

My plant based meals typically have more calories than a lean protein meal...beans are pretty calorie dense...lentils are pretty calorie dense...grains and potatoes are pretty calorie dense...seeds and nuts are pretty calorie desne...chicken? fish? Not really...
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

My plant based meals typically have more calories than a lean protein meal...beans are pretty calorie dense...lentils are pretty calorie dense...grains and potatoes are pretty calorie dense...seeds and nuts are pretty calorie desne...chicken? fish? Not really...

You might want to check your math. Especially with beans and lentils.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You might want to check your math. Especially with beans and lentils.

Probably has to do with the amount needed to satisfy hunger. Some people feel full on smaller portions eating concentrated protein sources. I do agree that some plant based dishes can be calorie bombs. There is this hummus dish that I like but haven't eaten in years because of how calorie dense it is, and this roasted pepper and walnut dip that I would rather not touch. Some plant dishes really love fat.

I don't understand how people claim a plant based diet is easy on the calories. Where there is butter there is oil, where there is fatty cuts of meat there are dishes with nuts, where there is full fat milk there is coconut milk, where there is alfredo sauce there is peanut sauce...etc. Both animal and plant sources can be battered, fried, drowned in fat, accompanied by a calorific sauce and so on and so forth.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how people claim a plant based diet is easy on the calories. Where there is butter there is oil, where there is fatty cuts of meat there are dishes with nuts, where there is full fat milk there is coconut milk, where there is alfredo sauce there is peanut sauce...etc. Both animal and plant sources can be battered, fried, drowned in fat, accompanied by a calorific sauce and so on and so forth.

I think it's cutting out things you were used to relying on or which were temptations that are high cal and not immediately having a replacement. I suspect this changes for many people over time. I went 100% plant based for Lent once (I know that's commonplace for you) and for me I lost weight without trying since a lot of my calories when vegetarian tend to be from dairy. Cut that out, and limit my choices by excluding dairy and eggs, and I lose most of my more tempting indulgences (I can come up with alternatives, but it's less likely to be an easy impulse). I also find starch + veg (but no dairy) harder to overeat on than starch + veg + meat. (Once I include dairy, it's different -- I've eaten vegetarian enough and it's not much of a change for me, so unlike with 100% plant based, with vegetarian I tend to eat MORE calories than if I'm eating meat.)

Ironically, all of this about calories easily going down without trying is identically true, for me, when low carbing, and similarly I think it changes over time as you get used to the changes.

Another thing is that you CAN find ways to eat excess calories, of course, but if you are doing it in part to lose weight, you are less likely to look for the ways to do so, and will probably eat more simply and austerely, at least at first (which perhaps makes it harder to keep up over time for many people).

It further biases the comparison, of course, when people do these special WFPB diets like Fuhrman, which is really anti some of the obvious PB sources of calories, like added oils, and prepackaged things, and even nuts and seeds in more than rather small amounts.