Done with FitBit--alternatives?

Replies

• Kollane
    Kollane Posts: 45 Member
    Check out Polar too! I have no idea why they're not as popular in the States as they are here (Europe), since they're great.

I love my M400. A360 is the smaller than m-line, A370 newer than A360 with better sleep tracking etc, both have HR from wrist. Also, new M430 with wrist HR (M400 needs strap). And then there's also M200 (wrist HR).

Polar has multisport capabilities and all are waterproof, though not all of them can read HR in water. M-line also has GPS, A360 doesn't, A370 gets it from phone.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I know you said you're done with FitBit - I've had them all and had problems with them all.

But, I have the Blaze now and I love it. Replaceable band and six months in with no battery issues.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    i have this one (230 that i pair with a seperate garmin HR strap). It does everything i need and more, including smart notification which i didn't think i'd want (but like). It also looks like a watch, not a "calorie counter" which IMO can look cheap and plasticey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGUhsao9mPA

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm on my third Charge HR and now it's battery won't hold a charge for over 8 hrs. Average lifespan has been 6 mo before they broke (other two had the plastic thing that holds the charger cable on rip off). I'm done. I like the product when it works, but I'm tired of the high death toll.

Anyone have another tracker they love? I would like HR, gps would be nice, and must sync well with MFP of course. My main activities are lifting, walking/general cardio, occasionally biking. I'd prefer something under $200-250. Reading online reviews is just making me nuts. Thanks!

I have a Garmin Vivofit2. Over a year old and haven't needed to change the batteries yet AND I can swim with it on.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited June 2017
    Garmin all the way for me since my 2 Charge HR's were a bust. I have the Forerunner 35 watch. Bought it last September and I absolutely love it. It's also waterproof so I don't have to worry about that anymore and the battery doesn't need to be recharged nearly as often as my Fitbit. Lots of bells and whistles on the phone app and great information including HR, steps, sleep, active minutes, different sports, etc, etc. Cost around $200.

Edited to add that it does sync well with MFP although it sometimes gives me more calories burned than I deserve.....LOL
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    i have this one (230 that i pair with a seperate garmin HR strap). It does everything i need and more, including smart notification which i didn't think i'd want (but like). It also looks like a watch, not a "calorie counter" which IMO can look cheap and plasticey.

@rainbowbow does it have multisport/downloadable apps. And yes I'm being lazy asking you instead of looking it up!
  • rainbowbow

@rainbowbow does it have multisport/downloadable apps. And yes I'm being lazy asking you instead of looking it up!

Has multi sport, does have downloadable new watch faces not sure about which apps you're looking for but it connects to garmin's app.

It tracks steps all day, sleep metrics, has smart notifications and phone call from your phone via Bluetooth, has weather information, and more.

Not sure what you're really looking for.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    gerla_k wrote: »
    Now I'm curious, I see lots of people complaining about their Fitbit dying. Mine is relatively new( 2 months). Should I return and get another one ( Garmin) I still have 2 weeks left for my refund policy.

Which Fitbit do you have?

I have charge 2. After reading all of this I really think I should return it while I can

FitBit has a great app and community compared to all the others, but yeah people do go through a lot of devices. But guess what? Doesn't matter; theyre dirt cheap on sale and customer service is one of the best out there. I've had 2 replacements in 6 years, longgg after my warranty and they replaced it no questions asked. Heck, me and my friends even told them we had a Fitbit Blaze that stopped working after a month and they replaced it without a receipt or without making us ship ours to them. By the way, we never actually owned a FitBit Blaze; we were just poor, selfish jerks looking for free stuff, and it worked. YOLO!

We're talking about $150 devices that replicate the functionality of free apps.
  • VintageFeline

Has multi sport, does have downloadable new watch faces not sure about which apps you're looking for but it connects to garmin's app.

It tracks steps all day, sleep metrics, has smart notifications and phone call from your phone via Bluetooth, has weather information, and more.

Just basically looking for similar functionality to my Vivoactive, primary replacement I was considering was the Vivoactive HR but it's a bit bulky and ugly. So another less ugly option is nice to look at, even just for comparisons sake.
  • rainbowbow
    edited June 2017

Just basically looking for similar functionality to my Vivoactive, primary replacement I was considering was the Vivoactive HR but it's a bit bulky and ugly. So another less ugly option is nice to look at, even just for comparisons sake.

Yeah, TBH I thought the others looked ugly too that's why I went with this one.

I did try the Fenix which, In my opinion, is one of the most elegant looking fitness watches, but I found that it's too big on my wrist and looks like a mans watch. My boyfriend went with that one and I saved lots of money by going with the forerunner so it all worked out. ;)
  • VintageFeline

Yeah, TBH I thought the others looked ugly too that's why I went with this one.

I did try the Fenix which, In my opinion, is one of the most elegant looking fitness watches, but I found that it's too big on my wrist and looks like a mans watch. My boyfriend went with that one and I saved lots of money by going with the forerunner so it all worked out. ;)

The Fenix isn't in my price range but the rose gold trim one is rather nice but like you, I rather suspect it would be huge on my wrist, the Vivoactive is hardly discreet as it is!

Depending on what my budget ends up being it will be VA or Forerunner, with the Forerunner probably the preference at this point.
  • NorthCascades
    I would go with a FR over a VA.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I would go with a FR over a VA.

I'd agree with that. The VAHR is an entry level device, with all the compromises that brings.

Personally I use a ForeRunner 735XT, but broadly the form factor of everything from 230 upwards is about the same.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2017
    Now I'm curious, I see lots of people complaining about their Fitbit dying. Mine is relatively new( 2 months). Should I return and get another one ( Garmin) I still have 2 weeks left for my refund policy.

I have charge 2. After reading all of this I really think I should return it while I can

FitBit has a great app and community compared to all the others, but yeah people do go through a lot of devices. But guess what? Doesn't matter; theyre dirt cheap on sale and customer service is one of the best out there. I've had 2 replacements in 6 years, longgg after my warranty and they replaced it no questions asked. Heck, me and my friends even told them we had a Fitbit Blaze that stopped working after a month and they replaced it without a receipt or without making us ship ours to them. By the way, we never actually owned a FitBit Blaze; we were just poor, selfish jerks looking for free stuff, and it worked. YOLO!

Except that you don't have to carry around a honking huge phone 24/7 when you have a slim wristband instead. (also the $150 ones have the semi-useless HRM. Most without are less than $100)
  • anjeden
    anjeden Posts: 15 Member
    hist_doc wrote: »
    I recently got rid of my fitbit charge HR because I had to replace three of them.
    I also wanted a fitness watch that looked like a watch and not a clunky piece of rubber on my wrist. I purchased a Withings (now Nokia) Steel HR. I'm still getting used to the app (and they recently changed it because they were purchased by Nokia just after I bought mine), but all in all, it's a decent fitness tracker and is compatible with myfitnesspal. It doesn't have gps, but I never had a tracker with gps so I wouldn't know the difference.

Edited to add: the battery life is exceptional--it lasts about a month and charges to 100% in under 30 minutes.

This is great for general fitness! I like mine and it looks quite nice too.

• NorthCascades
    earlnabby wrote: »

Except that you don't have to carry around a honking huge phone 24/7 when you have a slim wristband instead. (also the $150 ones have the semi-useless HRM. Most without are less than $100)

Sure, there are two different things going on though:

It's convenient to be able to set your phone down and still track your movement and calories. Especially for runners! That convenience has value, a lot of people are willing to pay for it.

You can get the same functionality from free apps running on a $30 prepaid phone. (You can even take your HR using the camera.). To me, that suggests these devices are wildly overpriced. I mean, the hardware and software don't justify a fraction of the price these things go for.

Whether it's a good or a bad value is a matter of opinion. That's how I look at it.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

Don't forget they also don't use data... or rely on G3/G4....

unlike the free apps
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Right now I'm using a gear fit 2 after two fitbits that wouldn't hold a charge as soon as the warranty period ended. It has some nice features including being able to change the watch face.
  • NorthCascades

unlike the free apps

But the apps don't have gaudy bands, and display in a screen that isn't terrible. We were talking about what it must cost to build one given the price of the components, versus the cost they sell for.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member

unlike the free apps

But the apps don't have gaudy bands, and display in a screen that isn't terrible. We were talking about what it must cost to build one given the price of the components, versus the cost they sell for.

HUH??? what are you talking about... There's nothing gaudy about the band on my Vivoactive and nothing terrible about the screen.