Done with FitBit--alternatives?

I'm on my third Charge HR and now it's battery won't hold a charge for over 8 hrs. Average lifespan has been 6 mo before they broke (other two had the plastic thing that holds the charger cable on rip off). I'm done. I like the product when it works, but I'm tired of the high death toll.

Anyone have another tracker they love? I would like HR, gps would be nice, and must sync well with MFP of course. My main activities are lifting, walking/general cardio, occasionally biking. I'd prefer something under $200-250. Reading online reviews is just making me nuts. Thanks!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Garmin has some good trackers. I'm a Fitbit user, but did try a few others including Garmin. I wasn't happy with the app, but that was in 2013/2014 and I am sure the issues I had have been fixed at this point.
  • cameronheel
    cameronheel Posts: 191 Member
    I've got the Garmin Vivoactive HR. Had it for about 2 months and love it. It has built in GPS, HR monitoring, and it should handle all the activities you listed. I usually use it for running, walking or cycling. One other bonus is it is waterproof, so if you ever take up swimming it will cover that also.

Size wise it is somewhat larger than the Fitbit charge HR, but if I am wearing a a dress shirt, the sleeves cover the watch easily.

I believe you can usually get one for under 200 if you shop around.
  • jpearson1289
    jpearson1289 Posts: 26 Member
    I loved my Jawbone Up, but kept killing them, I also went with Garmin because it was water proof & am loving it, I'm 5 months in, no real issues battery still lasts a week, even seems to be baby proof
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    I have a garmin vivosmart hr and love it. It works well with mfp.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Same thing here with fitbits. Now use phone with Google fit. Good enough.
  • senor_jeff
    senor_jeff Posts: 47 Member
    I bought a fitbit and returned it the next day. The flicking your wrist constantly to see the display was just too annoying. I exchanged it for a Garmin Vivoactive HR. Apart from its looks, its a great tracker. Accurate GPS including altitude, HR monitoring. Even works on a treadmill, swimming (Its waterproof) and with gym machines.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    edited June 2017
    I recently got rid of my fitbit charge HR because I had to replace three of them.
    I also wanted a fitness watch that looked like a watch and not a clunky piece of rubber on my wrist. I purchased a Withings (now Nokia) Steel HR. I'm still getting used to the app (and they recently changed it because they were purchased by Nokia just after I bought mine), but all in all, it's a decent fitness tracker and is compatible with myfitnesspal. It doesn't have gps, but I never had a tracker with gps so I wouldn't know the difference.

Edited to add: the battery life is exceptional--it lasts about a month and charges to 100% in under 30 minutes.
  • cecekay19
    cecekay19 Posts: 89 Member
    I got a Charge HR as a gift and it's holding up so far, but I'm most curious about the Motiv ring. It's in pre-order right now and is only compatible with Apple, but I will take a look at it once it comes out and is compatible with Android. But this product is the one I am most curious about because it's unobtrusive since it's not worn on the wrist, waterproof, and can hold charge for 5 days, supposedly. http://mymotiv.com
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    I have a Fitbit Alta HR (it's meh) and wish I'd have gotten a Samsung Gear 3 Classic. Especially if you have a Samsung Phone or Tablet already running S Health.

And in case you're interested, buying a gear 3 comes with free premium on ALL Under Armour apps now (including MFP). Ugh.... I should have gotten that instead.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Thanks, everyone. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with crummy Fitbit luck! I do like their app, so I will miss that.
  • Rufftimes
    Rufftimes Posts: 349 Member
    I have the gear fit 2, love it
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    edited June 2017
    I really like my Garmin VivoSmart HR+ - I've found it to be pretty accurate with everything it records, and my losses correspond to the calories it estimates I burn in a day.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    LG Sport Watch
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    I'm another Garmin user. Started with entry level Vivofit and now have the original Vivoactive. Had that 18 months and think I will upgrade to the HR when I can afford to. It's always been pretty accurate for me and being totally waterproof (and apparently lifeproof!) I can't recommend enough.

They aren't always the prettiest but I'll forgive that for the quality of the products.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    I have a Fitbit One which I like for the step counting and the fact I can just bung it in a pocket and forget about it. So much so, it went for an unexpected spin in the washing machine the other week which didn't do it a lot of good.

But that's OK because I wear a Garmin Forerunner 25. Entry level fitness watch aimed mainly at runners and costs $139. The Forerunner 35 (I've seen it at $169, but it usually costs $199) is sleeker (looks more like an Apple watch) has a few more bells and whistles and has a built in HR.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/08/garmin-forerunner-25.html

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/hands-on-garmins-new-forerunner-35-with-optical-hr.html
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Now I'm curious, I see lots of people complaining about their Fitbit dying. Mine is relatively new( 2 months). Should I return and get another one ( Garmin) I still have 2 weeks left for my refund policy.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    gerla_k wrote: »
    Now I'm curious, I see lots of people complaining about their Fitbit dying. Mine is relatively new( 2 months). Should I return and get another one ( Garmin) I still have 2 weeks left for my refund policy.

Which Fitbit do you have?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I love my Garmin (Fenix 5X).
  • Nussbary
    Nussbary Posts: 34 Member
    SarzJWix wrote: »
    Love my Garmin Vivofit. The battery has lasted for nearly 2 years now, no problems. It does sync with MFP as well, and WW app. And it's way cheaper than Fitbit...

Garmin is the best option out there. You can simply wear it, and there are several design options. But it also syncs with MFP for calorie tracking, has great report read outs, and outdoor GPS is excellent with your runs and other activities. I have an older 310XT and a vivosmart HR I wear every day. If you are hardcore working out, get one that is NOT touch screen as sweat will prevent you from changing screens during your activity.