How do you fight Snack attacks?

So I'm about 27 days into my diet, I started off really strong but the past three or four days I've been finding myself wanting sweet and snacks! I thought OK give yourself a little bit to cut the cravings but it seems like it just made me want more and now I find myself fighting the cravings every day. I just had a cookie for lunch :( Any tips would be most appreciate it.

Replies

• vi2nie
    vi2nie Posts: 28 Member
    Ahhh I hate those snack cravings. For me I just try to drink allot of water but when that doesn't help try going the fruit vegetable way an apple or banana I like celery sticks.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Drinking lots of water helps me hold off urges to snack if I'm not actually hungry and just wanting to munch because I'm bored, stressed, etc. I love non-sweet sparkling water (like La Croix)- since it's yummy it almost passes for a snack. Gum and mints help with the urge to snack when I'm not truly hungry as well.

If I'm actually hungry, I'll go ahead and have a snack- what I choose depends on how many calories I have left for the day and whether or not I want to save calories for something else later in the day (such as a glass of wine). Sometimes I have a piece of fruit, some veggies, string cheese, trail mix, or a piece of dark chocolate. I also like to have a box of small, individually-packaged sweets on hand (100-cal dark chocolate bars, mini ice cream cones, etc.) Having a sweet treat to look forward to at the end of the day helps me avoid the urges throughout the day, because I know that I have that sweet treat waiting for me. And having them individually packaged helps prevent me from over-eating.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,517 Member
    There's no one answer.

A big help to me was a planned frozen treat. I've tried them all. I can generally get a satisfying portion of something in the 100-120 cal range.

But here's the deal I made with myself. Any other treats, no ice cream.

I picked frozen treats because it seems like I can get a manageable portion that is also satisfying. Also it takes longer to eat. For quite a while I was into Weight Watcher fudge bars. But I would knock them off the fork and eat them with a spoon because I ate slower that way. I also experimented with plastic spoons to slow me down.

I also found planning fruit for snacks twice a day helped fight my sweet tooth.

Cookies- I think cookies are a specific problem. I'm not tempted by cake or pie or donuts. But cookies- they can look so small and harmless. But I can no more eat one cookie ( unless it's one of those giants) than I can eat one potato chip. I can knock off 300 cals in the blink of an eye. Usually 300+. I just try to avoid them.

Candy- I decided most candy I see around is just lousy kid candy. If I really want candy I have to go out and get something reall good. Probably imported from Europe. I've done it. But it's got to be special.

Hope something here helps.
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    edited June 2017
    OMG I read this as shark attacks and came in looking for some good advice.

Since its sNack I can say that not buying it and having it in the house is best but if you have to or bought snacky things by mistake (I hate when that happens) if I feel like a snack I'll usually have something fizzy or maybe occupy my time doing something else. not really much help
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    I embrace the snack.

For some people it doesn't work. But for me, 150-300 calories about 2-3 hours into my morning and 2-3 hours into my afternoon keeps me on track, focused, and not having cravings.

And for me that *can* mean chocolate sweet yummy treats. I happen to like a variety of protein bars, which often come in really delicious flavors. A White Chocolate Macadama Cliff bar is one of my favorites, and it tastes really good. But it offers more nutrition for my body than a cookie, keeps me going, and keeps me from eating a crappy cookie that doesn't fit so well in my eating plan.

And I don't feel deprived. I feel...well, full and like I ate something I enjoyed and don't have any angst about it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    I wouldn't really call a cookie a snack. It would have to be more like 10 cookies. How about Greek yogurt and a nice bowl of fruit?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I have found sweet snacks that fit my goals. I can't have 1 cookie so like @nowine4me, I'll choose greek yogurt with cocoa powder and stevia. Even if I want one cookie, I'll crumble it up into yogurt to stretch it out. Otherwise I'm going to want so many more.

• Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    I try to keep my cravings back with things that are kind of sweet and filling. I have Oatmeal every morning almost with peanut butter or a banana. The peanut butter is very sweet imo so it satisfies that sweet tooth. I also like to have a protein bar instead of a candy bar because they seem to keep me more full. I guess because the candy bar is mostly sugar.

I don't think I would have made it this far without diet sodas. I love me some artificial sweeteners. And also coffee with a little cream and Splenda is fairly low calorie if you are carful with not to add too much cream. I mostly drink coffee black though because I enjoy the taste and it seems to be a wonderful appetite suppressant for me. Although some people say it causes them to be hungrier.

Everyone is going to have different tactics. You just have to keep trying until you find something that works for you. I see a lot of folks claiming that fats and protein keep them full for longer, but I usually have better results with complex carbs.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,414 Member
    I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread. Great suggestions. I struggle with the same thing, but my cravings hit at 8:00 every night about 45 minutes after I take my evening dose of medications. I'm going to try some of these suggestions. :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    I'm so glad I stumbled onto this thread. Great suggestions. I struggle with the same thing, but my cravings hit at 8:00 every night about 45 minutes after I take my evening dose of medications. I'm going to try some of these suggestions. :)

I save calories for something at 9:30 every night. I cannot stop at dinner.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Oh yeah I saw someone above mention fruit. I eat a lot of fruit too when I want something sweet. Lots of watermelon and berries.

Another thing I like to do is drink a glass of water right before eating something sweet and right after. It makes a half cup of ice cream seem feel like a half gallon.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    I've got more a salt tooth than a sweet one, but I do eat a measured portion of sweet-ish (not sugar-coated) dry cereal at least once a day. In this case, Quaker Corn Squares. I got it to help my iron intake, but it's sweet and crunchy. And I usually try to make sure I've got room for it late at night. Salty snacks include popcorn, string cheese, and veggie dogs.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Check how much protein and fat you consumed before your snack attack today. If protein and fat are low and carbs are high, you're more likely to get cravings. That's not true for everyone, but it might be worthwhile for you to pay attention to what your macros were before you "needed" that snack.
  • MarvinsAMartian
    MarvinsAMartian Posts: 236 Member
    Train Muay Thai.

Just kidding, everyone above has great advice. Just experiment with techniques until you find one that sticks. Theres really no one stop shop answer.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    @lollyolivia First thing might be to avoid having the snacks available. Don't include them on your shopping list.

Also consider how many calories are in those snacks. Do they push you over your daily calorie goal, or are you still within the limit? If you're slightly over the limit, try to include some additional exercise to compensate for it.
  • lollyolivia
    lollyolivia Posts: 305 Member
    Thank you everyone! Awesome tips! You guys are great :) good luck in your journey.
  • zjpq
    zjpq Posts: 198 Member
    edited June 2017
    I have to not buy things I know I can't control myself with. So... almost everything ;) I cut up carrots etc and put those in the fridge along with a bunch of peeled hard boiled eggs, try to drink more water and only have healthy snacking options in the house. Am really enjoying roasted unsalted almonds with a few chocolate chips right now for when I want something a little 'naughty' and apples!
  • ironjay37
    ironjay37 Posts: 136 Member
    Motts..... they are flavored freeze pops, 3 are 45 calories. Between meals if I really really have to they've helped fill my psychological need. These aren't to be confused with the high calorie freezes, they taste just as good but without the high calories. Just a thought. Hope it helps.
  • dillydaisys
    dillydaisys Posts: 132 Member
    Craving are tough, I don't buy junk food but when I get the craving for something I can magically turn something that was healthy into something unhealthy. I read up a few posts and someone mentioned apple cider and I must say it does work for me but you need a lot of willpower to drink it.