Is it cheating to weigh yourself naked?

Replies

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    This morning I weighed in at 155.0 naked. After reading this thread, I grabbed my sneakers and arrived myself fully clothed ( skinny jeans, t-shirt, bra, panties, socks, shoes). 162.7

Frankly I don't consider over 7.5 lbs of clothing to be inconsequential. And I certainly don't think that the clothes give an accurate portrayal of my mass. Being irritated by doctor weigh - ins, I typically fast all day before an appointment and regardless of the weather wear a very light cotton dress.

Also, the bigger you are, the more your clothes will weigh.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,974 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »
    This morning I weighed in at 155.0 naked. After reading this thread, I grabbed my sneakers and arrived myself fully clothed ( skinny jeans, t-shirt, bra, panties, socks, shoes). 162.7

Frankly I don't consider over 7.5 lbs of clothing to be inconsequential. And I certainly don't think that the clothes give an accurate portrayal of my mass. Being irritated by doctor weigh - ins, I typically fast all day before an appointment and regardless of the weather wear a very light cotton dress.

I would expect people to take their shoes and any outer clothing like coats off at the doctors.
    And to understand that weight is variable anyway - different scales, floor surfaces, time of day etc - all going to vary it by few pounds.
    Fasting all day just to get a lighter weight at that moment seems OTT to me.

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I actually tell the doctor not to tell me my weight if it's in the middle of the day. I go by morning weight without food in my belly and don't really care to experiment often with seeing what it is during the day.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    whineryjnw wrote: »
    I'm not being perverted just being serious and honest. At the doctors the weigh you with shoes and the works on so are you cheating yourselfs by weighing yourself at home naked as opposed to with clothes on at the doctors?

No. At the doctor we take our shoes off. But then I only weigh at the doctor once every two or three years. At home I can weigh every day, so in the interest of consistency I can track and compare the naked weight over time, and ignore the doctor's scale weight altogether.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Weighing yourself naked first thing in the morning (after using the bathroom, before consuming anything) is the most accurate way to weigh yourself if you want to establish a trend or compare your weights on several days. Otherwise all those variables (what you are wearing, what you ate recently) get involved and you don't know how much of a loss/gain is related to what you are wearing.

Exactly.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    edited June 2017

I would expect people to take their shoes and any outer clothing like coats off at the doctors.
    And to understand that weight is variable anyway - different scales, floor surfaces, time of day etc - all going to vary it by few pounds.

Have you ever received an insurance penalty for being over an arbitrary weight? I have. I should also add that my doctor's office does not differentiate between fasting and non-fasting blood sugars. They took blood sugar at 1:00 pm two years ago, I wasn't fasting, but now I'm stuck with "pre-diabetic" on my record because I was at 105 less than an hour after lunch. After that, I won't touch anything with calories with a ten-foot-pole before any exam.
  • edlanglais
    edlanglais Posts: 39 Member
    It's not accuracy but consistency that counts. I don't weigh myself naked, but always in my gym clothes, and always after my morning poo, and always before breakfast.
  • paperpudding

Have you ever received an insurance penalty for being over an arbitrary weight? I have. I should also add that my doctor's office does not differentiate between fasting and non-fasting blood sugars. They took blood sugar at 1:00 pm two years ago, I wasn't fasting, but now I'm stuck with "pre-diabetic" on my record because I was at 105 less than an hour after lunch. After that, I won't touch anything with calories with a ten-foot-pole before any exam.

No I haven't. In fact I haven't ever applied for any insurance that has involved taking my weight.
    I suspect that is an American thing.

But I have weighed a lot of patients - as I said in my first post, working in a medical clinic.

silly of doctors not to differentiate between fasting and non fasting blood sugars - that is another issue, I guess.

• sarahbhurley15
    sarahbhurley15 Posts: 9 Member
    My doctor won't let us take our shoes off to weigh in now. I about had a cow.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    I think they fudge stuff at my dr's office, like I weigh with my clothes on and then they write down a number minus like 3 pounds. And once I saw they did my temperature with the ear thing and it came up 101 and she wrote down 98.6. I was telling the doctor that I constantly have fevers with my lupus and she was like "well you don't have one today".... But they didn't write down what the thermometer said.

I don't see anything wrong with subtracting 3 pounds to account for the weight of clothes, but I have a big problem with them writing down 98.6 when your actual temperature was 101.
  • paperpudding

Why won't he/she let you?

That seems really odd.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member

That seems really odd.

Weight Watchers here in Australia stopped letting people take their shoes off too.
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    No I don't think so, I usually weigh myself in only undergarments
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

That seems really odd.

Weight Watchers here in Australia stopped letting people take their shoes off too.

My doctor stopped me in my tracks when i started taking my shoes off before a weigh in. Maybe they're worried about Fungus or something..

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member

That seems really odd.

My doctor stopped me in my tracks when i started taking my shoes off before a weigh in. Maybe they're worried about Fungus or something..

Quite likely, stuff like Tinea is pretty contagious, and unless they want to disinfect the scale every time it's used, I guess it makes sense.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I weigh myself at the gym in the morning after I eat breakfast. The only reason why I do it after eating is because I see several doctors often. If I don't eat, my blood pressure tends to be so low that staff always recommend sending me to the hospital lol. If I'm going to keep doing weigh ins at the doctor's office, then I am going to weigh myself the same way at the gym. Otherwise, I will drive myself crazy with the fluctuations.
  • paperpudding

That seems really odd.

Ok - still seems odd to me - and as I said, I work in a medical centre and we always get people to take their shoes off to be weighed