Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Do people actually enjoy working out?

Absolutely!! :)

I have loved being active since I was born. :) Being active is great!! Especially being active outside where I can get some sun, and sweat, and enjoy the scenery. :)

OK, admittedly, it did get a bit hot for me last Saturday on our 213 km bicycle ride. I did suffer a bit from heat exhaustion. But even though there was a really difficult portion in that ride, I still look back at it fondly. I did it! It was one of the most challenging 200 km events I've done with the climbing and heat, but I did it. :grin:
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If I had your job and commute I wouldn't want to spend my one hour a day of free time working out either.

May I suggest tabata? It's only eight minutes total but research shows it has effects equal to a much longer workout.

By the way, I hate working out like poison. I have to do it anyway for the sake of my blood glucose control but even when I try to stay positive and pick things I enjoy, I would rather be doing almost anything else. But I do enjoy feeling strong and healthy.
  • BurgerLovinBulker
    BurgerLovinBulker Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love it.....not so long ago, when I had a class schedule consisting of only Tu/Thrs classes, I would often find myself in the gym from 5AM - 8AM, then to my 1st martial arts class....then to my second.....then back in the gym for a midday workout followed by homework and more gym at night.

Basically, I would live at the gym if possible.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I love it! Last week I was injured and missed my boxing class. I was totally off all week without it.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    We do a lot of things we'd rather not because the payoff for them is greater than the annoyance of doing them, or the detriments of not doing them outweigh the annoyance of the task.

I walk every workday and hit the weight room five days a week.

I'm not enamored with walking four to six miles a day, and could take the subway quite literally to work - there's a stop inside the building. But, the walking is good for my mood and my health, so I do that - and it doesn't take a ton longer to get to work walking than by the subway.

About half of the weight training session I "don't feel like it". I do it anyway because I thoroughly enjoy the results of the extra strength and muscle mass - there's no downside to being stronger.
  • jamandcreamscones
    jamandcreamscones Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Easier for me to offer advice seeing as I'm not v good at taking it!
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling of being in the gym (I go to one that has an females-only room so that probably helps a lot) and I love the feeling afterwards. However, I don't like feeling like I "have" to go the gym, and when I do go, I often find that I have to drag myself there. I know this is a mindset (often brought on by feeling stressed over time, even though I probably have more time than most to devote to my exercise).

That said, even something as taking an evening walk with your spouse could be considered as being a workout, even if it's not traditional or a very intense one. Bonus too, you'd get to hang out with your spouse outside of the home and walking tends to calm me down (and if you have such a long commute it might feel great to stretch your legs before bed).

So I think also what you consider to be a workout matters in this.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Not me, but I do it because I have to. Thankfully, I'm always happy once I'm done because I know I can eat more.
  • jbarry1506
    jbarry1506 Posts: 1,512 Member
    Options
    I love all of it. I think it's the results I've gotten addicted to. It's the challenge of being just a little better every day. So I take my preworkout and head to the gym and, even on the days I'm not excited to go at first, I feel so much better after.
    Have you tried different activities? Maybe you like crossfit, powerlifting, or some sport?
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I hear you OP...but every time I have a snarky attitude prior to a workout, I know for a fact that I am always glad to have worked out after it is completed. And magically, that snarky attitude is gone as well.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I LOVE lifting. I HATE running.

So to answer the original Q: do ppl enjoy working out? A: yes and no.
  • mca90guitar
    mca90guitar Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Love lifting days, don't mind cardio days, hate leg day and can't stand yoga day at all.

I can force myself through the ones I hate, just an hr.
  • oceandaisies
    oceandaisies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am in the no, do not enjoy working out camp.

I have made a commitment to being more active so I make myself do it. I live in the middle of nowhere, closest gym is 35kms away and is a tiny not well stocked, no fitness trainer place. Next closest is 65kms away and is bigger with better equipment, but I'm not driving that far to use a gym.

I work 12 hour shifts but still have been making time before and after work to either - walk, run, do a short workout on my phone app, do yoga. I am stuck inside the building for my 12 hour shift as an ER nurse in a tiny little town, I can't leave I am the only nurse here. I walk around in circles during my down time or do yoga or use my foam roller. Before work I set my alarm for 1.5 hours before I really need to get up and then after about 30 minutes drag myself out of bed (I hate mornings and luckily my shift doesn't start until 9am) and do a short bodyweight or core exercise on my app and then go for a walk or run or go directly for a walk warmup and then a run. I then go to work for 12 hours. By 9pm when my shift ends I am going stir crazy inside and go out for a 30-45 minute walk (depending on time of year and how long it stays light) and then do some kind of youtube yoga video before going to bed. When I am at work, I am on-call at night and stay at work in a residence. So not much else to do.

On my days off, my "exercise" consists of gardening (we have a 3 acre garden this year), cleaning up the chicken coop, mowing the lawn, etc. I enjoy these things mostly. I also walk or run on some days off and do a short yoga video before bed sometimes. It's summer now so there may be some swimming in the lake or river happening too (gotta get a new swimsuit though!)

I do enjoy walking/running. I do it alone mostly. Sometimes my hubby walks with me. But I enjoy the solitude and scenery. I run outdoors, tried the treadmill and hated it.

I don't have kids but I do have a chronic back issue with chronic pain/sciatica. I exercise because it means I don't need to take pain meds everyday, I maintain at a level of pain I am willing to live with these days. I also exercise so I can eat more calories cause I love good food. I have lost 81 lbs as of today in a little over a year now, mostly with diet but slowly adding in more exercise as I go.

• fitnurse09
    fitnurse09 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am in the yes category and I'll explain. On days that I don't feel like doing anything you will be surprised how much better you feel once you get started. I know that feeling of dread but follows the feeling of all mighty glory. There will be days however when you know you have to rest and it is much needed for the benefits of your health and muscles. I would strongly advice to find something that you enjoy. It may not be the wonderful treadmill or dumbells and it doesn't even have to involve a gym! Do you and go on with your bad self!
  • lionessNV
    lionessNV Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I found that an at-home workout is for me. I have a subscription to Daily Burn and pay $14.95 (cheaper than a gym) and I have the convenience of not having to muster the energy to just drive to the gym before even start the workout. I also set my workout schedule to at least 5x a week, so if I don't workout one night it's no sweat as long as I can still get my goal by the end of the week.
  • libellemnm
    libellemnm Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I loved working out w my trainer- not necessarily him personally at the end- but having someone who held me accountable made it much easier. Working out is not the hard part for me, like you, it's timing, and also motivation. If I am in the thick of it I couldn't care less. Maybe it's because I hate to sweat.. Maybe it's because even with a personal trainer twice a week and yoga twice a week I didn't lose weight and that being my lifetime cycle has worn me out.. But I agree with most of these folks! Finding the right exercise is helpful. I like paddle boarding and hiking or swimming. I will also add that wearing workout clothes or having them in the car after work helps me stay motivated on designated days. I also found that working out close to work makes the tiring commute a null excuse. :)
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    If its light work, I say yes because cardio can be stress relieving. Lifting heavy, no because the next day I feel like I've been hit by a car.
  • mcafton
    mcafton Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've gotta be honest. I don't like lifting. It's hard, makes me hot, and just not that fun. I have still done it 3 days a week for nine months straight. I still don't like it, but I had results fairly quickly and that got me hooked. Sometimes you just have to do something that sucks to get what you want, like commuting every day in crappy traffic because money is awesome. The paycheck will be looking good and you will just have to decide if it's worth it to you.

Cardio on the other hand. There are endless options for cardio. You could spend the rest of your life trying out different cardio activities. There is something out there you enjoy. Only thing is it doesn't usually help you look better, just makes you skinnier or lets you eat more food. It's great for your heart though.

I hate the weight lifting, but also have been forcing myself to do it.