Do people actually enjoy working out?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    ... not to sound like a *kitten* (which is a risk that I'm willing to take) but, I like working out more than anything.

Lifting heavy weights to failure, soul crushing cardio.... bring it; there is nothing better, nothing.

Everyday I walk in the gym,I want to be the hardest working person in the building. There might be someone lifting more weight than me or moving quicker than me, but I want to be bustin' it just a bit more than them, more than everyone.

besides...

It's a lot cheaper than Prozac or Cardiac By-Pass.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I love working out. Love it. It's my me time, my de-stress time, the only time my work phone isn't glued to my hand. Lifting and group classes are my fave. Cardio machines I find boring but I put my time in and listen to music to make it pass more quickly.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    A bit of a different take on this :)
    I had a friend who commuted an hour+ each way to work. He found that, due to traffic patterns, if he left his house 30 minutes earlier in the morning he would arrive to work an hour (!!!) early. If something like that could work in your case, you could join a gym close to work. Get a quick workout in, shower and be on your way.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,073 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I love rowing (on water) so much that I do it 4 or more times a week in season. I love it so much that I started doing other things (spin class, weight training, improving swimming) in order to get better at rowing, or to stay in shape for it during off-season, etc., and came to enjoy most of those things (except swimming ;) ), too. I love to work hard, sweat, see what I can achieve. Sometimes I surprise myself.

I've been rowing for almost 15 years now, having done it for a dozen years while still obese. Love, love, love.

I love how I feel when I'm strong and fit, more able to do lots of activities than many people my age (61), including chores of daily life as well as other sport/exercise activities just for fun (biking, hikes, etc). Being active improves my mood. I hope and believe it will help me avoid a one-way permanent trip to assisted living for many years yet.

The magic happens when you find your perfect activity. Keep looking! (Even the search can be pretty fun.)
  • CornflakeGirl01
    CornflakeGirl01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love working out. I love lifting and progressing and hitting PRs. I also love running half marathons. Running helps me clear my head. I love challenging myself and improving myself with physical activity. I need to do it. I cannot imagine not working out. Do I have some days where I just am not in the mood, sure. But, I know I will feel better mentally and physically once I do it. I do CrossFit and also just started training for my first full marathon and first triathlon. For me, it is amazing that at 47, I can do all that I can do in all these sports!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I get a raging lady lifting boner when five finer death punch is on and I get to squat- or more likely deadlift.

that *kitten* f**king gets me so ramped up- I love it.

I get butterfly nervous excited about going to the gym.

Almost nothing makes me happier.

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,318 Member
    Options
    I enjoy working out. Our kids are grown but when they lived at home the gym was my refuge. I love listening to my favorite music at the gym & recently joined a HIIT class that's a real challenge. I also take my 6 dogs out every morning to either/or dog park or walk & enjoy riding my bike. I don't like being home all day
  • Bear_SS
    Bear_SS Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hell no.

How can I enjoy my daily early morning long runs ?
  • BWA468
    BWA468 Posts: 101 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have just finished doing a second session of strength training at home doing youtube vids. I have joined gyms before thinking I had to do an hour of cardio to tone up and it bores the hell out of me and I actually hate doing it. I looked into weight training and find it far more enjoyable! Only doing 30min sessions with dumbells at home and the last 2 days Ive been barely able to walk lol but I STILL looked forward to doing another session tonight and am actually feeling not as sore :) running or any cardio is the devil lol
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    I don't love my current gym programme, but I love how I feel after I've vanquished it; dripping with sweat, quads so knackered I can barely make it down the stairs to the changing room, and UTTERLY VICTORIOUS.

I actively love the cycling and walking I do, though. And I started doing a lot more exercise when I set myself looking for things to enjoy about it, rather than feeling it somehow didn't count unless I was hating every minute.
  • cinblog1965
    cinblog1965 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy and don't drive yourself crazy over rules. I love to work out when I can just get in my own head and tune the world out, but that only happens about half the time. I focus on how good I feel AFTER the workout instead of how I feel starting it.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you have to find that type of physical activity you have a passion for. I loathe a traditional gym. It bores me to tears very quickly and is the other half of the equation as to my quick weight gain in my mid-30s.

Five years ago, I discovered combat sports especially BJJ/MMA and not only do I love it, I crave it. I need my training like I need oxygen or water. I can't explain it other than when an artist says: "art is how they most express themselves" is how I feel about sparring a round of BJJ. It is me at my most basic. It's an expression of exactly who I am deep down.

Find that physical active that gives you that feeling and working out will never be "work," again.
  • stolen_spoon
    stolen_spoon Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's like I'm a kid at the playground just burning energy. I also like the way it makes me feel at the end, and provided that I'm not rushed, I love it.

I do NOT like running tho lol.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    First, I've you're dedicated you WILL find the time to workout. I'm busier than most and workout 70 minutes/day so that excuse doesn't fly with me. ;)

As far as working out, I LOVE lifting weights-I couldn't imagine it not being a part of my life. The key is you have to find something you love - try new things and be open-minded about it. If you think you'll hate something you most likely will.
  • mengqiz86
    mengqiz86 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I love working out. It clears my head and gives me so much more energy. Maybe you just need to get used to a busier schedule. Full time job with 45min commute and no kids honestly does not sound like a lot. I have a 1 hr commute and 10-hr work days, do grad school part time, work out 1 hr per day. Still I feel like I have it EASY compared to coworkers with young kids.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I'm actually not a major fan of "working out" - I keep structured exercise time to about three one-hour sessions per week, which I tolerate and helps me reach my fitness goals.

On the other hand, I love various kinds of physical activity, particularly hiking, so I'll opt for 8 hours on the trail over 8 minutes on a treadmill.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Love weight training and begrudgingly do cardio.....

jmnx5m4rvyfr.jpg
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I do. I feel so off balance when I don't. I also have a very strict rule that except for Sundays or if I have a specific routine in mind, my workouts are not to exceed 30 minutes under any circumstances. I get pissed and exhausted and burnt when I'm going longer than that for days at a time. No thank you.
  • last1youlove
    last1youlove Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love it !!! Hang in there you will too :wink: