13»

Replies

• relynne
    relynne Posts: 387 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    relynne wrote: »
    Gross. I don't eat at chain restaurants anymore anyway, but I never really liked it when I did.

chain restaurants are only good when you're traveling and in the middle of nowhere and don't want to be challenged by food choices. they are typically bland, boring and void of flavor or character, yet predictable.

You know what I find bizarre? There's a Joe's Crab Shack on the wharf in SF and it is always packed.
  • Carillon_Campanello
    Carillon_Campanello Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Gross. I don't eat at chain restaurants anymore anyway, but I never really liked it when I did.

chain restaurants are only good when you're traveling and in the middle of nowhere and don't want to be challenged by food choices. they are typically bland, boring and void of flavor or character, yet predictable.

THIS or it is extraordinarily salty.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

You know what I find bizarre? There's a Joe's Crab Shack on the wharf in SF and it is always packed.

We were in SF a few months ago, and yeah, I made that same comment. Really sad.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    leave it. so many great italian restaurants locally. Find something better. OG is cheap and you get lots of mediocre food.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

that's really, really sad

there are so many great places to eat up there....
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I like it but I really have to plan my calories if I'm going there. Most of their entrees have like 2,000 calories.. so I plan soups, salad, appetizers, etc.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options

THIS or it is extraordinarily salty.

This is why I say leave it, OG is WAY too salty.

Although, FTR, too much salt is why I rarely eat out. I always feel terrible the next morning.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

I have an embarrassing story about that place. I had never heard of it before and and my ex wanted to try it while visiting SF. I thought it was pretty cool and funky, so I bought my dad, daughter, and neighbor some tie dye and we had had a decent (deep fried) lunch.

I got home and learned there was one across town in my own city. This was about 15 years ago. I'm a little more worldly now. My dad will NEVER let me forget that I bought souvenirs at a chain restaurant. To be fair to myself, we did eat at a bunch of other fab places off the beaten path.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    "Love it or leave it?"

Can I say "both"? Because I want to hate it, I know it isn't authentic, but I can't help myself. I love it. Those stupid oversalty breadsticks and their stupid buttery alfredo - it's just divine once in a while. Maybe it's a guilty pleasure, but I really enjoy it - our youngest LOVES it so we usually eat there once a year for his birthday.

I'm bumping this thread because today is our annual "Olive Garden for Young Boy's Birthday" day, and I'm super excited. I don't even want to order any actual food. I'll eat salad and breadsticks dipped in alfredo sauce and I'll feel incredibly sick thereafter and I'll be very, very puffy tomorrow, but it will have all been worth it.

Suck it, haters.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Probably go there 2 or 3 times a year. I like the Zupa Toscana.
  • patrick_star_trek
    patrick_star_trek Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

The only way I'll eat kale.
  • gmikesell
    gmikesell Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »

Same here. I also like their zippoli's but dang, that place will leave your diet diary a smoking mess! Lol
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You're not missing anything. The sodium content of their food is horrendous and their food is subpar. I went like six years ago and it was awful. Don't waste the calories and get a good meal at a non chain local authentic Italian restaurant
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    It's garbage

.... but a pretty good punchline.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I love it.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    It's been a long time since I've been to one, but I like the salad. The breadsticks didn't taste like they used to when I first went... I think they changed the recipe. They are much saltier. I too wish they put more than 1 olive and pepperoncini in the salad. The dressing is delicious.

I love the Zuppa Toscana soup, but now that I make it at home I like my version better.

The actual entrees I've never really enjoyed. Generally too salty for me which is weird because I like salty foods. We always went for the $7 all you can eat soup and salad lunch.
  • lorriemb
    lorriemb Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It's very pricey for easily duplicated recipes and the serving sizes are HUGE. Crazy.
  • nolan44219
    nolan44219 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It varies from restaurant to restaurant in my opinion
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I'll pass. Their stuff is too salty for me. There are better places I can spend my money.