The Junk Food Diet (seriously)

Options

Replies

• chelllsea124
    chelllsea124 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My brain is wired a different way, my first thought was man you have too much money.

It must have cost a fortune living from convenience stores.

I thought the same thing..... Convenience stores are such a money trap.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My brain is wired a different way, my first thought was man you have too much money.

So it's not just me, yippee :D
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Going to prison to lose weight. What a great idea. I'm referring to the first answer.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options

It was not all that bad, though I guess "expensive" is relative. To recall some pricing from that month, the Pizza was a buck or a buck fifty a slice depending on the day and type of pizza. The Wings were 10 for 5 bucks, though if I remember right that was a promo they were running at the time. The "spicy" wings are actually pretty damn good for gas station food honestly. All the taquitos were normally 2 for a dollar on the cheap ones they were trying to get rid of or a buck a piece otherwise. There were a couple of times the clerk would just straight up give me a couple taquitos since they could only be in the warmer for a certain amount of time and I got pretty chummy with most of the clerks since I was there so frequently. Mini tacos were 2 for a dollar. Chicken tenders were a buck a piece or occasionally 2 for a buck (which were also surprisingly good). Grab and go cheeseburgers and chicken sandwiches out of the warmer were 2 bucks each. Mozzarella sticks were 5 for 2 dollars, and the large hash round things were 5 for a dollar. The 1/4 pound big bite hot dogs are normally 2.50 as are the polish and spicy dogs, but they also had regular promos on these where you could score both a dog and a big gulp for 1.99. Nachos are the one of most expensive items at 3.99, but you also get self serve chili, cheese, jalapenos, etc. so overall not a bad value.

The microwaveable stuff, melts, and cold sandwiches out of the cooler had assorted prices, but they were nearly all under 5 bucks. The only exception is sometimes had this HUGE sub sandwich that was 6 bucks. This was calorie for calorie one of my favorites, but I had to show up by 1130 to get it. Once the Mexican work crews showed up by noon, most of the good stuff out of the cooler was gone. I am sure you guys already know rough pricing for candy bars, chips, soda, beef jerky (Jack Links is pricey) etc.

So yeah, not what I would call particularly expensive.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Going to prison to lose weight. What a great idea. I'm referring to the first answer.
    But it's true. Lots of people who were fat went to prison and got thinner. Scott Peterson and Thomas Montgomery are good examples.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    But it's true. Lots of people who were fat went to prison and got thinner. Scott Peterson and Thomas Montgomery are good examples.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This study on the subject is somewhat interesting: http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2009/07/30/jech.2009.090662.short

While prisoners often suffer from a variety of health ailments due to unhealthy lifestyle choices while they were on the outside, while in prison the prevalence for diabetes and obesity related issues are not among them.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Unless you have money for commissary. LOL
    Lol. Yeah only people with money for commissary don't change much.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

This study on the subject is somewhat interesting: http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2009/07/30/jech.2009.090662.short

While prisoners often suffer from a variety of health ailments due to unhealthy lifestyle choices while they were on the outside, while in prison the prevalence for diabetes and obesity related issues are not among them.
    And that's usually because weight is the number 1 risk factor for health issues. When weight goes down, especially if obese or very overweight, risk drops exponentially.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Sorry long term adherence to a diet consistently of low nutrient food, even if it results in weight loss due to less calories in vs out is not healthy in the long term.

How about just a reasonable diet composed of 80-90% nutrient dense foods and an appropriate level of calories? Not a fad, not "cool: but very effective from a weight and health perspective.
    But then how do explain prison inmates with long sentences (say serving 20 years) completing them and getting out of prison with health just fine?
    I'm not advocating eating that way. I'm just pointing out that budgeting $4 dollars a day per inmate for 3 meals results in low low quality food and they survive just fine.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

A Google search references several studies that suggest an inmate loses 2 year of life expectancy for each year in prison. Sure a lot of factors going on, but not a ringing endorsement of the health aspects of a prison diet.

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2013/02/05/prison-sentence-take-release/
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Hm.
    “This finding is in line with prior research which reports high risk of death initially that declines over time,” Patterson said.

The difficulty of getting proper health care in the months immediately after prison is a particular problem, Patterson said. Many times an inmate with an illness is discharged from prison with a 30-day supply of medication and little chance of connecting with a new health care provider.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I pressed the Woo-Hoo button because I mean it. I congratulate and thank you.

@ninerbuff I may see if I can find a recipe for nutri-loaf, now that you mention it.

@supaflyrobby1 Your 7-11 diet mentioned hot dogs, burritos, and hot wings, so other than the elevated risk of stomach cancer from the nitrates you were getting plenty of all the macros and fiber.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Sorry long term adherence to a diet consistently of low nutrient food, even if it results in weight loss due to less calories in vs out is not healthy in the long term.

How about just a reasonable diet composed of 80-90% nutrient dense foods and an appropriate level of calories? Not a fad, not "cool: but very effective from a weight and health perspective.

where did OP recommend this for the long term?

Do you think a registered dietitian would recommend the OP's diet for even a month?