The Junk Food Diet (seriously)

Options

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nice post. I share a lot of the similar thoughts.

I will say for me and my beliefs. Macros have their role.
    If weight loss is all u are concerned with. Then the macros don't matter. Just overall calories.
    If you are concerned with body composition and/or athletic performance. Then an eye on ur macros I feel is warranted.
    But I assume you would still get a decent Amt of protein in even if u weren't tracking macros.

Good thread
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Sorry long term adherence to a diet consistently of low nutrient food, even if it results in weight loss due to less calories in vs out is not healthy in the long term.

How about just a reasonable diet composed of 80-90% nutrient dense foods and an appropriate level of calories? Not a fad, not "cool: but very effective from a weight and health perspective.
    But then how do explain prison inmates with long sentences (say serving 20 years) completing them and getting out of prison with health just fine?
    I'm not advocating eating that way. I'm just pointing out that budgeting $4 dollars a day per inmate for 3 meals results in low low quality food and they survive just fine.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

A Google search references several studies that suggest an inmate loses 2 year of life expectancy for each year in prison. Sure a lot of factors going on, but not a ringing endorsement of the health aspects of a prison diet.

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2013/02/05/prison-sentence-take-release/
    It doesn't refer to the diet but other issues such as health care AFTER BEING RELEASED. Also, there's not reference to whether or no possible return to crime meant death by homicide which could be part of the average.
    “Much work on prison inmates concentrates on outcomes such as denial of citizen rights, increased morbidity risks and erosion of lifetime earnings and job opportunities,” Patterson said. “Such collateral consequences of incarceration can be reversed.

“Death, though, cannot be reversed. It is this lack of reversal that makes this area of study so consequential.”

Evelyn Patterson (Vanderbilt)

The study did turn up a small bright spot, Patterson said. If a prisoner serves out parole without returning to prison, he eventually gains the years back to his lifespan lost during his prison stay.

“This finding is in line with prior research which reports high risk of death initially that declines over time,” Patterson said.

The difficulty of getting proper health care in the months immediately after prison is a particular problem, Patterson said. Many times an inmate with an illness is discharged from prison with a 30-day supply of medication and little chance of connecting with a new health care provider.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Interesting experiment!

Your sodium intake must have been through the roof! Did you find yourself more thirsty during the month?
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    For me, it's more about satiety. "Junk food" is typically calorie dense compared to other types of food. For example, I would be more satisfied eating a baked sweet potato than six pieces of Twizzlers.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    Interesting experiment!

Your sodium intake must have been through the roof! Did you find yourself more thirsty during the month?

I did not really notice a huge increase in thirst, but then I am also one of those people that generally just drinks a lot of water anyway. The only exception I can remember to this is the 7-11 "spicy" variety chicken wings (I will attach a pic below). These were delicious, but extremely salty to consume. So much so that I found that dipping them in ranch was all but required to cut the saltiness factor when eating them. These did make me noticeably consume more water or diet soda if I had them for lunch or dinner.

mmpfjy0ikox3.jpg

• dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Yes it probably has little to do with prison violence, poorer health care, smoking, drug use, and less physical activity while being incarcerated compared to people on the outside...not to mention what kind of lifestyle they return to once freed....hopefully that 2 year life reduction per year in prison is true esp. for pedophiles.
    It might be surprising, but for the average person who goes to prison, most of those factors are better in prison than outside - mainly because most people who go to prison aren't leading particularly healthy lives before they get there. For example, prisons in the US ban smoking either partially or completely, and access to drugs and alcohol is more limited. That's not to say inmates can't get their hands on those things, but they're less available than on the outside. (The rate of fatal drug overdoses is lower in prisons, for example.) Also, as the article pointed out, life expectancy is two years less after release. Deaths that occur in prison due to prison gangs or inmate-on-inmate violence wouldn't be part of the reduction in life expectancy.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone worth listening to would argue against thermodynamics, but being deficient in vitamins and minerals (probably proteins) and getting crappy quality fats for the length of time most people seeking to lose weight require to do so would be suicidal IMO
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I know OP was not doing this, but if you wanted to you could get a nutritionally okay diet from the 7-11 nearest me.

I also think I could eat at a deficit eating just from the 7-11 for 30 days (let's say 1400 calories) and would probably do so more consistently than I seem to be able to now, since it would be an interesting experiment and having a reason to do it is what I need.

It would actually make it easier, as I couldn't eat random foods that show up at work that might be more tasty.

On the other hand, the diet would be depressing, although not so much as the "military" diet, so there's that!

You should give it a try then, and you have the perfect platform here at MFP to document your progress. Since I see you are also from Chicago, you know as well as I do that you are never terribly far from a 7-11 since they dot the landscape :)

I am quite close to two separate 7-11s. One has Quest bars and a better selection of ice cream (Talenti, and better quality B&J). The other has alcohol. (I don't drink, though.) ;-)
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Sigh. It's really disheartening to see how many people are misconstruing the OP. He isn't suggesting that anyone undertake this diet, for either the short term or the long term. I believe, and I could be wrong, that he initiated this experiment as a counter to the people who suggest you MUST eat clean in order to lose weight, or that it's impossible to be satisfied on a primarily calorie dense diet, or that there will be direct health consequences as a result of eating this way.

Day in and day out on these boards, posters try to suggest that anyone who says "calories are all that matter for weight loss" is telling posters to ignore nutrition. This OP went through the experiment, lost weight, didn't feel compelled to overeat as a result of the food choices, and didn't suffer adverse effects on health markers. He is absolutely not advocating that others eat this way - but went through the trouble to eat this way, measure his results, and summarize it for people to read and understand.

Thanks for the post OP. Sadly, I feel people are going to read it with preconceived confirmation bias and are going to misconstrue your benign personal experiment as a directive to others.

Are there people here that actually disagree with CICO in terms of weight loss? LET YOURSELVES BE KNOWN!!!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Many people have said that they do in many different threads.

Many people who theoretically believe in it have trouble getting away from magical thinking about it too (I may be one of those). Thus, all the "if I eat a cookie can I still lose weight" questions.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    facinating idea. What came to mind for me was how I felt when I did the Atkins diet many years ago. I ended up losing only because you can't eat that way forever so you lose interest in food. This sounds similar. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    Sigh. It's really disheartening to see how many people are misconstruing the OP. He isn't suggesting that anyone undertake this diet, for either the short term or the long term. I believe, and I could be wrong, that he initiated this experiment as a counter to the people who suggest you MUST eat clean in order to lose weight, or that it's impossible to be satisfied on a primarily calorie dense diet, or that there will be direct health consequences as a result of eating this way.

Day in and day out on these boards, posters try to suggest that anyone who says "calories are all that matter for weight loss" is telling posters to ignore nutrition. This OP went through the experiment, lost weight, didn't feel compelled to overeat as a result of the food choices, and didn't suffer adverse effects on health markers. He is absolutely not advocating that others eat this way - but went through the trouble to eat this way, measure his results, and summarize it for people to read and understand.

Thanks for the post OP. Sadly, I feel people are going to read it with preconceived confirmation bias and are going to misconstrue your benign personal experiment as a directive to others.

Are there people here that actually disagree with CICO in terms of weight loss? LET YOURSELVES BE KNOWN!!!!

You must be new here.

No, I guess I just don't pay attention lol
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Sigh. It's really disheartening to see how many people are misconstruing the OP.

It may have something to do with the fact that the OP is SEVENTEEN PARAGRAPHS long. This is a message board, not the National Institutes of Health.