NEW!!! Kroger Copycat Halo Top

Options

Replies

• leanitup123
    leanitup123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    svel713 wrote: »
    I found this ice cream today at my Kroger. Tried the Birthday Cake, Chocolate, and Sea Salt Caramel. The first two taste very close to the Halo Top flavors and are good. The last one is also good, but I don't remember Halo Top's version to compare it. Its like a butterscotch caramel swirl.

The tubs were by one of our three Halo Top stocking areas at the "end" freezer of an aisle. They were $3.99 full price. For comparison, Halo Top runs $5.49 where I live. A bit more expensive than I hoped but at least they're cheaper for when Halo Top isn't on sale and I want some ice cream.

Maybe they'll be cheaper in different locations. Kroger sells Halo Top for $4.99 where I live, but it's pretty much constantly "on sale" for $3.99.

I bet you that the price will fluctuate with Halo Top's.
  • leanitup123
    Options
    I found this ice cream today at my Kroger. Tried the Birthday Cake, Chocolate, and Sea Salt Caramel. The first two taste very close to the Halo Top flavors and are good. The last one is also good, but I don't remember Halo Top's version to compare it. Its like a butterscotch caramel swirl.

The tubs were by one of our three Halo Top stocking areas at the "end" freezer of an aisle. They were $3.99 full price. For comparison, Halo Top runs $5.49 where I live. A bit more expensive than I hoped but at least they're cheaper for when Halo Top isn't on sale and I want some ice cream.

How was the texture/consistency compared to Halo Top and Enlightened? Creamy and like real ice cream? RIP @ Arctic Zero :D
  • leanitup123
    Options
    wfim32who3wl.png
    hpx3f40ny58l.png

!!!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Oh snap Breyers
  • leanitup123
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Oh snap Breyers

6tkr050wbcsx.jpg
  • svel713
    svel713 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

How was the texture/consistency compared to Halo Top and Enlightened? Creamy and like real ice cream? RIP @ Arctic Zero :D

The Low Cow ice cream was like Halo Top and was creamy when microwaved for a few seconds. Haven't tried Enlightened or Artic Zero to compare.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Yes I want this to be a battle of the light ice creams. It will only end cheaper and deliciously!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    wfim32who3wl.png
    hpx3f40ny58l.png

!!!

I wonder if it will be real ice cream or the frozen dairy dessert?
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I don't shop at Kroger much mostly because I tend to overspend when I do. However I do like their Simple Truth products very much.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    wfim32who3wl.png
    hpx3f40ny58l.png

!!!

Tried this because the protein is great in it, I tried the Vanilla bean was only $3.99. However it gave me the worst headache i've ever had, I threw it away :(
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I bet you that the price will fluctuate with Halo Top's.[/quote]

Yep. I went. I went to Smith's last night and Kroger's brand was prominently displayed on an end cap for $3.99. Halo Top was $4.99 and it is consistently $4.49. Doubt it will ever be that price again. I tried the mint chocolate and the birthday cake. Very similar to Halo Top IMO. I will be looking for Bryer's. It's nice to have options.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    katadx wrote: »
    Yes I want this to be a battle of the light ice creams. It will only end cheaper and deliciously!

Agreed!!! This is a win-win for consumers.

I may have to check out the Kroger brand. I typically shop at Meijer, but I could swing by a Kroger (I have two within 5 miles of me) to check these out.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I have to look for that Breyers version
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I just bough the kroger brand tonight with two flavors- can't wait to compare- was about$1.25 cheaper than HT- hope it taste good. I also HOPE that we get the Breyers brand soon- because I love Breyers ice cream so this will be a great " ice cream battle royal" !!!!!
  • Mbrown343
    Mbrown343 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Halo top lemon cake is my absolute favorite...I bet Halo top is making that ice cream for Kroger?
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have to look for that Breyers version

I know right? I'm just hoping that the base is real ice cream since some of their frozen dairy dessert flavors just flat out suck. If it is frozen dairy dessert & manages to taste great then I'll definitely buy this in place of Halo Top since the cheapest I can ever get it around where I live is $4.64 at Wal-Mart.

Weis & Giant sell Enlightened & sometimes sell that for $3.99-$4.99. The only two flavors I've really loved from what I can get (no new flavors yet) are Red Velvet, Triple Chocolate, & Caramel Oatmeal Cookie Crunch.

People that have Shop Rite (grocery store) can get these brands for $2.88 during sales.
  • Antmaril
    Antmaril Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I bought the Kroger Sea Salt Caramel for $3.99 and thought it was delish! Halo Top was $5.49, so it was a no brainer. Haven't seen Breyers yet, but I will watch for it. Competition is a good thing. Prices should drop.
  • leanitup123
    Options
    Mbrown343 wrote: »
    Halo top lemon cake is my absolute favorite...I bet Halo top is making that ice cream for Kroger?

Could be! Many private label brands source their product (e.g. Kirkland Vodka = Grey Goose; Great Value cheese = Sargento; Market Pantry vanilla ice cream = Breyer's)
  • kamarismom
    kamarismom Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I got the Kroger sea salt caramel for 3.99, I haven't tried it but it also gave he a coupon for a free halo top and I have never tried any of those either because they are 5.49 here so I will try one with the coupon and compare.
  • Jmatievich
    Jmatievich Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Why can't/won't some eat it?