Motivational sayings, did one motivate you?

ironjay37
ironjay37 Posts: 136 Member
edited June 2017 in Motivation and Support
Hi I'm J, starting out at 466. I've heard people say, "nothing clicked or made sense then I heard or read this". Those are key moments. What are some of your key moments that you heard or read something that motivated you, that you made your daily mantra and saying? Did any saying actually inspire you and if so, what was it?

Replies

• lilligraz22
    lilligraz22 Posts: 183 Member
    Hi. My mom said something once about life in general (but it definitely applies to healthy living) "if you don't like something about your life, change it" she also added "and stop complaining, nobody's gonna do it for you"
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    "Train insane or remain the same"
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Choose from either the pain of discipline or the pain of regret.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    I like "eat the frog first."

It means doing the thing you don't like first to get it done and out the way... you can interpret that as you like, whether it's exercise or logging your food, or weighing yourself.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    "You don't get what you wish for; you get what you work for" - saw it on a tshirt at the gym once and it's inspired me ever since
  • lizholt326
    lizholt326 Posts: 35 Member
    "Three months from now you'll wish you started today" and similarly, "time will pass whether you eat right and exercise or not"
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Perfect is the enemy of the good.
  • babyphoenix
    babyphoenix Posts: 20 Member
    I always look at it like this- 'Pick one.' I have two choices, I can go on a binge-fest and enjoy an hour of all my favorite food and drink (and then feel guilty because I'm that much farther away from my goals) or, I can eat within my calories (and feel a touch sad that I can't pig out anymore) and eventually have that healthier body I want, and be happy about it all day long, every day. Neither one is ideal, ideally I would love to eat whatever the heck I want AND have the awesome body, but I can't. So I pick which one I want more. I am willing to eat less and miss my junk food to get lean, I have found it's more tolerable these days than the 'eating poorly' guilt and frustration of before. Mind you it took me quite a few years to finally pick that option, lol!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    When I was actively losing, "Being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard- choose your hard." jibed with me. Decision is everything.

As a runner Steve Prefontaine speaks my heart but it is also applicable to weight loss imo, "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift."
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    e8oj9i2pzenj.jpg
  • TnZMom
    TnZMom Posts: 222 Member
    I always look at it like this- 'Pick one.' I have two choices, I can go on a binge-fest and enjoy an hour of all my favorite food and drink (and then feel guilty because I'm that much farther away from my goals) or, I can eat within my calories (and feel a touch sad that I can't pig out anymore) and eventually have that healthier body I want, and be happy about it all day long, every day. Neither one is ideal, ideally I would love to eat whatever the heck I want AND have the awesome body, but I can't. So I pick which one I want more. I am willing to eat less and miss my junk food to get lean, I have found it's more tolerable these days than the 'eating poorly' guilt and frustration of before. Mind you it took me quite a few years to finally pick that option, lol!

Yes, I always know if I overeat I'll feel bad later. But that never stopped me. Now I think if I don't overeat now, I'll feel good later.

I have a friend who's addicted to various substances. She said that when she makes the decision in her mind that she's going to use that day, there's nothing that can stop her, even though she knows she will regret it.
  • OKNY21
    OKNY21 Posts: 7 Member
    I lost 60...and I still push myself daily challenging myself through progressive overload..so mine has always been.."I didn't come this far to only come this far."
  • dillydaisys
    dillydaisys Posts: 132 Member
    I remember hearing someone who was very over weight and lost it and kept it off say "it might be boring and it might be repetitive but you've just gotta do it" for some reason it just clicked for me. I wish everyone here well
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    My favourite is: 'Discipline is a choice between what you want now and what you want most'.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Res Firma Mitiscere Nescit... a strong resolve does not know how to weaken... from the movie American flyer... they translate it to Once you get it up keep it up... You are on the road now OP ... you can decide to start the journey and put one foot in front of the other each and every day... or start over and over ... it took me more than 3 years to make going to the gym a habit and part of my life... it took me that long to figure out.. that gym time was more important to me than tv time... so... get it up... and keep it up... what's the alternative?