Family is no help!

Options
1235»

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Oriel94 wrote: »
    I know what you mean about the violence because my father in law had lewy body disease which I think is very similar to alzheimers and he got very combative towards the end before he had to go to the nursing home. You are a dear to be taking on these challenges at such a young age and I wish you all the best!

Thank you so much, I just hope we don't have to do that.

Please be aware and be realistic because someday you will need to put your grandmother in a nursing home. When the dementia progresses to levels of un-controllable aggression, and the person loses the ability to take care of himself/herself or can’t recognize family members; when they start walking away from the house in the middle of the night or doing things that can harm themselves and the rest of the family, then it is the time and need for a 24/7/365 care giver, and that can only be achieved in a nursing facility.

I have my sister in law (brother's widow) in a nursing home for the last 7 months so I understand your situation. It was not easy but my niece couldn't take care of her anymore (she needed to work!) and the paramedics were visiting the house way too often and sometimes even calling the police for help.

I don't want to depress you but you need to face reality. We all think and want to take care of our love ones until the end of their days, but certain conditions, such as dementia/Alzheimer, don’t give us that luxury.

Kudos to you for all that you are doing and good luck!
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are in a tough situation. It is all about the food though so eat less of the fattening stuff and fill up on the low-cal veggies. Good luck in your job search
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    lpina2mi wrote: »
    Oriel94 wrote: »
    Hi everyone! I really need to know how you guys got started and we're able to stay on track when your family refuses to buy food that you could eat. I'm a recent college graduate and currently unemployed so I am taking this time to work on myself until God opens a door for me. Therefore, food in the house is totally up to my family. Any suggestions?

Here is what I do in my home.
    #1 I do not tell anyone I am dieting. I even prefer to exercise when everyone is out of the house. The less I bring attention to my effort, the less resistance, doubt, questions I get. It works better if they notice when I am "suddenly" down 20 lbs!

#2 This is a new trick, intermittent fasting, that so far is speeding up my weight loss.
    Dr Fung, nephrologist whose kidney patienta are often dealing with obesity and/or diabestes, calls it therapeutic fasting. You pick and can vary it-- the hours of the day you eat and the hours of the day you DO NOT EAT. Your hours of sleep count as fasting hours. For many, skipping breakfast and NOT eating (including no beverages) after dinner is all they have to do to achieve a 16h or 18h of fasting.
    Dr Fung, recognizes the importance of staying hydrated. He has a preference for water but recognizes that some do broth or coffee fasts. Because of the insulin response, he does not favor juice fasts.
    Dr. Fung recognizes that many doing keto or paleo diets are eating so that there macros are low carb and high fat. Fung favors low carb, because most carbs in SAD diet tend to spike insulin. Fung also credits the higher fat (high quality fats from whole foods) making fasting easier.

From the Salk Institute/Dr Satchidanada Panda, who is a scientist studying circadian rhythyms and bodily functions calls it time-restricted eating Dr Panda says weight benefits are achieved in as few as 9h of fasting, but increased muscle mass and other health benefits are achieved with 12h of fasting.
    Dr. Panda also points out that ANYTHING EXCEPT WATER ends a fast, because the kidneys are kicked into action with beverages--even black coffee.
    Dr. Panda's studies show many health benefits, including lean body mass, from intermittent fasting despite the kind of food that is being eaten during the window of "feeding hours". THIS LOOKS TO BE VERY ENCOURAGING INFO FOR YOU.

Fung is a quack. And Dr. Panda? "Dr. Panda also points out that ANYTHING EXCEPT WATER ends a fast, because the kidneys are kicked into action with beverages--even black coffee."

So, plain water magically by-passes the kidneys so they don't have to function? Hint: Your kidneys are always 'on.' They don't have to be "kicked into action." The truth would be that anything that contains calories ends a fast, because, by definition, you are no longer fasting. The kidneys have nothing to do with it.

Also, Intermittent Fasting isn't "a new trick," just a way of managing caloric intake that's been around for a long time. Just the name is new-ish. Nothing magic going on with that, either. ;)

(Edited to remove quoted videos/graphics.)