Has anyone lost weight without going low carb?

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Earlnababy, thank you for the reply. I don't think low carb is the only way to go. I just tend to go by what my fitness instructor says because hes the expert. However, I am slowly starting to realize that I am the only person that can truly determine whats right for my body.

This may have said already, but it bears repeating that, when it comes to giving diet advice, a fitness instructor is almost certainly NOT an "expert".

Agreed. Many who offer diet or nutrition advice get their info from the local GNC store or whatever MLM they are selling. Stick to getting workout advice from a personal trainer and go to an RD for nutritional advice.
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Even though Dr.Atkins proven to not die of heart attack due to low carb, this thread has truly opened my eyes. This under 50 carbs a day is not sustainable. Maybe under 100 or less?
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind everyone's body responds differently to a different diet.
    I made a point of not dieting but rather changing my eating habits. I needed something sustainable in the long run because when we grocery shop it's for the entire family, and we share foods. It would substantially go over our budget to just buy different foods for myself.
  • jjtweb
    jjtweb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've lost 138 pounds and only one month was low carb. I was fearful my weight loss may slow so my Doctor suggested lowering carbs and uping protein. I researched, it seem easy and decided 50 or below. I struggled through a month and went back to counting calories. For me it didn't allow enough adjustment to regular interations with food and people. Example...If I wanted to get a 100 calorie Starbucks one random day I would do so and just reduce that 100 calories somewhere else. I felt more like I was eating normal than dieting. On the 50 carbs for such a small treat it would kill my carbs for the day. I felt like I was on a diet. Since I am long term losing weight I need it to be more a healthstyle eating then a quick fix and then what eating. That is just how I felt I am sure others do fine with it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,002 Member
    Options
    Even though Dr.Atkins proven to not die of heart attack due to low carb, this thread has truly opened my eyes. This under 50 carbs a day is not sustainable. Maybe under 100 or less?

I think 100g is a perfectly reasonable goal. It's not hard to do, and it helps with cravings for some people.
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Here's some good info from Dr Michael Greger
    Nutritionfacts.org
    https://youtu.be/zTuK6QKBvcc
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian and eat probably like 60% carbs (only whole grains where possible, lots of fiber, some added sugar but not tons) and lost 45 pounds last year in 50 weeks. I maintain around 120 eating about that same amount of carbs (though I am not closely tracking macros).
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    On non-training days I can eat around 150-220g of carbs and upwards of 300g on training days and I've lost 75lbs so it's all dependent on what you need. I train for 2 hours at a time so I need energy (carbs) to sustain that. But generally I aim to get in 145g of protein and then the chips fall where they may in regards to everything else.

It's a personal choice how you choose to lose your weight but the crux will always be calories in and calories out and as long as you follow that, you'll be golden.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Low carb only works for people who can sustain that way of eating long term.

I get 20-30% of my calories from carbs most days which some people consider low but it works for me. My trainer/boxing coach eats keto and eats far less carbs than me. That works for her but I could never do it because it would set me up to binge and fail in a week. My son is a swimmer and eats tons of carbs...he is the leanest of the 3 of us. It works for him.

To each their own
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't have a carb goal. Calories first. Protein second. A good amount of fat but fat and carbs can largely fall where they may. As long as I get in enough protein to retain as much muscle as possible along with strength training, I'm good.

Plus, I ate a megaton of potatoes today, you can eat a lot for very few calories. Couldn't do that if I was strictly counting carbs. So I'm going to keep my potatoes thank you very much.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I decided when I hit 301lbs at 20 yrs old (I'm 5'8) that it was time for me to lose weight. Fast forward 5 months later and I am now 245lbs. I feel the best I have ever felt in my own skin. I have 55lbs more to go. However, I recently started doing low carb (50 carbs or less). I still feel energized because I am very good at finding health alternatives to my favorite foods like pizza, tacos, fried chicken, etc. However, this low carb lifestyle is just becoming a huge headache and I'm finding it to be nearly inpossible for it to be a lifestyle I would maintain in the future. My fitness instructor recommended 50 grams or less so that I'll burn more fat but I dont know anymore.

So if anyone can offer advice or share you success stories of not going low carb it would be greatly appreciated! If you don't mind can you provide an estimate of how many grams you ate in a day? Thanks in advanced!

The bolded words are key to your success. Don't complicate this any more than it needs to be. You lost most of your weight eating carbs, right? You already know it can be done. You can go low carb if you want, but don't do it because someone else told you to do it. Do it because you want to - or not.

I lost weight and have been maintaining that loss all while eating moderate to sometimes high carb meals. I've been at goal for about 6 years now with no plans to stop. The most important thing to me is that my eating habits are permanently sustainable. And I have no medical reason to limit carbs. For me, personally, life without carbs would suck. Therefore, low carb would not be sustainable.

Do what works for you! :D

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    High Dairy & High Carb IS my diet. And it works fabulously.

The mac n cheese diet! <3 (My two favorite foods are pasta and cheese. Yes, you can eat both and be a healthy weight!)
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I am far form doing low carb. Low carb would simply not fill me up at all. I lost weight eating betere 100 to 180 g a day. Just CICO
  • Nmarine1996
    Nmarine1996 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Hello all, I decided when I hit 301lbs at 20 yrs old (I'm 5'8) that it was time for me to lose weight. Fast forward 5 months later and I am now 245lbs. I feel the best I have ever felt in my own skin. I have 55lbs more to go. However, I recently started doing low carb (50 carbs or less). I still feel energized because I am very good at finding health alternatives to my favorite foods like pizza, tacos, fried chicken, etc. However, this low carb lifestyle is just becoming a huge headache and I'm finding it to be nearly inpossible for it to be a lifestyle I would maintain in the future. My fitness instructor recommended 50 grams or less so that I'll burn more fat but I dont know anymore.

So if anyone can offer advice or share you success stories of not going low carb it would be greatly appreciated! If you don't mind can you provide an estimate of how many grams you ate in a day? Thanks in advanced!

The bolded words are key to your success. Don't complicate this any more than it needs to be. You lost most of your weight eating carbs, right? You already know it can be done. You can go low carb if you want, but don't do it because someone else told you to do it. Do it because you want to - or not.

I lost weight and have been maintaining that loss all while eating moderate to sometimes high carb meals. I've been at goal for about 6 years now with no plans to stop. The most important thing to me is that my eating habits are permanently sustainable. And I have no medical reason to limit carbs. For me, personally, life without carbs would suck. Therefore, low carb would not be sustainable.

Do what works for you! :D

Agreed!!! Thank you!!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

I am T2 diabetic and I eat around 150 g per day (35% of my total so I am considered moderate carb) so if even more carbs satisfies you, go for it. I was able to get off the diabetes meds in about 6 months and my numbers have been in the normal range ever since.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I love carbs.

When I first started losing weight, my carb levels were what I'd call moderate, but I've become more active on my way to losing 90 pounds.

I need carbs to fuel that activity. I mostly stick to whole grains, vegetables, and fruit for those carbs and my macro split is 50C - 30P - 20F. I really need some starch in my diet to feel satiated otherwise I tend to want to binge.