Has anyone lost weight without going low carb?

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    120+ lost while eating carbs. Keto works well for some folks, but it's not my thing.

Edited for: typos. Called it "Leto" :lol:
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Majority of my diet is carbs. 127 pounds lost since January doing that.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    118 pounds lost 3 years ago. I paid zero attention to my carbs.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned about keto is that being in ketosis makes your breath smell like your mouth is a trash can with a rotting squirrel in it... seriously... just for that reason I would avoid keto diets, The smell of keto breath is sometimes described as "fruity" but it doesn't smell like fruit, it smells like garbage in the sun. Who wants to smell bad?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Even though Dr.Atkins proven to not die of heart attack due to low carb, this thread has truly opened my eyes. This under 50 carbs a day is not sustainable. Maybe under 100 or less?

Keto works if daily carbs are below 50. Anything above that isn't really low carb and not worth the trouble to name. Weight loss is all about energy balance. Carbs and protein have 4 calories per gram. Fat has 9 calories per gram. Eat a colorful variety of foods and count calories. Stop eating while still in a calorie deficit. Enjoy.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go low carb to lose weight. It's just one method that appeals to lots of people because it allows them to eat high fat foods that taste good instead of eating rabbit food all day like most diets offer. It also comes with the added luxury of not having to work out. let's be honest, everyone wants their weight loss as easily as they can get it. It's good that you recognize that your current diet isn't sustainable, it's not cut out for everyone. If I were you, maybe look into keeping carbs somewhat restricted but allowing yourself say 100g carbs a day. That should greatly increase your food choices and leave plenty of room to mix your cravings into your diet. It's personally how I diet. I'm able to mix in burgers, tacos, ice cream and the like (reasonably portioned) to my daily meals which leaves little to crave elsewhere.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Started 354 never paid attention to low carb. I try not to eat carbs all day but I don't count them. If I eat a burger I eat half the bun, etc. 90lbs Down.

I was told (and someone can correct me) that if you go low/no carb how your body processes it is different and weight loss is faster it is very hard to add it back in your diet.

I work my tail off and the gym, eat reasonably, drink water and sleep good. No pills, no meds, no nothing...can't speak for anyone else but it is working for me.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    So far, yes.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yep *raises hand* This girl.
    80 lbs down eating roughly 50% of daily macro split in carbs.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes to carbs a lot of people who are "low carb" are also counting NET carbs rather than actual total carbs eaten. I haven't personally ever gotten that advanced but I think it makes a difference.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'm intrigued by the posts about low carb being invented for body builders and not being sustainable long-term. I'd be interested in seeing links. I've been low carb for years and have read plenty of studies and articles and have never come across that before, so OP, I wouldn't necessarily take that as gospel. ;) (e.g. There are plenty of diabetics who eat this way long-term. I reversed prediabetes eating low carb and plan to eat this way long-term because for me, it's had a lot of benefits. So far so good and my doctors are all aware and supportive.)

You definitely don't have to do low carb if you don't like it; it's certainly not for everyone and definitely not the only way to lose weight. Sounds like you're leaning away from it anyway but if you end up reconsidering low carb, do some research on trustworthy sources and see what you think.

• BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've lost 63 pounds since Jan2017 following what I call a "moderate carb" plan, which for my 2000 calories/day comes to 150 g carbs (30%), 150 g protein (30%) and 89 g fat (40%). I'm also a T2 diabetic (& take insulin) who has found it best for me to eat 4 meals/day spaced 3 hours apart from about 9am to 6pm in an effort to keep my "carb load" at each meal fairly consistent which helps to normalize my insulin injections.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My diet = mostly veggies, fruit, grains, and tons of dairy. There's no reason to limit any food group unless you don't like it or have a medical intolerance to it.
  • Akmauser
    Akmauser Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just watch my calories and nothing more; however, a friend from college is doing keto without watching his calories and he leveled off after losing 30 pounds several months ago. My carbs average around 200 a day, which is 50 lower than it states for my minimum. Sugar and salt is another issue. Not uncommon for me to be 40 grams over on sugar and 400 grams over on sodium. Currently averaging 2.6 pounds lost per week since starting with MFP.
  • womanisadevil
    womanisadevil Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I ate four slices of bread today Lol!
    Carbs are my weakness. If so don't eat em I'll binge.
    Down over 20lbs since April. :smile: