Things You Want To Tell MFP Newbies

Options

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    All good stuff!
    Mine would be:
    Stop looking for big (insert complaint here, weight loss, muscle growth, body shape) improvements after a week or 2. It took time to get in the condition you are in. It's not going to change overnight.

No, 2lbs per week/ 1200 calories is not not best just because you are impatient. You can do this right or fast. Pick one.
  • namedforthemoon
    namedforthemoon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    They should read the below thread by @diannethegeek , simply because she compiled a thread with a bunch of great links from all the common questions that we see over and over in the forums. Advanced forum users might request the list of how many different variations she compiled as to what forum members consider "clean eating".

I like old posts and I cannot lie

Thank you for posting this. I am somewhat new and am finding the links and information really helpful! :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    There's no need to demonize "junk" foods. Cut down on how much you eat, sure, but it isn't the devil.

"You need breakfast to kickstart your metabolism." So what, now you're a zombie? Your metabolism runs 24/7/365.

Herbalife/Shakeology/ItWorks/Thrive/etc. is just a marketing ploy.

Spot reduction is impossible outside of a surgical setting.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Eating more will not boost weight loss.
    Sugar addiction is a trendy, bogus myth.
    Apple Cider Vinegar helped me lose 75 pounds. :p

I want to know who those two people you fooled are
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Eating more will not boost weight loss.
    Sugar addiction is a trendy, bogus myth.
    Apple Cider Vinegar helped me lose 75 pounds. :p

I want to know who those two people you fooled are

LOL.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    There is a search button.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Stay away from APPLE CIDER VINEGAR :weary: and Facebook MLM scams.
    You want to L-O-S-E weight. Not loose it. :|

Sorry, but this too.

• katydougherty
    katydougherty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Newbie here. I am on anti-depressants which it is a proven fact they can pack the weight on. I got fat one other time (not quite as big as I am now), but went off the meds and the weight just kind of fell off. I had to make a choice-fat and happy or skinny and depressed. As bad as I hate being fat, I hate the depression worse. After trying dieting a few times and failing telling myself I didn't care, I recently found my motivation. My sister whom I just recently started speaking to again, had lost 30 lbs. since I last saw her which I think was around Christmas. I said to myself, if she can do it, so can I. Fast forward 5 weeks and I've lost 14.2 lbs. I am a VERY picky eater and it's hard to diet when I don't eat the normal diet foods other people eat (nothing green). I eat 1200 or less calories a day and I try to do 10 miles a day on the recumbent bike and I have some 5 lb weights I lift overhead about 50 per arm a day and sometimes a few sit ups (HATE sit ups lol). I started at 203 and would like to get to 140-150, so still a long way to go. I have a co-worker that is also fat (but she's short too-I'm 5'7") that is purposely trying to sabotage my diet. She brought in sweets THREE times in a week and repeatedly asked me if I wanted some. Then she tells me she's lost more weight than I have, but she's eating sweets and doesn't work out. Really???? Any advice would be helpful.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Newbie here. I am on anti-depressants which it is a proven fact they can pack the weight on. I got fat one other time (not quite as big as I am now), but went off the meds and the weight just kind of fell off. I had to make a choice-fat and happy or skinny and depressed. As bad as I hate being fat, I hate the depression worse. After trying dieting a few times and failing telling myself I didn't care, I recently found my motivation. My sister whom I just recently started speaking to again, had lost 30 lbs. since I last saw her which I think was around Christmas. I said to myself, if she can do it, so can I. Fast forward 5 weeks and I've lost 14.2 lbs. I am a VERY picky eater and it's hard to diet when I don't eat the normal diet foods other people eat (nothing green). I eat 1200 or less calories a day and I try to do 10 miles a day on the recumbent bike and I have some 5 lb weights I lift overhead about 50 per arm a day and sometimes a few sit ups (HATE sit ups lol). I started at 203 and would like to get to 140-150, so still a long way to go. I have a co-worker that is also fat (but she's short too-I'm 5'7") that is purposely trying to sabotage my diet. She brought in sweets THREE times in a week and repeatedly asked me if I wanted some. Then she tells me she's lost more weight than I have, but she's eating sweets and doesn't work out. Really???? Any advice would be helpful.

Congratulations on the weight loss, but I think you missed the idea of the thread. The whole thing has been providing the advice & links that, as experienced members, we see that people need. However, if you desire more personal advice and input, you should copy this post on a thread of your own so it will be visible to more people. Wish you the best :)
  • katydougherty
    katydougherty Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes, I realized after the fact that I wasn't really posting to the appropriate category, but I am a newbie so I went with it. LOL I also posted mine after nutmegoreo wrote something, but I hadn't read it yet and it makes me feel bad for saying my co-worker was trying to sabotage me, but I KNOW she is. Multiple things she's done and said, but I just needed to vent a bit.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yes, I realized after the fact that I wasn't really posting to the appropriate category, but I am a newbie so I went with it. LOL I also posted mine after nutmegoreo wrote something, but I hadn't read it yet and it makes me feel bad for saying my co-worker was trying to sabotage me, but I KNOW she is. Multiple things she's done and said, but I just needed to vent a bit.

Don't feel bad. Each case is individual. I see a few different things going on in your post.

ETA: I see you started your own thread. I'll respond over there.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to people who have 1,000s or 10,000s (!) of posts and have not lost weight and / or maintained a loss.

People who are succeeding or have succeeded have figured out what works for them, and when they share that, it can be quite valuable. From the "right" people, you can get very helpful ideas about how to make this process and change work for you. In some ways, weight loss is easy, child-level arithmetic. But living it day in and day out, over time, is a whole other conversation, and I'd say it's worth taking a second to double-check who is speaking to you.

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    So a person with dyslexia can't learn to sift the real from the woo? How about a person for whom English is their second (or third or fourth) language? And typos are a thing.
  • amysteri
    amysteri Posts: 197 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Be PATIENT ...If you haven't lost weight or gained muscle in 1 week or 2 calm down. It's not the end of the world.

Be CONSISTENT ...in logging every meal you eat!

Be ACCURATE ...about the number of calories you've eaten. Invest in a food scale! You can get them for $10 online. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy.

Be COMMITTED ...no amount of outside motivation will help if you can't be committed to your weight loss/gain/or maintenance plan.

Be CONSIDERATE ...to other MFP members. We are all on our own journey here whether it be to lose, gain or maintain.

Be RESPECTFUL ...we come from different religions, cultures, countries. English may not be everyone's 1st language. But I'm sure we can still get along and communicate :smile:

Be OPEN-MINDED ...we are not all on the same diet. And we all have our own opinions on food, exercise, etc. We all come from different cultural backgrounds. And we all live different lifestyles.

And most importantly... DON'T VILIFY FOOD... coz I love my Rice, Soy, and Nutella :p lol

And don't be shy to ask for help and post in the forum. Even if English isn't your 1st language. I'm sure the language you speak is cool anyway and we all wish we could speak a language other than English so we can become culturally rich and educated in the world... This is a Health&Fitness place anyway, not an ESL online school ;) ...And remember we are all here because we all need help. So let's help each other instead of bringing each other down :) PEACE!

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Yep. Okay. Instead of ignoring the point I was attempting to make, let's just go along with miseducation then, in order to fully disservice anyone attempting to learn.

Over and out.