Things You Want To Tell MFP Newbies

Options

Replies

• dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Avoid books written by bro-scientist about food/diets and miracle cures. They are bogus and are not the bees knees. They were not written by people concerned with your health, they were written by people that want to earn a lot of money.
    The food industry is not the enemy (not you best friend either) They are business and make food as safe as they can, most of them are run by decent people.
    Anybody can call themselves nutritionists. Dieticians need to have had a proper education in nutritional science.

Give it time. Lots of it You did not gain weight overnight, you will not loose it overnight
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Understand CICO and then figure out what works for YOU to reach your goal! Don't try to force yourself into some magical box, there are so many ways to get there.
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Medication does not cause weight gain. It MAY stimulate your appetite but you have control over what goes in your body.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Yep. Okay. Instead of ignoring the point I was attempting to make, let's just go along with miseducation then, in order to fully disservice anyone attempting to learn.

Over and out.

I don't mean to be snarky, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows it's lose weight not loose weight. I have never heard someone say, "I want to loose weight."

I've seen people write on here, "I need to loose or I want to loose", but I would assume that's a typo or maybe English isn't their first language etc. and so forth.

And tbh, correct spelling/grammar has nothing to do with losing weight.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    Yep. Okay. Instead of ignoring the point I was attempting to make, let's just go along with miseducation then, in order to fully disservice anyone attempting to learn.

Over and out.

I don't mean to be snarky, but I'm pretty sure everyone knows it's lose weight not loose weight. I have never heard someone say, "I want to loose weight."

I've seen people write on here, "I need to loose or I want to loose", but I would assume that's a typo or maybe English isn't their first language etc. and so forth.

And tbh, correct spelling/grammar has nothing to do with losing weight.

No but education and truth are education and truth. I wasn't making fun or being judgemental. And being healthy is more than just losing weight, many times it's becoming educated regarding various things, so one thing leads to another. The ability to accept and retain knowledge.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Okay, but neither a disability that impacts spelling, a difficulty in picking up a new language, nor a thumb that slips preclude an ability to accept and retain knowledge.
  • SuperCarLori
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Okay, but neither a disability that impacts spelling, a difficulty in picking up a new language, nor a thumb that slips preclude an ability to accept and retain knowledge.

I'd say, of course on the disability, and picking up a new language indicates a certain degree of intelligence, henceforth a desire to learn correctly, appreciating someone giving proper correction and a 'slip' also falls into the of course that isn't my point category.

Many people don't appreciate glossing over of mistakes. Many people appreciate correct, true knowledge.

Edit to add that as a vociferous reader, having never heard the word pronounced (or just plain not connecting the pronunciation to the word), I went for two decades believing the word 'misled' (miss-lead) to be pronounced MY-CELLED. I was a bit embarrassed to learn the truth, but was very appreciative, as well. I also wondered why nobody told me sooner!

I get it. It's much easier to communicate a need or desire to a large group of people using properly spelled and structured language.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    You want to L-O-S-E weight. Not loose it. :|

Dear MFP newbie, I don't care if you use lose or loose as I know exactly what you meant. I appreciate the fact that it took a lot of courage to write your first or second post (or even your 50th), shared your backstory and am amazed by your determination and efforts to improve your weight and/or health.

Oh for heaven's SAKE and crying out loud!!!! We ALL understand what they mean. If a person can't be bothered to be educated on a misspelling, then they may just be doomed when it comes to say...being educated regarding myths, activity levels, plateaus or accurate logging.

Really, can't be bothered to educate themselves? How about people whose first language isn't English or people who through no fault of their own didn't achieve the same education as you? And just because a person uses lose or loose in the wrong context that makes them doomed about everything else weight loss or health related? Come on really?

Incorrect spelling or use of a word doesn't make a person stupid, there a lot of intelligent people as well incredibly successful people (in life and their profession) who can't spell, doesn't hinder then and nor should it.
  • SuperCarLori
    edited July 2017
    Options
    *sadly shakes head*

The purposeful, deliberate misunderstanding of my pov doesn't equal victory. My successful husband can't spell worth a damn, but he welcomes correction, out of desire for furthering himself. Isn't that what we're all here for?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Most people are here to lose weight, get fit, etc. It can be nerve-wracking enough posting a question to a forum and hoping that nobody mocks you for, perhaps, not knowing something basic. Your first reply? "The proper spelling of X is Y." Maybe it's polite, maybe it's gentle. But it may be the only thing in the post. But wait... there are three more responses. All of which were being typed at the same time, before the first one went up. And all of which are some variation on, "For crying out loud, it's spelled Y!"

Result: Nervous first-time poster feels bullied. They don't check the time stamps to see that all four posts went up in the space of a minute. They see that they were dog-piled over a mistake. Now, let's say that the nervous first-time poster is also ESL, dyslexic, or just made a simple typo. It's all well and good to say that you don't mean to include them in your earlier statement. But trust me, they will feel included. Nervous first-time poster becomes an upset, possibly angry, likely discouraged last-time poster.

(Full disclosure: I have some free-floating anxiety issues and tend to bottle up stress to unhealthy levels at times. I have a sister with dyslexia.) Now, it's one thing to want correction when you're submitting a formal report, an essay, a story, etc. But on a message board? I'm just happy I'm not trying to decipher chat-speak.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    Most people are here to lose weight, get fit, etc. It can be nerve-wracking enough posting a question to a forum and hoping that nobody mocks you for, perhaps, not knowing something basic. Your first reply? "The proper spelling of X is Y." Maybe it's polite, maybe it's gentle. But it may be the only thing in the post. But wait... there are three more responses. All of which were being typed at the same time, before the first one went up. And all of which are some variation on, "For crying out loud, it's spelled Y!"

Result: Nervous first-time poster feels bullied. They don't check the time stamps to see that all four posts went up in the space of a minute. They see that they were dog-piled over a mistake. Now, let's say that the nervous first-time poster is also ESL, dyslexic, or just made a simple typo. It's all well and good to say that you don't mean to include them in your earlier statement. But trust me, they will feel included. Nervous first-time poster becomes an upset, possibly angry, likely discouraged last-time poster.

(Full disclosure: I have some free-floating anxiety issues and tend to bottle up stress to unhealthy levels at times. I have a sister with dyslexia.) Now, it's one thing to want correction when you're submitting a formal report, an essay, a story, etc. But on a message board? I'm just happy I'm not trying to decipher chat-speak.

I don't come to the forums correcting spelling. I rarely comment at all. It's like high school all over again. The only reason it even went this far was an attempt to defend my POV, which, in retrospect, I should have kept to myself, as usual. I know many people who won't participate in the general forum because of this exact situation. Which tends to be a disservice in itself. To all of us.

Newbies, however you spell it, losing fat is a good thing. Whatever you do, keep right on trying. High five.

• TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    MFP... why can't we delete posts?? My advice noobs and I'm a noob myself. Be careful what you post, I haven't found the delete button.
  • SuperCarLori
    Options
    TorStar80 wrote: »
    MFP... why can't we delete posts?? My advice noobs and I'm a noob myself. Be careful what you post, I haven't found the delete button.

EXCELLENT advice!! High five!
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    amysteri wrote: »
    Be PATIENT ...If you haven't lost weight or gained muscle in 1 week or 2 calm down. It's not the end of the world.

Be CONSISTENT ...in logging every meal you eat!

Be ACCURATE ...about the number of calories you've eaten. Invest in a food scale! You can get them for $10 online. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy.

Be COMMITTED ...no amount of outside motivation will help if you can't be committed to your weight loss/gain/or maintenance plan.

Be CONSIDERATE ...to other MFP members. We are all on our own journey here whether it be to lose, gain or maintain.

Be RESPECTFUL ...we come from different religions, cultures, countries. English may not be everyone's 1st language. But I'm sure we can still get along and communicate :smile:

Be OPEN-MINDED ...we are not all on the same diet. And we all have our own opinions on food, exercise, etc. We all come from different cultural backgrounds. And we all live different lifestyles.

And most importantly... DON'T VILIFY FOOD... coz I love my Rice, Soy, and Nutella :p lol

And don't be shy to ask for help and post in the forum. Even if English isn't your 1st language. I'm sure the language you speak is cool anyway and we all wish we could speak a language other than English so we can become culturally rich and educated in the world... This is a Health&Fitness place anyway, not an ESL online school ;) ...And remember we are all here because we all need help. So let's help each other instead of bringing each other down :) PEACE!

This :+1:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited July 2017
    Options

@TorStar80 On the post you want deleted (using the app) press the 3 circles at the top right of your post. Select report, and "this is my post and I want to delete it."
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

To be fair, even those who have been around a while have to be careful about what they post too. I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated.

The post above me explains how to delete from the app. If you are on the website, hit the flag button under the post you want deleted, then the report, and from the options that pop up, "this is my post and I want to delete it."
  • TorStar80
    TorStar80 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

To be fair, even those who have been around a while have to be careful about what they post too. I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated.

The post above me explains how to delete from the app. If you are on the website, hit the flag button under the post you want deleted, then the report, and from the options that pop up, "this is my post and I want to delete it."

Thanks I appreciate the tip. It does seem a little complicated but at least it's an option :) any idea how long it takes for a post to be removed?

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Thanks I appreciate the tip. It does seem a little complicated but at least it's an option :) any idea how long it takes for a post to be removed?

Depends on how many reports are in and if there are mods around. I've seen it happen quickly, and other times, it takes a while. Not much help, sorry.
  • haroldrios1692
    haroldrios1692 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    its not that hard seriously its not, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get lean and feel healthy. Find someone who's already done it and follow their advice....oh and long term consistency is the key. This takes time!!