Ask an Aussie

Options

Replies

• sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Are you afraid of all the deadly wildlife that lives near you? I mean spiders mainly. I hate those darn things, throw deadly bites n stings in the mix and I'm done. I'd literally be petrified all the time if I was in Oz

Yeah no not at all. Any non australians that live here always seemed to be terrified. Also when you live in the cities theres not that many deadly wildlife around. Im from Brisbane..
    But yeah only the other day a friend was bitten by a funnelweb spider very deadly and could have died if she didnt get to hospital soon enough..
    But ya know. She'll be right, mate ;)
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Vinehausen wrote: »
    NO, never ask an Australian for the answers to anything. If you want the truth and correct answers, ask a New Zealander :D

Maybe true, but kiwis are terrified of our "deadly wildlife" they dont have any thing scary over there
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    is your favourite movie "Chasing Great"

Hahaha... Nah Bro.. " The Castle"

Hahah! Actually gives a lot of insight as to how alot of australians live. And we quote that movie constantly!
    ..... "tell him he's dreaming!"
    We say alot!
  • slowclydesdale
    slowclydesdale Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    At ~ 6'0" and 200 lbs (read 1.8m and 90.8 kg), could the average kangaroo kick Conor McGregor's *kitten*? ;)
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    How would you describe the flavour of Vegemite?

It tastes like death, it taste like acid!
    Not all australians like vegemite
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Do you have hillbillies there?

Do they live in Adelaide or Perth?

Yeah but we call them bogans.
    Adelaide if full of them!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    I'm told most of the pop is on the coast and that central aus is pretty much deserted with the only folks that tend to live there and to the north are the natives. Dis true bro?

Does this help? A lot of grey right?
    2.39CC!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

question:

why so few folks living on the north coast?

.... spiders ?

snakes ?

crocs ?

Living in Darwin, in the north of Australia is a love/hate relationship for most. There are only two seasons, wet and dry season. The dry season is the winter, where the lowest temp if yr lucky is 15 degrees celcuis in the morning then up to 32+ celcuis during the day with low humidity, again if yr lucky.
    Yes the harbour and the rivers are full of crocs with over 100 salt water crocs removed from the harbour evey year. There are more crocodiles in the NT than people. If you swim up here in the ocean u take yr life into yr own hands. Most people dont as there are stingers and box jelly fish in the ocean, mainly between Sept and Mar, that could kill a child, as well as the crocs too etc
    During the dry season, there is no rain at all, from May to say sometimes Oct. From around late Aug to Sep the build up starts, with high humidity and still no rain. It is called the troppo season, as people start to go crazy as it becomes sooooo hot!

In the wet season, Oct to April, when it finally arrives, there is alot of rain, like metres and it can flood making roads impassable. The storms are amazing and Darwin is subject to tropical cyclones with can be very destructive.

So overall we r tropical and remote, have the highest population of indigenous Australians, have Kakadu National Park, Uluru (Ayres Rock) and some amazing fishing, hunting and sites to see and travel too. The country is super remote and beautiful, but unforgiving to.
    It is really worth a visit if u want to experience the real Australian outback. This where a lot of it is up here.

But be warned the mosquitos bite and we have the deadliest snakes in the world and thats if the locals dont get u first! Lol

Homeslice, thanks for the reply; that was quite the run down.

..... and the warning.

In my view, crocs are effin' dinosaurs with the sole purpose of eating whatever they want, including you & me.
    More crocs than people ? I'm scared of being eaten alive; that would suck.

mosquitos, snakes, spiders.... sheesh, no thanks.

I'll just fend off a car-jacker or two in the city instead. At least a car-jacker isn't trying to eat me.

All things being equal, I'll set my sights on Sydney or Adelaide.

My dad lived in Brisbane (1000 years ago ) and loved it. That's probably about as far traveling north for me.

thanks again, most appreciated.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    I'm told most of the pop is on the coast and that central aus is pretty much deserted with the only folks that tend to live there and to the north are the natives. Dis true bro?

question:

.... spiders ?

snakes ?

crocs ?

Living in Darwin, in the north of Australia is a love/hate relationship for most. There are only two seasons, wet and dry season. The dry season is the winter, where the lowest temp if yr lucky is 15 degrees celcuis in the morning then up to 32+ celcuis during the day with low humidity, again if yr lucky.
    Yes the harbour and the rivers are full of crocs with over 100 salt water crocs removed from the harbour evey year. There are more crocodiles in the NT than people. If you swim up here in the ocean u take yr life into yr own hands. Most people dont as there are stingers and box jelly fish in the ocean, mainly between Sept and Mar, that could kill a child, as well as the crocs too etc
    During the dry season, there is no rain at all, from May to say sometimes Oct. From around late Aug to Sep the build up starts, with high humidity and still no rain. It is called the troppo season, as people start to go crazy as it becomes sooooo hot!

In the wet season, Oct to April, when it finally arrives, there is alot of rain, like metres and it can flood making roads impassable. The storms are amazing and Darwin is subject to tropical cyclones with can be very destructive.

So overall we r tropical and remote, have the highest population of indigenous Australians, have Kakadu National Park, Uluru (Ayres Rock) and some amazing fishing, hunting and sites to see and travel too. The country is super remote and beautiful, but unforgiving to.
    It is really worth a visit if u want to experience the real Australian outback. This where a lot of it is up here.

But be warned the mosquitos bite and we have the deadliest snakes in the world and thats if the locals dont get u first! Lol

..... and the warning.

In my view, crocs are effin' dinosaurs with the sole purpose of eating whatever they want, including you & me.

I'll just fend off a car-jacker or two in the city instead. At least a car-jacker isn't trying to eat me.

My dad lived in Brisbane (1000 years ago ) and loved it. That's probably about as far traveling north for me.

I'd keep you safe.. :smooched:
  • Motorsheen
    Options
    Do you have hillbillies there?

Do they live in Adelaide or Perth?

Yeah but we call them bogans.
    Adelaide if full of them!

Ha.

one of my best friends is from Adelaide; no hillbilly
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Are you afraid of all the deadly wildlife that lives near you? I mean spiders mainly. I hate those darn things, throw deadly bites n stings in the mix and I'm done. I'd literally be petrified all the time if I was in Oz

how many spiders and snakes do you see in a day/month/year? Since I have never lived outside australia I have no way to know if austalia is overrun by snakes and spiders or if people out side australia are believing a lie.

In the country you see them alot more. Not much in Brisbane city.
    But yeah maybe you would see a snake once a year... if you go to national parks every weekend. They do sometimes like to come in your house snakes actually like being inside.. but it doesn't happen all the time, has never happened to me.

When i was a kid there was a few snakes that went into our pool area.. which my dad killed by chopping in half with a shovel.. i guess thats pretty aussie!

We do have some pretty gross spiders you see more often differing in the states. Definitely had a few huntsmans in the house though.
    Google that *kitten*!
  • Motorsheen
    Options

question:

.... spiders ?

snakes ?

crocs ?

..... and the warning.

Ha; lol.... that didn't take long.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Do you have a hard time understanding the accents of English speaking people from other countries? If so what ones?

Not really... some thick spanish or south american accents maybe.
    Actually alot of us struggle to understand heavy irish accents
  • Motorsheen
    Options

how many spiders and snakes do you see in a day/month/year? Since I have never lived outside australia I have no way to know if austalia is overrun by snakes and spiders or if people out side australia are believing a lie.

But yeah maybe you would see a snake once a year... if you go to national parks every weekend. They do sometimes like to come in your house snakes actually like being inside.. but it doesn't happen all the time, has never happened to me.

When i was a kid there was a few snakes that went into our pool area.. which my dad killed by chopping in half with a shovel.. i guess thats pretty aussie!

We do have some pretty gross spiders you see more often differing in the states. Definitely had a few huntsmans in the house though.
    Google that *kitten*!

we have rattle snakes here

I was on a morning training run when I saw some shadows from a tree branch on the road.

as I got closer to the shadows, they started to move towards me.

I did a 180 and made it a much shorter run than originally planned
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Do you really spend your day cookin shrimps on the BARBY

Yes we do. But i think its normally, steak, lamb or sausages
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Do you really spend your day cookin shrimps on the BARBY

Yes we do. But i think its normally, steak, lamb or sausages

Tbh ..I call em prawns..I was told they used the word shrimp so americans could identify with it better
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

Google that *kitten*!

..I made the mistake of googling. What in the actual hell. How is Australia not up in flames from all the nope..?

• Motorsheen
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    Do you have a hard time understanding the accents of English speaking people from other countries? If so what ones?

[ Actually a lot of us struggle to understand heavy irish accents

stand in line.

I had to switch on the English subtitles for the last Guy Ritchie film I watched; trooth!
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

question:

.... spiders ?

snakes ?

crocs ?

..... and the warning.

Ha; lol.... that didn't take long.

I wanted to say something about getting eaten, but Im on points :wink: