Options

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    What is Vegemite and Marmite and what is the difference? And what does it taste like and how do you use it?

From Wikipedia:

"Vegemite (/ˈvɛdʒᵻmaɪt/ VEJ-ə-myt)[2][3] is a thick, black Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives"

Marmite is similar, but imo tastes weaker, and is more runny in consistency.

Both are used as a savoury spread on bread/toast/crackers, often with cheese. You can use them in dishes to add flavour,but that's not overly common I don't think.

It's Vegemite flavoured. Very salty. Very concentrated yeasty?

and where people seem to go wrong, is they treat it like peanut butter and spread it on thick

vegemite-toast.jpg

I treat it like peanut butter. I'm clearly not dead.

but did you spread it like peanut butter the first time you ate it? or did you build up to that over years?

I don't remember..... I was too young! I've had it thick for as long as I remember.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    What is Vegemite and Marmite and what is the difference? And what does it taste like and how do you use it?

From Wikipedia:

"Vegemite (/ˈvɛdʒᵻmaɪt/ VEJ-ə-myt)[2][3] is a thick, black Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives"

Both are used as a savoury spread on bread/toast/crackers, often with cheese. You can use them in dishes to add flavour,but that's not overly common I don't think.

and where people seem to go wrong, is they treat it like peanut butter and spread it on thick

vegemite-toast.jpg

I eat it probably in between beginner and regular user. I agree I think visitors possibly smear it on too thick first up.
  • bigaussieguy71
    bigaussieguy71 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

From Wikipedia:

vegemite-toast.jpg

I eat it probably in between beginner and regular user. I agree I think visitors possibly smear it on too thick first up.

For me it depends how I'm feeling...I range between all 3. I agree though about rookies building up to it, nothing bothers me more than seeing vids with people doing Vegemite taste tests and they are handed a jar and a teaspoon, it would be like an American saying they love cinnamon then handing you a full teaspoon to try!
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

From Wikipedia:

vegemite-toast.jpg

For me it depends how I'm feeling...I range between all 3. I agree though about rookies building up to it, nothing bothers me more than seeing vids with people doing Vegemite taste tests and they are handed a jar and a teaspoon, it would be like an American saying they love cinnamon then handing you a full teaspoon to try!

I actually don't eat it a lot but every so often I crave it. I think its when I need a salt hit
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    I'm told most of the pop is on the coast and that central aus is pretty much deserted with the only folks that tend to live there and to the north are the natives. Dis true bro?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

From Wikipedia:

vegemite-toast.jpg

I think its when I need a salt hit

well, good morning !
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

From Wikipedia:

vegemite-toast.jpg

I think its when I need a salt hit

well, good morning !

Good morning love bug :smooched:
  • LotusCass
    LotusCass Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Do your Christmas decorations include wintery things (snowflakes, evergreens, santa on a sled in a warm coat) even though it is summer for you?

Yes! There are people who "Australianise" their decorations, but that's not Christmas to me. Christmas in July is kind of popular - people have Christmas food, not so much decorations, to take advantage of the winter feel :D

We have lots of great Aussie Christmas carols. Santa wear your shorts is a good one, and Aussie jingle bells is great.
  • LotusCass
    Options
    bobtater1 wrote: »
    So does kangaroo taste like chicken? Anything out of the ordinary here in the States we say tastes like chicken ie dog,cat, rattlesnake, ect.

No, nothing like chicken. It's red meat, with a strong taste. It kind of stinks actually, but it's ok when cooked in to things. I'm not a massive fan of it cooked as a steak

I LOVE. A good roasted roo.
  • LotusCass
    Options
    Im an Aussie living in London now and the number of people who've said they could never come to Aus because of the spiders is crazy! If that's keeping you from visiting peeps, don't let it worry you. You see them sure, but I don't know anyone who's been bitten badly by a spider. Little ones sure, but not the baddies.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    I'm told most of the pop is on the coast and that central aus is pretty much deserted with the only folks that tend to live there and to the north are the natives. Dis true bro?

Does this help? A lot of grey right?
    2.39CC!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options

crazy eh! so much wasted land. Solar panel that *kitten* up
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    Do you actually speak Australian or is it actually glorified English?
  • Motorsheen
    Options

question:

why so few folks living on the north coast?

.... spiders ?

snakes ?

crocs ?
  • Merkavar
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    Do you actually speak Australian or is it actually glorified English?

I am not sure what that means?

is that like asking do americans speak american or glorified english?

Australians have their own accent. I would say australian is about as different to english as american is. Some similarities and some differences.
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

question:

.... spiders ?

snakes ?

crocs ?

For one its bloody hot up there ..plenty of crocs too :laugh:
  • Merkavar
    Options

question:

.... spiders ?

snakes ?

crocs ?

I am not to sure. So I googled it.

This is the answer I found.
    Outback.JPG
    https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-north-Australia-highly-populated
  • Motorsheen
    Options

question:

.... spiders ?

snakes ?

crocs ?

I am not to sure. So I googled it.

This is the answer I found.
    Outback.JPG
    https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-north-Australia-highly-populated

that looks like a lot of affordable real estate to me.
  • HarrisHawke8
    HarrisHawke8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

question:

.... spiders ?

snakes ?

crocs ?

Living in Darwin, in the north of Australia is a love/hate relationship for most. There are only two seasons, wet and dry season. The dry season is the winter, where the lowest temp if yr lucky is 15 degrees celcuis in the morning then up to 32+ celcuis during the day with low humidity, again if yr lucky.
    Yes the harbour and the rivers are full of crocs with over 100 salt water crocs removed from the harbour evey year. There are more crocodiles in the NT than people. If you swim up here in the ocean u take yr life into yr own hands. Most people dont as there are stingers and box jelly fish in the ocean, mainly between Sept and Mar, that could kill a child, as well as the crocs too etc
    During the dry season, there is no rain at all, from May to say sometimes Oct. From around late Aug to Sep the build up starts, with high humidity and still no rain. It is called the troppo season, as people start to go crazy as it becomes sooooo hot!

In the wet season, Oct to April, when it finally arrives, there is alot of rain, like metres and it can flood making roads impassable. The storms are amazing and Darwin is subject to tropical cyclones with can be very destructive.

So overall we r tropical and remote, have the highest population of indigenous Australians, have Kakadu National Park, Uluru (Ayres Rock) and some amazing fishing, hunting and sites to see and travel too. The country is super remote and beautiful, but unforgiving to.
    It is really worth a visit if u want to experience the real Australian outback. This where a lot of it is up here.

But be warned the mosquitos bite and we have the deadliest snakes in the world and thats if the locals dont get u first! Lol