Ask an Aussie

Options

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    bobtater1 wrote: »
    So does kangaroo taste like chicken? Anything out of the ordinary here in the States we say tastes like chicken ie dog,cat, rattlesnake, ect.

No, nothing like chicken. It's red meat, with a strong taste. It kind of stinks actually, but it's ok when cooked in to things. I'm not a massive fan of it cooked as a steak

Spot on, a full Roo steak is a lot to get through, I love the kebabs...it does smell a little and it is very gamey. If you don't like steak rare/medium rare then don't bother trying it...cooking it past that the meat becomes tough as old boots.

Can't help but even read your comments in an aussie accent. :smile:
  • bigaussieguy71
    bigaussieguy71 Posts: 189 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Phew...I think I caught up... Thanks to all the Aussie contributors for stepping in and thanks to the Kiwis for helping... It's almost like they are from Australia's 7th state being from New Zealand and let's face it the only real thing keeping that from happening is Australia...hahaha! (Love the banter my Kiwi friends... Keeping the tradition alive!)

Keep the questions coming!
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Do you give each other piggy back rides but call it something else like, bloke on bob, or uncle my back or something?

Hahahaha...nope, called the same thing... although you could "dink a mate on the handlebars of your pushie" (have a friend sit in the handlebars of your bike and give him a ride home)

Pretty sure that if I said that to a guy here (especially on mfp) I'd get a D pic.

I know, all their expressions sound oddly dirty. :lol:

• dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Phew...I think I caught up... Thanks to all the Aussie contributors for stepping in and thanks for to the Kiwis for helping to... It's almost like they are from Australia's 7th state being from New Zealand and let's face it the only real thing keeping that from happening is Australia...hahaha! (Love the banter my Kiwi friends... Keeping the tradition alive!)

Keep the questions coming!

Well, I am still confoozed
  • bigaussieguy71
    Options
    I hear Australia has some of the worlds most beautiful waterfalls. Is this true? And where are they? I have a trip to Australia on my bucket list.

Slimgirljo15? You'd have some up your neck of the woods yeah?
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    What's it like living upside down?
  • bigaussieguy71
    Options
    dc8066 wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »
    As an Australian, I notice a difference in accents between states - any other Aussies notice? (i think Eastern States accents sound more stereotypically Australian)

I have never heard someone speak and thought, oh you are from western australia etc

In regards to aussie accents, i actually hear that there is a real lack of regional accents, especially compared to places like the US or UK when it seems 20 metres down the road and you have a nearly different language.

Having a nomad as a father and pretty much spent time/lived in almost every State I can definitely hear the difference, and there is a distinct difference in common words for different States...ask a Victorian what a port was and they would tell you it is a bottle of plonk...having just moved from Melbourne to Brisbane before my first year of school, I cried on my first day because the teacher got angry at me because I wasn't putting my port in the port rack...I had no idea what the fukuck she was talking about!

Please 'splain'

Which part?

What was your teacher talking about?

In the State of Queensland a port is your school bag...so she was asking me to put my school bag in the bag rack...I had no idea what a port was so I got in trouble be for not doing as she asked. In the State of Victoria it is a school bag. That clear it up? :)
  • bigaussieguy71
    Options
    cee134 wrote: »
    What's it like living upside down?

Pretty easy really... Only gets annoying when you have to pee! ;)
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    As an Australian, I notice a difference in accents between states - any other Aussies notice? (i think Eastern States accents sound more stereotypically Australian)

I have never heard someone speak and thought, oh you are from western australia etc

In regards to aussie accents, i actually hear that there is a real lack of regional accents, especially compared to places like the US or UK when it seems 20 metres down the road and you have a nearly different language.

Having a nomad as a father and pretty much spent time/lived in almost every State I can definitely hear the difference, and there is a distinct difference in common words for different States...ask a Victorian what a port was and they would tell you it is a bottle of plonk...having just moved from Melbourne to Brisbane before my first year of school, I cried on my first day because the teacher got angry at me because I wasn't putting my port in the port rack...I had no idea what the fukuck she was talking about!

Please 'splain'

Which part?

In the State of Queensland a port is your school bag...so she was asking me to put my school bag in the bag rack...I had no idea what a port was so I got in trouble be for not doing as she asked. In the State of Victoria it is a school bag. That clear it up? :)

Yep, thanks, I'd be confused too, like how did she find out
  • bigaussieguy71
    Options

Please 'splain'

Which part?

Yep, thanks, I'd be confused too, like how did she find out

She stopped getting angry when I started crying... And she realised something was wrong..
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    I hear Australia has some of the worlds most beautiful waterfalls. Is this true? And where are they? I have a trip to Australia on my bucket list.

There are many beautiful falls..these are ones I've been to ..
    Millaa millaa falls
    1g7zprsztatp.png
    Josephine falls
    dxpfo30nkgtt.png
    Baron falls
    hp69v49tfhep.png

On my bucket list
    Ebor falls and a few others
    kj2w570dmh13.png

• Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Is is true that all Australians keep a jar of Vegemite in their fridge?
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sivadee00 wrote: »
    Is is true that all Australians keep a jar of marmite in their fridge?

:o ..vegemite not marmite. And this aussie has it in her cupboard :D
    Lol..saw your edit :D
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Sivadee00 wrote: »
    Is is true that all Australians keep a jar of Vegemite in their fridge?

I haven't asked, but ours is in the cupboard, not fridge.

ETA - Just remembered a friend never had Vegemite and used to subject us to marmite and cheese sandwiches after school when we went to her house. Blech. But there's at least one household without Vegemite I know of :D
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    What is Vegemite and Marmite and what is the difference? And what does it taste like and how do you use it?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    What is Vegemite and Marmite and what is the difference? And what does it taste like and how do you use it?

From Wikipedia:

"Vegemite (/ˈvɛdʒᵻmaɪt/ VEJ-ə-myt)[2][3] is a thick, black Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives"

Marmite is similar, but imo tastes weaker, and is more runny in consistency.

Both are used as a savoury spread on bread/toast/crackers, often with cheese. You can use them in dishes to add flavour,but that's not overly common I don't think.

It's Vegemite flavoured. Very salty. Very concentrated yeasty?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

From Wikipedia:

"Vegemite (/ˈvɛdʒᵻmaɪt/ VEJ-ə-myt)[2][3] is a thick, black Australian food spread made from leftover brewers' yeast extract with various vegetable and spice additives"

Both are used as a savoury spread on bread/toast/crackers, often with cheese. You can use them in dishes to add flavour,but that's not overly common I don't think.

and where people seem to go wrong, is they treat it like peanut butter and spread it on thick

vegemite-toast.jpg
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

From Wikipedia:

and where people seem to go wrong, is they treat it like peanut butter and spread it on thick

vegemite-toast.jpg

I treat it like peanut butter. I'm clearly not dead.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

From Wikipedia:

vegemite-toast.jpg

I treat it like peanut butter. I'm clearly not dead.

but did you spread it like peanut butter the first time you ate it? or did you build up to that over years?
  • soniaf
    soniaf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Difference between vegemite and marmite is, vegemite is delicious. No it's not kept in the fridge. Unless I am doing it wrong.