Calories in calories out is it that simple?

Options

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    People have died from drinking too much water....

I've heard of people getting orange skin from eating too many carrots.

I know someone in real life where this happened due to what he was eating-it was bizarre!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    "Eat literally anything" and ignore your nutritional needs hasn't been said in this thread (unless I missed it).
    It was a grammatical phrase of "Eating whatever even unhealthy".

Also, imo, "literally anything" includes anything, where nutritious or not.

Yes, that is what OP asked. And the first non-joke answer was "Yes, that will work for weight loss, but overall nutrition is important for health." Nobody has come in to contradict that and say that nutrition isn't important for health and that OP should ignore it.
    Earlier in this discussion I saw someone in a very general way advocating eating healthy foods, and a number of other people critiquing him. The gist of the critiques was that healthy eating is all subjective, and trying to explain it just confuses people.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to understand what "eat unhealthy" is.

An abundance of low nutrient dense foods.

Good thing we were saying the same thing all along...
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    "Eat literally anything" and ignore your nutritional needs hasn't been said in this thread (unless I missed it).

Yes, that is what OP asked. And the first non-joke answer was "Yes, that will work for weight loss, but overall nutrition is important for health." Nobody has come in to contradict that and say that nutrition isn't important for health and that OP should ignore it.
    Earlier in this discussion I saw someone in a very general way advocating eating healthy foods, and a number of other people critiquing him. The gist of the critiques was that healthy eating is all subjective, and trying to explain it just confuses people.

Because the concept of a "healthy food" is less useful than the concept of a "healthy diet." If we're thinking of the same post, that was the critique that was being made.

Healthy eating is subjective. Humans can thrive on a wide variety of diets. If someone asks for tips on how to improve their diet, I think it's perfectly appropriate for people to engage and offer tips based on their own experience. For someone who hasn't asked for that advice, it can be confusing to have people offering a bunch of (often contradictory) information. A hyperfocus on foods isn't that helpful to new dieters. A focus on the overall context of the diet and meeting nutritional needs is usually a good thing though.
    If healthy eating were subjective, there would be no nutritional science. It seems weird to me that in a forum where people are usually focused on science, we would shy away from it and retreat into relativism. Yes, there's a variety of good diets. There's also a variety of bad diets. There's a pretty strong scientific consensus on the basics of what makes for a healthy diet, though. And, except for some jokes about cider vinegar and Snickers, I didn't see any hyperfocusing on particular foods - all I really saw was basics.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Because the concept of a "healthy food" is less useful than the concept of a "healthy diet." If we're thinking of the same post, that was the critique that was being made.

Healthy eating is subjective. Humans can thrive on a wide variety of diets. If someone asks for tips on how to improve their diet, I think it's perfectly appropriate for people to engage and offer tips based on their own experience. For someone who hasn't asked for that advice, it can be confusing to have people offering a bunch of (often contradictory) information. A hyperfocus on foods isn't that helpful to new dieters. A focus on the overall context of the diet and meeting nutritional needs is usually a good thing though.
    If healthy eating were subjective, there would be no nutritional science. It seems weird to me that in a forum where people are usually focused on science, we would shy away from it and retreat into relativism. Yes, there's a variety of good diets. There's also a variety of bad diets. There's a pretty strong scientific consensus on the basics of what makes for a healthy diet, though. And, except for some jokes about cider vinegar and Snickers, I didn't see any hyperfocusing on particular foods - all I really saw was basics.

Yes, there are a variety of good and bad diets.

And there are people who say they are concerned with eating healthy who mean a huge range of things (even sometimes things that would be unhealthy for you or that may seem unhealthy under the current weight of the evidence, although they have their reasons -- wrong or not -- for disagreeing). There are also still genuine debates among experts.

So if someone says they eat a healthy diet, we know what that would mean to us and may think we know what it should mean, but we don't necessarily know what they mean by it. Thus, it's subjective.

I think it's a fine term to use, nonetheless, but it is subjective.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    That is actual not true. More than suggested micro nutrients can do harm and not all the excess is eliminated. Though our body is very clever and complex there are situations when it can accept more than needed.

Read below:
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/nutrition-vitamins-11/fat-water-nutrient?page=

This article is about supplements, not food. While you can certainly over-consume micronutrients in the form of supplements, there's little if any danger of getting harmful levels of micronutrients from foods, except possibly by juicing. And even then you'd have to drink an awful lot of juice regularly.

Coming back to celery etc.... an amount of celery that would fill your micronutrient needs (1 to 10 kg depending how many you want to fill) for the ones it contains would also give you between 4 and 40 times the vitamin K RDA.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    That is actual not true. More than suggested micro nutrients can do harm and not all the excess is eliminated. Though our body is very clever and complex there are situations when it can accept more than needed.

Read below:
    http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/nutrition-vitamins-11/fat-water-nutrient?page=

This article is about supplements, not food. While you can certainly over-consume micronutrients in the form of supplements, there's little if any danger of getting harmful levels of micronutrients from foods, except possibly by juicing. And even then you'd have to drink an awful lot of juice regularly.

Coming back to celery etc.... an amount of celery that would fill your micronutrient needs (1 to 10 kg depending how many you want to fill) for the ones it contains would also give you between 4 and 40 times the vitamin K RDA.

Hello DVT
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'd love to see an example of someone with a vitamin overdose due to diet, without supplementation.

And I'm pretty sure that's what stealthq was getting at as well that having too many vitamins can cause health issues.

I agree that with supplementation that is very possible, but eating a lot of fruits and veggies everyday is not going to cause this.

Vitamin A poisoning is very possible in people who eat liver or other animal products such as milk to excess. This is preformed Vitamin A.

Plant based Vitamin A or Carotenoids will not lead to Vitamin A poisoning but with prolonged over exposure will lead to a condition of the skin turning yellow/orange and increased lung cancer rates in people who also smoke with this over exposure or have contact with asbestos. This amount is believed to be 30 milligrams. Which is the equivalent of eating 8 or so raw carrots every single day for several years.

I've had orange palms for years. Reducing carotenoid containing fruit and vegetables didnt help to reduce it. From blood test results, I have ridiculously high beta carotene, but normal vit a. I would like to get rid of the orange though!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Surely everyone knows at least one person who lives on take away/ready meals/junk food and absolutely refuses to eat a single solitary fruit or vegetable! I have a family right next door to me who eats like this, and if they came on here asking "can i eat anything and still lose weight" they would 100% mean, can i eat the crap foods that made me super obese and still lose weight. Some people give no *kitten* about nutrition whatsoever.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Eating whatever even unhealthy staying within calories should you still lose weight?

Yes. You may lose out on a few other health benefits though.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,400 MFP Moderator
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    Eating whatever even unhealthy staying within calories should you still lose weight?

Like? While it's a N=1, the twinkie guy did improve every metabolic marker that was tested. Weight management, exercise and genetics are much bigger factors than the foods that you eat.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Like? While it's a N=1, the twinkie guy did improve every metabolic marker that was tested. Weight management, exercise and genetics are much bigger factors than the foods that you eat.

So did the McDonalds guy
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Too much salt - affects your blood pressure
    Too much sugar - contributes to diabetes
    Green leafy vegetables - needed for iron
    Citrus fruits - contribute to Vitamin C requirements
    Adequate water - cleanse the body of toxins

Many more I could mention but don't have the time now.

Only if you have blood pressure problems to begin with
    Completely false
    Other things have iron too
    Vitamin C is probably the nutrient with the least cases of people being deficient in, it's found in such high amounts in so many things
    Absolute bovine manure
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Surely everyone knows at least one person who lives on take away/ready meals/junk food and absolutely refuses to eat a single solitary fruit or vegetable! I have a family right next door to me who eats like this, and if they came on here asking "can i eat anything and still lose weight" they would 100% mean, can i eat the crap foods that made me super obese and still lose weight. Some people give no *kitten* about nutrition whatsoever.

You know what your neighbors eat for every meal?
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've been following Dr. Fuhrman's plan and added oils, including olive oil, are a 'no no', but I'm reevaluating my diet right now and may be getting away from his ETL protocol and instead just focus on a plant based diet without all the rules.
    Oh, I forgot you said that earlier. Sorry about that. Fuhrman's plan is naturally very low fat, I believe. It's one reason that I couldn't stay on it personally, I felt burnt-out and hungry all the time because I just feel better on a higher fat diet.

Yeah, I was looking at some recipes on his site just now -- trying to get all the fat you need from nuts and seeds, while eating a mostly-vegan diet -- would not work for me.

(as a side note: the minute I saw his post to the parents of a child with Type ONE diabetes telling them to bring her to him and they could cure her T1 with diet? Huge red flags about his methods for me. T1 is NOT T2.)