What was your aha moment that made you finally start a weight loss journey?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Watch_Me_Rise
    Watch_Me_Rise Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Like a few people, it was the doctor saying, "if you're still struggling losing weight, our next option is prescription medications..." Yeah that's a big no. That and I just want to be healthy for me and my family.
  • Knitwif
    Knitwif Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been trying off and on to lose weight for 30 or more years. I yo-yo like crazy. Food is my comfort. Then my husband had several attacks of acute pancreatitis. I found the entire medical process really aggravating and realized that I would be a miserable patient if I were to have to go through the same thing. It was then that I knew I needed to really take care of myself so that the next time one of us had an emergency (and that happens to everyone sooner or later) I'd be starting from a place of health. So I thought I would start logging, because statistically people that log are more successful at weight loss. I'm now down 44 pounds. It's been 18 months, so it's a sloooooow process, but I never deny myself something I really want, so I've been able to stay on track.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    oregonlady wrote: »
    my hubby died unexpectedly. :'(
    i was not the person i wanted to be. :|

I'm sorry for your loss :(
  • tracyd73
    tracyd73 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Turn 44 on the 7/15th...It came today with a phone call from Dr.
    Year of stomach issues weight gain.
    Test, show dairy allergy, wheat, barley, malt, and BEEF of all things. 30 day glutten, dairy diet no beef. I also have MS.
    I guess my body has had enough. Need to change diet and lose weight or die miserable. *sigh*
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I had agreed to do something I hadn't done in many years and knew I'd do it better if I were thinner and in better shape so I bit the bullet and worked really hard
  • DChelseaNYC
    DChelseaNYC Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I saw a video of myself, singing with a friend at a benefit for a cause I care very much about. I never saw myself as "fat" because I've always been pretty comfy, but lately felt that comfort begin to slip... I had come really close to hitting 200 and for someone who's 5'2", that's a problem. I made the decision that day that I needed to make a healthy change.
  • millerdan1
    millerdan1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    At the end of 2014 I came down with the flu. Went to the doctor and learned I weighed more than I'd ever weighed in my life. At the same time I realized that 2-3 pairs of pants with a larger waist size I'd bought only a couple months earlier were starting to get tight. I started walking, added in an elliptical trainer, and progressed to running. I also began using MFP to track my calories and weight. Hit my goal weight about 7 months later. Since then I've run 3 half marathons and am currently training for a fourth. Went from 214 to185lbs and have more less maintained for 18 months now.
  • bossyfairy
    bossyfairy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Main reason is I don't feel healthy / good about myself and I am getting pretty close to being 40.

But stupidly on Friday I asked my boyfriend (of 8 years) why we didn't sleep together any more (I've tried to talk about this for the last couple of years. But never quite plucked up the courage. I asked if it was because of my weight and he didn't deny it. So I a, taking that as a yes. He doesn't find me attractive since I have put weight on. I am a U.K. size 16. I know I need to lose weight but I am heartbroken. He says he loves me and I am lovely but I obviously repulse him. I thought he loved me unconditionally but turns he doesn't. I am heartbroken.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I completely lost my whole self and realized I needed accountability and some support to really change.

My strength, shape, and drive all dissipated after having my last baby and I didn't "bounce back" as I expected with injuries and post-partum depression. So the self-hate every day just had to stop.

Also, I noticed I was getting a double chin!
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    My favorite clothes didn't fit anymore and I became really, really unhappy with myself as a whole.
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    When I pulled out my "fat" summer clothes from last year and they were tight.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I went to get a tattoo and my friend took a picture of me while it was getting done. I was appalled. I looked as big as a house!

I was trying to get answers for my low energy and crazy weight gain for two years. It took three doctors before one took me seriously and did all the necessary tests. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid/Hoshimoto's and I finally had the answer I was desperately searching for. So many years of beginning to eat well and exercise and then dropping off due to motivation loss/literally zero energy! So many years wasted feeling and looking like I did. Since October 2016, I've lost 46 pounds.

The 6 I lost without changing or trying anything different other than medication. The 40 I lost with Weight Watchers and a hardcore gym class 3x a week since January 22nd 2017.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    bossyfairy wrote: »
    Main reason is I don't feel healthy / good about myself and I am getting pretty close to being 40.

But stupidly on Friday I asked my boyfriend (of 8 years) why we didn't sleep together any more (I've tried to talk about this for the last couple of years. But never quite plucked up the courage. I asked if it was because of my weight and he didn't deny it. So I a, taking that as a yes. He doesn't find me attractive since I have put weight on. I am a U.K. size 16. I know I need to lose weight but I am heartbroken. He says he loves me and I am lovely but I obviously repulse him. I thought he loved me unconditionally but turns he doesn't. I am heartbroken.

A man that loves you will love you regardless of your size, your changing styles and looks, through differences and illnesses and the whole 9 yards. Just my two cents.
  • locadeatar
    locadeatar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I was miserable for years, depression, low self-esteem, etc...
    Looking around for a way to feel better, be happier, I decided to start loving myself: wholly, completely, extra lumps and all. It was a process that took me years, but part of loving yourself is taking care of your body...almost as a side effect, I started losing weight.
    Noticing that I was feeling happier than ever, I made a conscious effort to look after my health, counting calories and working out more. Slowly, but surely, the pounds are coming off and now I'm at my lowest weight in years.
    Still have about 15 pounds left to lose to hit my goal, but I'm proud of myself for sticking to it and never giving up.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!