Safe?

Options

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    rjel78 wrote: »
    So I just got done at the doctors and it was not a good visit, as I gained 5 lbs since my last visit. He suggested weight loss surgery but without insurance it would cost 4 million dollars out of pocket...he then gave me a prescilription for Adipex, which I have never heard of but the side affects are pretty scary. Anyone else take this and if so what were your experiences?

I'm still stuck on the 4 million dollar part...I can see it being $100 000+ but 4 million seems like a wild exaggeration!

In my area you can get gastric bypass surgery done for under $25,000, other options like the sleeve are even cheaper. I know people who've paid for it oop, without insurance, (they re-gained the weight back, plus some btw).
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,948 Member
    Options
    I disagree @kshama2001 - why would you suggest he eat more? 2000 was his doctor's recommendation and he can get plenty of nutrition on that. 3300 is just delaying the inevitable. The only reason to eat that much is as a step-down process. He's not exercising. He's more than 200 pounds over weight.
  • princeofmind
    princeofmind Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I do not have endurance and am unemployed so I cannot afford surgery. I do have a good scale, log my food,etc. also he did briefly discuss the side effects but doctors say a lot of things so I want a non-doctors opinion on this. I have tried different things, including switching up foods and exercise and nothing is really working, or not as fast as I want it too. I only drink 2 diet sodas a week now, as everything else is either water or coffee. This is not like I did not make an attempt and was lazy, my body is different than others so what I did may have made others lose 40 lbs. I really want this weight off but I'm struggling right now.

On http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10573374/caloric-intake-question you said your doctor suggested 2,000 calories per day, and with 200 pounds to lose, that probably is too little for you. I'm female, a lot lighter, and presumably shorter and older as well, and I can lose weight on 2,000 calories gross (gross calories include calories I earned from exercise.)

Have you been sticking to 3,300, and for how long? Obviously, with 1,300 more calories, weight loss would be slower, but this may be more sustainable for you and thus give you better results than if you give up in despair.

I spent some time figuring out what foods fill me up the best. When I focus on them, I am only hungry right before meals.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

I would ignore the first bit of advice given.
    Always trust a doctor over a stranger on the internet.
    The doctor gave personal advice to you after meeting you.
    They have studied for years for this.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I do not have endurance and am unemployed so I cannot afford surgery. I do have a good scale, log my food,etc. also he did briefly discuss the side effects but doctors say a lot of things so I want a non-doctors opinion on this. I have tried different things, including switching up foods and exercise and nothing is really working, or not as fast as I want it too. I only drink 2 diet sodas a week now, as everything else is either water or coffee. This is not like I did not make an attempt and was lazy, my body is different than others so what I did may have made others lose 40 lbs. I really want this weight off but I'm struggling right now.

In what way is your body 'different'?

+1 to this...how is your body different and what did you do that would have made others lose 40lbs, but didn't work for you???
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

On http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10573374/caloric-intake-question you said your doctor suggested 2,000 calories per day, and with 200 pounds to lose, that probably is too little for you. I'm female, a lot lighter, and presumably shorter and older as well, and I can lose weight on 2,000 calories gross (gross calories include calories I earned from exercise.)

Have you been sticking to 3,300, and for how long? Obviously, with 1,300 more calories, weight loss would be slower, but this may be more sustainable for you and thus give you better results than if you give up in despair.

I spent some time figuring out what foods fill me up the best. When I focus on them, I am only hungry right before meals.

Understanding satiety: feeling full after a meal

...Tips on how to feel fuller

So how can we best try to enhance these feelings of fullness to help us control how much we eat? Here are some top tips for helping you feel fuller:
    1. Foods high in protein seem to make us feel fuller than foods high in fat or carbohydrate, so including some protein at every meal should help keep you satisfied. Foods high in protein include meats such as chicken, ham or beef, fish, eggs, beans and pulses.
    2. If you are watching your weight, opt for lower fat versions, using leaner cuts of meat, cutting off visible fat and avoiding the skin on poultry as this will help reduce the energy density of the diet, which can help to enhance satiety (see below).
    3. Foods that are high in fibre may also enhance feelings of fullness so try to include plenty of high-fibre foods in the diet such as wholegrain bread and cereals, beans and pulses and fruit and vegetables.
    4. Alcohol seems to stimulate appetite in the short-term and therefore drinking alcohol is likely to encourage us to eat more. Alcoholic beverages can make you forget about your intentions to eat healthily by making you lose your inhibitions. Alcoholic drinks are also calorific, so you should cut down on alcohol consumption if you are trying to control your weight.
    5. The ‘energy density’ of food has a strong influence on feelings of fullness or satiety. Energy density is the amount of energy (or calories) per gram of food. Lower energy density foods provide less energy per gram of food so you can eat more of them without consuming too many calories. Low energy density foods include fruit and vegetables, foods with lots of water added when cooking such as soups and stews, and lower fat foods. Click here for more information on energy density.

Read more: http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html

I would ignore the first bit of advice given.
    Always trust a doctor over a stranger on the internet.
    The doctor gave personal advice to you after meeting you.
    They have studied for years for this.

Many doctors have very little education/background in nutrition. Over the past few years I've had 3 doctors-the one who studied sports nutrition and had a background in that area gave me much different advice than the other 2 (I saw the 3 of them in the context of annual well check-ups). All 3 were MDs, but only 1 had any idea what he was talking about in the context of nutrition. The other two were clueless.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I cant get passed the $4mil.
    No.
    "Doctors say a lot of things"... I need opinions from non-doctors on medicine.

Dear~
    Speak to a pharmacist about the meds in questions.
    You can take all the pills you want- You can have your 4 MILLION dollar operation but you will have learned nothing.
  • rjel78
    rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am seeking options on the medication he gave and what people have thought of it, no more no less. I realize that people on the internet are not experts, I would have to be an idiot to think that. The $4 million dollars was a joke. I was simply stating that everyone's body is different and would react different to certain exercises and medication. I was just seeking advice on the medication mentioned in the beginning, and again, I know people on the internet are no experts. I just wanted to get a sense of the medication through people on a forum like this, who weren't doctors
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    We can't see your food log nor do we know anything about other health conditions, therefore we're just guessing what you're doing and why you are gaining. However, I would ditch the diet sodas and substitute seltzer water that you put a slice of fruit or a herb leaf or a vegetable in for flavor.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    One of the first steps in getting a $4 mil weight loss surgery (heh) is losing weight on your own through calorie restriction. You'll have to do it one way or the other. The pills might help you, but they work by making you want to eat fewer calories. Then you have to stop taking it and will have to restrict calories on your own even if you feel like eating a whole house.

Whatever you choose, good luck.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I am seeking options on the medication he gave and what people have thought of it, no more no less. I realize that people on the internet are not experts, I would have to be an idiot to think that. The $4 million dollars was a joke. I was simply stating that everyone's body is different and would react different to certain exercises and medication. I was just seeking advice on the medication mentioned in the beginning, and again, I know people on the internet are no experts. I just wanted to get a sense of the medication through people on a forum like this, who weren't doctors

To the extent that this is true, why would someone else's experience with the medication be more valuable than the advice of your doctor, who has a much better chance of knowing in what ways you might react to the medication than strangers on the Internet. For instance, your doctor would be more likely to know if you are taking other medications or have other medical complications for which the medication is counterindicated or not.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Give up on the timeline of losing quickly. Losing slowly is still a loss. If you can lose a pound a week, you'll be down 52 pounds by this time next year. That's much better than the slow upward creep you have now. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. The weight loss period lets you practice for the maintenance period, which lasts forever and doesn't have the positive feedback of seeing yourself drop pounds.

People don't all have the exact same calorie burns throughout the day, BMR or TDEE, even with the same stats. It's a range and you take what the online calculators give you as a starting point and then figure out your personal numbers. I have a lower-than-average BMR and don't burn as many calories from exercise as Fitbit says I should. So what? That doesn't mean that I can't lose weight, it just means that I don't lose at the estimated rate. I've lost about 130 pounds over the past 28 months or so. It might take me another year to lose 10-15 more pounds to reach my ultimate goal.

2000 calories would be a bounty for me. I ate at about 1350 for a couple of years and it's looking like my maintenance will be around 1550. Such is life if I really want to maintain my weight loss.

Don't abandon your plan when it doesn't work quickly or in the weight loss amounts that you want. Follow the process consistently over time and you'll lose weight over time.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    1.I do not have endurance and am unemployed so I cannot afford surgery.
    2. I do have a good scale, log my food,etc. also he did briefly discuss the side effects but doctors say a lot of things so I want a non-doctors opinion on this.
    3.I have tried different things, including switching up foods and exercise and nothing is really working, or not as fast as I want it too.
    4. I only drink 2 diet sodas a week now, as everything else is either water or coffee.
    5. This is not like I did not make an attempt and was lazy, my body is different than others so what I did may have made others lose 40 lbs. I really want this weight off but I'm struggling right now.

1. You will lose weight simply by a calorie deficit. You don't need to exercise to lose weight

I think he meant that he doesn't have "insurance" not "endurance".

• Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I am sorry OP but if you gained 5lbs of fat ( not water weight or food weight ) then you are not weighing your food on a scale or logging properly. you are leaving something out or making guesses.

What kind of time line are we talking about here that you are getting impatient with in losing weight that would have been 40lbs to other people? what are your daily calorie averages for the last few months? We need more information to help you.
  • rjel78
    rjel78 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am logging things properly but occasionally I will go over my calories. I gained 5 lbs since I last seen him 6 months ago. I've been trying to lose weight for years but I'm saying everyone is different so people may lose weight quicker than me, with doing what I'm doing. Between 2,000-2500 is what I aim for
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am logging things properly but occasionally I will go over my calories. I gained 5 lbs since I last seen him 6 months ago. I've been trying to lose weight for years but I'm saying everyone is different so people may lose weight quicker than me, with doing what I'm doing. Between 2,000-2500 is what I aim for
    That's true but irrelevant. You are you and they are them. You have your body to work with, not theirs. Don't worry about quick, worry about end results.

There will be days when you are on-point with your calories and days where you aren't. When you have a day (or better yet, meal) where you eat more calories than your plan allows, jump right back onto your plan.

You can do this!